Skip to main content

4 hours of fire and chaos: How the Benghazi attack unfolded

By Sarah Aarthun, CNN
September 13, 2012 -- Updated 1349 GMT (2149 HKT)
  • The attack began after protesters began massing outside the consulate
  • A small group of militants opened fire on the complex and gained entry
  • The militants set fire to the main building with the U.S. ambassador still inside
  • Control was regained more than four hours later

(CNN) -- Inside a safe room of the U.S. consulate in Benghazi, Libya, Ambassador Chris Stevens took cover with two other foreign service officers.

Just minutes earlier, a group of heavily armed militants launched an attack on the complex, pelting it with gunfire and rocket-propelled grenades.

The attackers ignited a fire in the building and the safe room was filling with smoke.

Six things to know about the attack

Stevens, Foreign Service information management officer Sean Smith and a U.S. regional security officer would soon be forced to leave their temporary refuge from the assault.

Senior administration officials called the conditions inside "awful," describing "incredibly thick smoke and fire."

The officials, while still trying to piece together the details of how the Tuesday night consulate attack unfolded, began Wednesday to give a clearer picture of events.

Attackers set the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, on fire on September 11, 2012. The U.S. ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, and three other U.S. nationals were killed during the attack. The Obama administration initially thought the attack was carried out by an angry mob responding to a video, made in the United States, that mocked Islam and the Prophet Mohammed. But the storming of the mission was later determined to have been a terrorist attack. Attackers set the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, on fire on September 11, 2012. The U.S. ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, and three other U.S. nationals were killed during the attack. The Obama administration initially thought the attack was carried out by an angry mob responding to a video, made in the United States, that mocked Islam and the Prophet Mohammed. But the storming of the mission was later determined to have been a terrorist attack.
Attack on U.S. mission in Benghazi
Photos: Attack on U.S. mission in Benghazi Photos: Attack on U.S. mission in Benghazi
Libyan attacks on 9/11 no coincidence
US consulate attack in Libya
U.S. troops to protect embassy in Libya
Obama: 'Justice will be done'

The violence began around 10 p.m. Tuesday amid a protest by the radical Islamist group Ansar Al-Sharia against a film mocking Islam's prophet.

Four hours later, the consulate was destroyed, its walls blackened by shooting flames. Four Americans, including Stevens and Smith, were dead.

Within 15 minutes of the first gunshots, the attackers were able to enter the main compound of the consulate complex and set it ablaze.

Stevens, Smith and a regional security officer were the only people inside the building at the time.

Photos taken Tuesday night show flames shooting from every orifice of the building as militants wielding weapons walk through the compound.

The heavy, black smoke added to the confusion of the situation and the three diplomatic officers became separated as they evacuated the safe room, the administration officials said.

Blog: Pentagon reviews attack video

Meanwhile, American and Libyan security personnel, forced to fend off an attack on the outside and the raging fire within, were grappling with how to handle the increasingly complicated scene, U.S. officials said.

The regional security officer with Stevens and Smith managed to escape the building and returned with others to try to rescue the men. For Smith, the rescue came too late. He had already succumbed to smoke inhalation by the time they arrived. Stevens, in Benghazi on a short trip from the capital Tripoli, was missing, apparently able to make his way out unnoticed in the chaos.

About 45 minutes after the first gunshots rang out, security personnel attempted to retake the main compound, but were repelled by heavy gunfire and retreated to an annex in the complex.

Libya, West react to killings, film controversy

They made a second attempt at 11:20 p.m. -- more than an hour after the attack began -- and successfully regained control of the main building.

But the incident was far from over. The gunbattle continued and the attack moved from the main compound to the complex's annex.

"It was during that time that two additional U.S. personnel were killed and two others were wounded," one of the senior administration officials said.

Finally, around 2:30 a.m., four and a half hours into the attack, U.S. security personnel, assisted by Libyan forces, took back control of the entire consulate complex.

Still unknown at that time, however, was Stevens' whereabouts.

Stevens warned in '08 about extremists near Benghazi

Libyans said bystanders had helped carry an unconscious Stevens to a hospital. However, U.S. officials could not confirm that account.

"We are not clear on the circumstances between the time he got separated from the rest of the group inside the burning building to the time we were notified that he was in a Benghazi hospital," the senior administration official said. "We were not able to see him until his body was returned to us at the airport."

Also unclear Wednesday was the significance of the timing of the attack, which fell on the 11th anniversary of the September 11 attacks on New York and Washington and coincided with a violent protest at the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, Egypt.

State Department officials said the two incidents at the diplomatic missions were not related and said they believe the Benghazi violence was a "clearly planned attack."

Why Muslims are sensitive on prophet

"It was not an innocent mob," one senior official said. "The video or 9/11 made a handy excuse and could be fortuitous from their perspective but this was a clearly planned military-type attack."

U.S. President Barack Obama, however, said it was too early to say whether the attack was pre-planned.

As dawn broke Wednesday, the magnitude of the previous night's events were felt by both Americans and Libyans. Charred debris and ash littered the floor of the burned-out consulate. A small American flag lay amid the rubble. And both the governments of the United States and Libya, on this "very, very difficult day," mourned the loss of Stevens, who had helped save Benghazi during last year's revolution.

"He risked his life to stop a tyrant, then gave his life trying to help build a better Libya," U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said.

Witnessing protests in Libya or Egypt? Share your photos on CNN iReport.

CNN's Tom Cohen, Elise Labott and Jill Dougherty contributed to this report.

Part of complete coverage on
March 6, 2013 -- Updated 0036 GMT (0836 HKT)
Shortly after the attack on the U.S. diplomatic compound in Benghazi last September, a phone call was placed from the area.
February 8, 2013 -- Updated 0207 GMT (1007 HKT)
A testy exchange erupted between Sen. John McCain and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey during the latter's testimony about September's deadly attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya.
January 24, 2013 -- Updated 1416 GMT (2216 HKT)
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton took on Republican congressional critics of her department's handling of the deadly September terrorist attack in Libya.
January 24, 2013 -- Updated 0122 GMT (0922 HKT)
The Pentagon released an hour-by-hour timeline of the September 11 assault on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.
January 29, 2013 -- Updated 1613 GMT (0013 HKT)
Bilal Bettamer wants to save Benghazi from those he calls "extremely dangerous people." But his campaign against the criminal and extremist groups that plague the city has put his life at risk.
September 23, 2012 -- Updated 1216 GMT (2016 HKT)
Two former Navy SEALs who died last week in an attack on a U.S. consulate in Libya died after rushing to help their colleagues.
September 19, 2012 -- Updated 0224 GMT (1024 HKT)
The former Pakistani Ambassador to the UK, Akbar Ahmed, explains why an anti-Islam film has triggered massive protests.
September 14, 2012 -- Updated 1501 GMT (2301 HKT)
The fall of dictatorships does not guarantee the creation of free societies, says Ed Husain, author of "The Islamist."
September 25, 2012 -- Updated 1532 GMT (2332 HKT)
Protests have swept the world following the online release of a film that depicts the Prophet Mohammed as a womanizer, child molester and killer.
September 19, 2012 -- Updated 2256 GMT (0656 HKT)
A satirical magazine pours further oil on the fiery debate between freedom of expression and offensive provocation.
Was the attack on the Libyan U.S. Consulate the result of a mob gone awry, a planned terror attack or a combination of the two?
The images of the American embassy burning in Benghazi might have conjured up memories of Tehran in 1979 but the analogy is false.
September 17, 2012 -- Updated 1457 GMT (2257 HKT)
Libyan authorities have made more arrests in connection with the attack on the U.S. consulate that left four Americans dead.
September 17, 2012 -- Updated 2359 GMT (0759 HKT)
Three days before the deadly attack in Benghazi, a local security official says he warned U.S. diplomats about deteriorating security.
For the latest news on developments in the Middle East and North Africa in Arabic.