English FA offer apology on Hillsborough

The English FA has issued a statement expressing regret and sympathy to the families affected by the Hillsborough disaster

Story highlights

  • English football's governing body issues apology for football stadium disaster which claimed 96 lives in 1989
  • Hillsborough Stadium in Sheffield selected to host FA Cup semifinal match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest
  • Liverpool manager, Brendan Rodgers expresses sympathy for families of victims

The English Football Association (FA) added its voice to the chorus of apologies that have come in the wake of Wednesday's report into the Hillsborough Football Stadium tragedy which claimed the lives of 96 people in 1989.

FA Chairman, David Bernstein said the FA was "deeply sorry this tragedy occurred at a venue The FA selected" and in a competition (the FA Cup) run by the governing body.

"On behalf of The Football Association I offer a full and unreserved apology and express sincere condolences to all of the families of those who lost their lives and to everyone connected to the City of Liverpool and Liverpool Football Club," Bernstein said in a video posted on the FA website.

Panel: Police at fault in response to deadly UK stadium football crush

"This should never have happened. Nobody should lose their lives when setting out to attend a football match and it is a matter of extreme regret and sadness that it has taken so long for these findings to be published and the truth to be told."

Report: Police blamed for stadium tragedy
Report: Police blamed for stadium tragedy

    JUST WATCHED

    Report: Police blamed for stadium tragedy

MUST WATCH

Report: Police blamed for stadium tragedy 02:51
PLAY VIDEO

The Hillsborough Independent Panel report concluded that there had been serious failings by the police and emergency services as the disaster unfolded before the FA Cup semifinal match between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest.

Hillsborough stadium tragedy explained
Hillsborough stadium tragedy explained

    JUST WATCHED

    Hillsborough stadium tragedy explained

MUST WATCH

Hillsborough stadium tragedy explained 02:00
PLAY VIDEO

The panel said evidence indicated that as many as 41 of those crushed could potentially have survived.

"A swifter, more appropriate, better focused and properly equipped response had the potential to save more lives," the report said.

Bernstein commended the professional work of the panel while also praising the family support groups and others for their "tireless commitment" in pursuing justice for the victims.

"For 23 years, the families have suffered unbearable pain and we have profound sympathy for them," Bernstein said.

The sentiment was echoed by current Liverpool manager, Brendan Rodgers.

"We have all suffered death in our lives but to have it happen to your son, daughter, brother, sister, and then have a campaign against that -- you can't begin to imagine what that must feel like," Rodgers said Thursday.

"My respect goes out to everyone involved in that process over 23 long, hard, arduous years and hopefully they found some sort of justice," he added.

"I have met with some of the campaigners since I've been here and had a shortened version of what they have been through and it has been remarkable really for all the families.

"These have suffered and none of us can begin to imagine what they have been through. Everyone will draw inspiration from how hard they have fought and the time and effort which goes into protecting those loved ones."

        Football Focus

      • French football great bids adieu

        After 20 years, more than 300 goals and a host of major honors, Thierry Henry has called time on his glittering football career.
      • Mario's 'Queen' tweet tops 2014 list

        He might be struggling to score goals for Liverpool, but Mario Balotelli's cheeky tweet about the British monarch hit the spot during the World Cup.
      • bpr south african soccor senzo meyiwa death _00000402.jpg

        Loss of a South African 'icon'

        Football world mourns South African captain Senzo Meyiwa who was shot and killed during a botched robbery in a township near Johannesburg.
      • German alleged jihadist Kreshnik B (R) listens to his lawyer Mutlu Guenal (L) as he arrives at the higher regional court in Frankfurt. His face is pixelated for legal reasons.

        From Jewish football to ISIS suspect

        Once part of Germany's largest Jewish sports club, now he's the first ISIS suspect to stand trial in a country left shocked by his alleged radicalization.
      • Where has 'Super' Mario gone?

        One goal in eight matches for new club Liverpool, and dumped by the Italian national team -- Mario Balotelli has yet to shine on his English return.
      • Ched Evans smiles during the Wales training session ahead of their UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against England on March 25, 2011 in Cardiff, Wales.

        Should rapist return to work?

        Should a convicted rapist, who has served their time in prison, be allowed to resume their old job? What if that job was as a high-profile football player?
      • Teen, 15, makes Euro history

        Norwegian 15-year-old Martin Odegaard is the youngest player ever to feature in a European Championships qualifying match.