Actress in anti-Islamic film files lawsuit against filmmaker and YouTube

Cindy Lee Garcia, one of the actresses in "Innocence of Islam," is suing the producer of the film, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula.

Story highlights

  • Actress Cindy Lee Garcia appears in "Innocence of Muslims"
  • The anti-Islam film ignited a firestorm, and Garcia says she has received death threats
  • Garcia is suing the film's producer, saying she was lied to about the film's intent
  • "I had no idea he was doing all this," Garcia tells CNN

One of the actresses in "Innocence of Muslims" -- the anti-Islam film that ignited a firestorm in the Muslim world -- is suing the producer of the film, Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, claiming she is a victim of fraud, invasion of privacy and misappropriation of her likeness.

In a 17-page complaint filed Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, the lawsuit from Cindy Lee Garcia also names YouTube LLC, the video-sharing website on which the video is posted, and its parent company, Google Inc., as causing irreparable harm to Ms. Garcia for refusing to remove the content from their site.

""The lawsuit is not an attack on the First Amendment or the right of Americans to say what they think," but it demands the content be pulled off because "Ms. Garcia in no way consented to the use of her performance, image or likeness in such an offensive and vile film," Garcia's attorney, M. Cris Armenta, said in a statement.

In an interview with CNN, Garcia said she spoke with the producer after the unrest began.

Anti-Islamic filmmaker exposed
Anti-Islamic filmmaker exposed

    JUST WATCHED

    Anti-Islamic filmmaker exposed

MUST WATCH

Anti-Islamic filmmaker exposed 01:49
PLAY VIDEO
Anti-Islam filmmaker questioned
Anti-Islam filmmaker questioned

    JUST WATCHED

    Anti-Islam filmmaker questioned

MUST WATCH

Anti-Islam filmmaker questioned 01:25
PLAY VIDEO
Why the film upset so many Muslims
Why the film upset so many Muslims

    JUST WATCHED

    Why the film upset so many Muslims

MUST WATCH

Why the film upset so many Muslims 04:16
PLAY VIDEO
Media misfire on anti-Islam movie
Media misfire on anti-Islam movie

    JUST WATCHED

    Media misfire on anti-Islam movie

MUST WATCH

Media misfire on anti-Islam movie 05:12
PLAY VIDEO

"He said he wrote the script because he wants the Muslims to quit killing," Garcia said. "I had no idea he was doing all this."

Actor: Anti-Islam filmmaker 'was playing us along'

Last week, Garcia told CNN she had been unaware that her voice was dubbed but the lawsuit alleges even further voice-over alternations of her on-camera dialogue."

The producers' representations that he "intended to make an 'adventure film' and that plaintiff would be depicted as a concerned mother, were false," the suit claims. "Defendant ... made an anti-Islam propaganda film, in which plaintiff is falsely made to appear to accuse the founder of the Islamic religion of being a sexual deviant and child molester," the suit says.

On Wednesday, 79 cast and crew members released a statement saying they were "extremely upset and feel taken advantage of by the producer."

They said they were "shocked by the drastic rewrites of the script and lies that were told to all involved. We are deeply saddened by the tragedies that have occurred."

The lawsuit seeks compensatory and punitive damages against Nakoula for invasion of privacy, fraud, negligence, and the intentional infliction of emotional distress. "Ms. Garcia has lost her job, her privacy, and has suffered extreme distress over Nakoula's acts," according to the lawsuit.

According to the complaint, YouTube privately informed Ms. Garcia that it will not voluntarily remove the content of the video. Attorney Armenta said that on Thursday, she will seek an emergency temporary restraining order against Nakoula and YouTube, asking that the content be removed permanently.

No let-up in protests over anti-Islam film

Garcia claims since the film's backlash, she has received death threats and unable to visit her grandchildren out of fear that they will be harmed.

Calls to representatives of Mr. Nakoula were not immediately returned.

YouTube responded to e-mail inquiries from CNN with an e-mail stating: "We are reviewing the complaint and will be in court tomorrow."

Opinion: Should Google censor an anti-Islam video?

        Attacks on U.S. missions

      • Panetta, Dempsey defend U.S. response

        A testy exchange erupted between Sen. John McCain and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey during the latter's testimony about September's deadly attack on the U.S. diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya.
      • Five things from the Benghazi hearings

        Secretary of State Hillary Clinton took on Republican congressional critics of her department's handling of the deadly September terrorist attack in Libya.
      • Children in Benghazi hold up placards reading "No to terrorism" (R) and "yes for stability and security" on January 15.

        Benghazi tries to escape its ghosts

        Bilal Bettamer wants to save Benghazi from those he calls "extremely dangerous people." But his campaign against the criminal and extremist groups that plague the city has put his life at risk.
      • Protesters near the US Embassy in Cairo.

        Dispute over how attack began

        Was the attack on the Libyan U.S. Consulate the result of a mob gone awry, a planned terror attack or a combination of the two?
      • Image #: 19358881    Christopher Stevens, the U.S. ambassador to Libya, smiles at his home in Tripoli June 28, 2012. Stevens and three embassy staff were killed late on September 11, 2012, as they rushed away from a consulate building in Benghazi, stormed by al Qaeda-linked gunmen blaming America for a film that they said insulted the Prophet Mohammad. Stevens was trying to leave the consulate building for a safer location as part of an evacuation when gunmen launched an intense attack, apparently forcing security personnel to withdraw. Picture taken June 28, 2012. REUTERS/Esam Al-Fetori (LIBYA - Tags: POLITICS CIVIL UNREST OBITUARY)       REUTERS /ESAM OMRAN AL-FETORI /LANDOV

        U.S. ambassador's last moments

        Three days before the deadly attack in Benghazi, a local security official says he warned U.S. diplomats about deteriorating security.
      • CNN Arabic

        For the latest news on developments in the Middle East and North Africa in Arabic.