Sao Paulo to sign Santos star Ganso

Ganso is set to complete his move to Sao Paulo after the two clubs agreed a $12 million fee for the Brazil midfielder.

Story highlights

  • Sao Paulo will pay around $12 million for Brazil star
  • Ganso: "It's a dream come true"
  • Midfielder had been linked with Inter Milan
  • Wants to reclaim his place in national team

Sao Paulo has confirmed it will complete the signing of Brazil playmaker Paulo Henrique Ganso from Santos in a deal worth an estimated $12 million.

The 22-year-old midfielder will put pen to paper on a five-year contract after the two clubs came to an agreement late on Thursday.

The Brazil international has made just 26 appearances this year after suffering from knee and muscles problems.

He missed seven months of the 2010 season after undergoing surgery on his left knee before returning to form.

Alongside Neymar, Ganso helped Santos win the Brazilian Cup in 2010 and the Copa Libertadores in 2011.

Brazil's World Cup countdown
Brazil's World Cup countdown

    JUST WATCHED

    Brazil's World Cup countdown

MUST WATCH

Brazil's World Cup countdown 02:04
PLAY VIDEO
Footless footballer to meet Messi
Footless footballer to meet Messi

    JUST WATCHED

    Footless footballer to meet Messi

MUST WATCH

Footless footballer to meet Messi 02:26
PLAY VIDEO
Rio secures favelas ahead of World Cup
Rio secures favelas ahead of World Cup

    JUST WATCHED

    Rio secures favelas ahead of World Cup

MUST WATCH

Rio secures favelas ahead of World Cup 02:24
PLAY VIDEO

Sao Paulo football director Adalberto Baptista told the club website: "Ganso showed throughout the negotiating a great willingness towards Sao Paulo.

"He gave up big things and was firm in his desire. If it wasn't for his desire, we would had given up."

"It's a dream come true,'' Ganso was reported to have said by AP.

"Ever since Sao Paulo showed interest in signing me I wanted to get the deal done. I can't wait to get on the field and pay back for all the effort that the club directors put into this.''

Santos has also managed to negotiate a 5% sell-on fee into the deal after finally relenting in its stance of not selling Ganso to a rival.

Several European clubs including Inter Milan, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur had reportedly shown interest in the player but no bids were received.

The player made little secret of his desire to leave the club with fans launching protests after learning of his plans.

Santos' failure to award him the same wage package as Neymar is thought to be the chief reason for Ganso's decision.

The player will now hope to kick-start his career following a number of injury problems and a dip in form which cost him a place in Brazil's Olympic squad, where he was replaced by Chelsea playmaker Oscar.

And with the World Cup arriving in Brazil in 2014, Ganso will plan to show national coach Mano Menezes he is ready to lead his country's challenge on home soil.

.

        Football Focus

      • French football great bids adieu

        After 20 years, more than 300 goals and a host of major honors, Thierry Henry has called time on his glittering football career.
      • Mario's 'Queen' tweet tops 2014 list

        He might be struggling to score goals for Liverpool, but Mario Balotelli's cheeky tweet about the British monarch hit the spot during the World Cup.
      • bpr south african soccor senzo meyiwa death _00000402.jpg

        Loss of a South African 'icon'

        Football world mourns South African captain Senzo Meyiwa who was shot and killed during a botched robbery in a township near Johannesburg.
      • German alleged jihadist Kreshnik B (R) listens to his lawyer Mutlu Guenal (L) as he arrives at the higher regional court in Frankfurt. His face is pixelated for legal reasons.

        From Jewish football to ISIS suspect

        Once part of Germany's largest Jewish sports club, now he's the first ISIS suspect to stand trial in a country left shocked by his alleged radicalization.
      • Where has 'Super' Mario gone?

        One goal in eight matches for new club Liverpool, and dumped by the Italian national team -- Mario Balotelli has yet to shine on his English return.
      • Ched Evans smiles during the Wales training session ahead of their UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against England on March 25, 2011 in Cardiff, Wales.

        Should rapist return to work?

        Should a convicted rapist, who has served their time in prison, be allowed to resume their old job? What if that job was as a high-profile football player?
      • Teen, 15, makes Euro history

        Norwegian 15-year-old Martin Odegaard is the youngest player ever to feature in a European Championships qualifying match.