Terry found guilty in racism case
September 28, 2012 -- Updated 0825 GMT (1625 HKT)
Chelsea's John Terry will be forced to miss four matches and pay a fine of $356,000 after being found guilty by the FA.
- England's Football Association's hand $356,000 fine and four-match ban
- Terry was cleared by London court last July of racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand
- Former England captain charged by FA with using abusive and/or insulting words and/or behavior
- Defender retired from international football after his position became 'untenable'
(CNN) -- Chelsea captain John Terry has been been hit with a four-match ban and a $356,000 fine after being found guilty of racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand.
The incident occurred during Chelsea's English Premier League game against London rivals Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road last October.
In July the 31-year-old had been found not guilty of a racially aggravated public order offence at Westminster Magistrates' Court.
But the FA requires a lower burden of proof than an English court and after four-day hearing the Chelsea skipper was found guilty "with using abusive and/or insulting words and/or behavior towards" Ferdinand.
Mourinho: John Terry is not a racist
Collymore on John Terry quitting
Football pioneer on racist abuse
'It's Not Black & White'
Racism remains "significant" problem in English football
The defender will be available for Chelsea's game against Arsenal on Saturday as the ban will not come into effect until the end of the appeal process.
This is the second high-profile case of racist abuse on the football field following the incident between Liverpool's Luis Suarez and Manchester United's Patrice Evra last year.
Suarez gave 'unreliable' evidence to racial abuse hearing, says FA report
The Liverpool striker was banned for eight matches and fined $65,000 after being found guilty of misconduct, regarding "using insulting words towards" Evra during the game at Anfield on October 15 2011.
Terry retires from England amid racism case
The verdict comes just days after Terry announced his retirement from international football.
The Chelsea defender, who won 78 caps for his country, captained England in two separate spells.
Terry claimed that the FA had made his position within the national team 'untenable'.
His representatives, Elite Management, said in a statement released on his behalf: "John Terry is disappointed that the FA Regulatory Commission has reached a different conclusion to the clear not guilty verdict of a court of law.
"He has asked for the detailed written reasons of the decision and will consider them carefully before deciding whether to lodge an appeal."
A statement from his club added: "Chelsea notes and respects today's decision by the Football Association regarding John Terry.
"We also recognise that John has the right to appeal that decision. It is therefore inappropriate for us to comment further on the matter at this time."
Sports lawyer Daniel Geey told CNN that Terry might have only got a four-game rather than eight-match as the Chelsea captain only used the phrase once rather than seven times as Suarez was found to have done by the FA.
Part of complete coverage on
Be part of CNN's coverage of European Champions League matches and join the social debate.
December 6, 2013 -- Updated 1134 GMT (1934 HKT)
The dreams of 32 footballing nations can begin at Friday's 2014 World Cup draw. It will be more complicated than most -- so click here for the lowdown.
CNN's Alex Thomas takes a brave punt on the 2014 champion ahead of Friday's World Cup draw.
December 5, 2013 -- Updated 1835 GMT (0235 HKT)
Pele has backed Brazil to deliver a "fantastic" World Cup amid growing fears the country will not be ready in time to host football's showpiece event.
December 4, 2013 -- Updated 1500 GMT (2300 HKT)
Adidas unveils official match ball, the Brazuca, and CEO Herbert Hainer discusses the tech behind it.
November 29, 2013 -- Updated 2209 GMT (0609 HKT)
Zahir Belounis contemplated suicide as he was stuck in Qatar for two years. But the footballer says it still deserves to host the 2022 World Cup.
November 29, 2013 -- Updated 1708 GMT (0108 HKT)
As he celebrates his 40th birthday, just what is the secret to Ryan Giggs' longevity?
Two Belgian "brain coaches" are helping transform AC Milan from big-spender to developer of young talent, says CNN's John Sinnott.
October 22, 2013 -- Updated 1457 GMT (2257 HKT)
Shootings, attempted assassinations and intimidation - welcome to Libyan football in 2013.
October 18, 2013 -- Updated 1129 GMT (1929 HKT)
Zahir Belounis' limbo existence is almost at an end. After a two-year nightmare, he has been told he will finally receive his Qatari exit visa.
October 10, 2013 -- Updated 1101 GMT (1901 HKT)
France's multicultural stars shone brightest at the World Cup 15 years ago -- now could it be Belgium's turn to do the same in Brazil next year?
Adnan Januzaj and Diego Costa have highlighted a major dilemma for international football, says CNN's John Sinnott.
CNN's Alex Thomas reports from FIFA HQ after the ruling body delayed its decision on the Qatar 2022 World Cup.
FIFA's credibility rides on finding a solution to the Qatar World Cup controversy, says CNN's Ben Wyatt.
October 2, 2013 -- Updated 1534 GMT (2334 HKT)
Zlatan Ibrahimovic may have cost Paris Saint-Germain $30 million, but you can get your own chunk of the Swedish striker for just $41.
Today's five most popular stories