Terry found guilty in racism case

Chelsea's John Terry will be forced to miss four matches and pay a fine of $356,000 after being found guilty by the FA.

Story highlights

  • England's Football Association's hand $356,000 fine and four-match ban
  • Terry was cleared by London court last July of racially abusing QPR's Anton Ferdinand
  • Former England captain charged by FA with using abusive and/or insulting words and/or behavior
  • Defender retired from international football after his position became 'untenable'

Chelsea captain John Terry has been been hit with a four-match ban and a $356,000 fine after being found guilty of racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand.

The incident occurred during Chelsea's English Premier League game against London rivals Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road last October.

In July the 31-year-old had been found not guilty of a racially aggravated public order offence at Westminster Magistrates' Court.

But the FA requires a lower burden of proof than an English court and after four-day hearing the Chelsea skipper was found guilty "with using abusive and/or insulting words and/or behavior towards" Ferdinand.

Racism remains "significant" problem in English football

Mourinho: John Terry is not a racist
Mourinho: John Terry is not a racist

    JUST WATCHED

    Mourinho: John Terry is not a racist

MUST WATCH

Mourinho: John Terry is not a racist 01:32
PLAY VIDEO
Collymore on John Terry quitting
Collymore on John Terry quitting

    JUST WATCHED

    Collymore on John Terry quitting

MUST WATCH

Collymore on John Terry quitting 03:07
PLAY VIDEO
Football pioneer on racist abuse
Football pioneer on racist abuse

    JUST WATCHED

    Football pioneer on racist abuse

MUST WATCH

Football pioneer on racist abuse 01:41
PLAY VIDEO
'It's Not Black & White'
'It's Not Black & White'

    JUST WATCHED

    'It's Not Black & White'

MUST WATCH

'It's Not Black & White' 02:05
PLAY VIDEO

The defender will be available for Chelsea's game against Arsenal on Saturday as the ban will not come into effect until the end of the appeal process.

This is the second high-profile case of racist abuse on the football field following the incident between Liverpool's Luis Suarez and Manchester United's Patrice Evra last year.

Suarez gave 'unreliable' evidence to racial abuse hearing, says FA report

The Liverpool striker was banned for eight matches and fined $65,000 after being found guilty of misconduct, regarding "using insulting words towards" Evra during the game at Anfield on October 15 2011.

Terry retires from England amid racism case

The verdict comes just days after Terry announced his retirement from international football.

The Chelsea defender, who won 78 caps for his country, captained England in two separate spells.

Terry claimed that the FA had made his position within the national team 'untenable'.

His representatives, Elite Management, said in a statement released on his behalf: "John Terry is disappointed that the FA Regulatory Commission has reached a different conclusion to the clear not guilty verdict of a court of law.

"He has asked for the detailed written reasons of the decision and will consider them carefully before deciding whether to lodge an appeal."

A statement from his club added: "Chelsea notes and respects today's decision by the Football Association regarding John Terry.

"We also recognise that John has the right to appeal that decision. It is therefore inappropriate for us to comment further on the matter at this time."

Sports lawyer Daniel Geey told CNN that Terry might have only got a four-game rather than eight-match as the Chelsea captain only used the phrase once rather than seven times as Suarez was found to have done by the FA.

        Football Focus

      • French football great bids adieu

        After 20 years, more than 300 goals and a host of major honors, Thierry Henry has called time on his glittering football career.
      • Mario's 'Queen' tweet tops 2014 list

        He might be struggling to score goals for Liverpool, but Mario Balotelli's cheeky tweet about the British monarch hit the spot during the World Cup.
      • bpr south african soccor senzo meyiwa death _00000402.jpg

        Loss of a South African 'icon'

        Football world mourns South African captain Senzo Meyiwa who was shot and killed during a botched robbery in a township near Johannesburg.
      • German alleged jihadist Kreshnik B (R) listens to his lawyer Mutlu Guenal (L) as he arrives at the higher regional court in Frankfurt. His face is pixelated for legal reasons.

        From Jewish football to ISIS suspect

        Once part of Germany's largest Jewish sports club, now he's the first ISIS suspect to stand trial in a country left shocked by his alleged radicalization.
      • Where has 'Super' Mario gone?

        One goal in eight matches for new club Liverpool, and dumped by the Italian national team -- Mario Balotelli has yet to shine on his English return.
      • Ched Evans smiles during the Wales training session ahead of their UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against England on March 25, 2011 in Cardiff, Wales.

        Should rapist return to work?

        Should a convicted rapist, who has served their time in prison, be allowed to resume their old job? What if that job was as a high-profile football player?
      • Teen, 15, makes Euro history

        Norwegian 15-year-old Martin Odegaard is the youngest player ever to feature in a European Championships qualifying match.