Skip to main content

Kidnapped Iranians freed in Libya

By the CNN Wire Staff
October 6, 2012 -- Updated 2345 GMT (0745 HKT)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The kidnap victims were members of the Red Crescent
  • They were kidnapped by unknown armed men in July
  • They were freed after being held for 65 days in Libya

(CNN) -- Seven members of the Iranian Red Crescent were freed in Libya on Saturday after 65 days in captivity, Iran's official Islamic Republic News Agency reported.

The hostages were handed over to the Iranian Embassy in Tripoli, the agency said, citing Iran's foreign minister.

All seven were in good health, and would return to Iran on Sunday, IRNA reported, citing an "informed source."

The Red Crescent members were kidnapped in Benghazi by unknown armed men in July, the International Committee of the Red Cross said.

The group had been returning to their hotel after signing a document with Libyan officials, IRNA said.

The release took place following contacts between Iranian officials and Libyan and Benghazi officials, IRNA reported.

CNN's Pierre Meilhan contributed to this report.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT