Skip to main content

Referees' union accepts Chelsea 'apology'

November 27, 2012 -- Updated 2105 GMT (0505 HKT)
Mark Clattenburg has been cleared of racially abusing Chelsea's Nigerian midfielder John Obi Mikel in late October
Mark Clattenburg has been cleared of racially abusing Chelsea's Nigerian midfielder John Obi Mikel in late October
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Referees' union Prospect accepts Chelsea statement as 'apology' to referee Mark Clattenburg
  • European champions issue statement outlining 'regrets' over allegations made against the 37-year-old
  • Prospect also drops compensation claims against the Premier League club

(CNN) -- Referees' union Prospect says it considers the statement issued by Chelsea regretting its allegations of racial abuse against match official Mark Clattenburg 'as an apology'.

In a joint statement with referees' body Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) and the Premier League, the European champions regretted 'not having given more consideration before issuing a statement' on 28 October accusing the referee or racism.

Last week, England's Football Association said there was 'no case to answer' over allegations that Clattenburg, 37, had racially abused Nigerian midfielder John Obi Mikel during Chelsea's 3-2 home defeat by Manchester United.

This followed a decision by police earlier this month to end their inquiries into the incident because of a lack of evidence.

Read: Clattenburg to face no action over racism complaint

Peter Cech: Refs need to be more open
Ronaldo's best ever goal?

"The use of the word "regrets" in relation to the swift issue of the club's statement publicizing the allegation ... and in relation to the impact on Mark and his family, were tantamount to and accepted by Mark and the group as an apology'," said Prospect in a statement.

The union also revealed that it has now dropped its demand for Chelsea to pay compensation in light of the statement released on Tuesday.

"The club regrets not having given more consideration before issuing a statement on the evening of Sunday 28th October," it read.

"The club also regrets the subsequent impact the intense media scrutiny had on Mark Clattenburg and his family.

"The referees accept that, given Chelsea FC had received a good faith claim from one of their employees, the club had an obligation under FA rules to report the allegation.

"Chelsea FC made it clear they would welcome Mark Clattenburg back to Stamford Bridge in the future and PGMOL would have no issue in appointing him to a Chelsea FC match going forward.

A day in the life of Cristiano Ronaldo
Mourinho: John Terry is not a racist

"All parties now believe it is time to draw a line under this incident, learn from it and move on for the good of all Premier League clubs, players and match officials."

The statement followed a meeting on Monday that included Clattenburg, Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck, PGMOL general manager Mike Riley and Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore.

The accusations arose after Chelsea midfielder Ramires claimed that the referee, who missed four weekends of Premier League matches while the FA investigated the allegations, had used racial language towards Mikel.

After being cleared by the FA last week, Clattenburg issued a statement of his own, saying: "To know you were innocent of something but that there was the opportunity for it to wreck your career was truly frightening."

Chelsea's allegations against Clattenburg came shortly after their captain John Terry had received a four-game ban following his racial abuse of Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand in a Premier League game last year.

On Wednesday, the referee will take charge of Southampton against Norwich City as Clattenburg returns to officiating a Premier League game for the first time since the allegations arose.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
July 27, 2014 -- Updated 1229 GMT (2029 HKT)
Major League Soccer has snared another big name from England with former Chelsea star Frank Lampard committing his future to New York City FC.
The U.S. government recognizes Kosovo, as do most European states, but getting football's ruling bodies to play ball has proved harder.
June 4, 2014 -- Updated 1504 GMT (2304 HKT)
National heroes don't always belong to one country. Ask France's World Cup hero Patrick Vieira, who is rediscovering his roots.
CNN's John Sinnott on the quiet Cambridge graduate behind Liverpool's resurgent campaign.
May 30, 2014 -- Updated 1519 GMT (2319 HKT)
They are the dispossessed -- stateless, and unrecognized by football's ruling body. But these teams will still play at their own World Cup.
Louis van Gaal will be a perfect fit for Manchester United the club, business and brand, says CNN's Patrick Snell.
May 19, 2014 -- Updated 1924 GMT (0324 HKT)
There's a new force in Spanish football -- and Atletico Madrid's ascendance is sharply contrasted by the fall from power of Barcelona.
May 13, 2014 -- Updated 1206 GMT (2006 HKT)
Rubber bullets, drones and FBI-trained riot police. Welcome to Brazil's 2014 World Cup -- will protests overshadow football's showpiece event?
May 9, 2014 -- Updated 1318 GMT (2118 HKT)
The former England international, who famously kicked a banana off the pitch 27 years ago, says education is the key to tackling racism.
May 7, 2014 -- Updated 1200 GMT (2000 HKT)
Of course not. But former Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed seems to think the removal of Michael Jackson's statue was a very "bad" idea.
May 7, 2014 -- Updated 1603 GMT (0003 HKT)
BARCELONA, SPAIN - APRIL 01: Neymar of Barcelona celebrates his goal during the UEFA Champions League Quarter Final first leg match between FC Barcelona and Club Atletico de Madrid at Camp Nou on April 1, 2014 in Barcelona, Spain. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images)
The Brazilian star's first season in Spain may have spluttered along, but the 22-year-old says he'll be firing on all cylinders at the World Cup.
April 30, 2014 -- Updated 1715 GMT (0115 HKT)
Former Soviet footballer Sergei Baltacha traveled from the land of the hammer and sickle to join The Tractor Boys and in doing so broke new ground.
April 29, 2014 -- Updated 0931 GMT (1731 HKT)
Brazil's Dani Alves arrived at Barcelona from Sevilla in 2008 and he has gone on to make over 180 appearances for the club.
Villarreal football supporter who threw a banana at Barcelona's Dani Alves during league match handed a life ban by the La Liga club.
ADVERTISEMENT