Skip to main content

Ecclestone F1 era coming to a close - Ferrari chief

December 21, 2012 -- Updated 2104 GMT (0504 HKT)
Luca Di Montezemolo and Bernie Ecclestone share a moment but the Ferrari chief wants a change of direction in the sport
Luca Di Montezemolo and Bernie Ecclestone share a moment but the Ferrari chief wants a change of direction in the sport
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Ferrari chief Luca Di Montezemolo criticizes F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone
  • 'Era of one man show cannot continue' says Di Montezemolo
  • Ferrari unhappy with role Ecclestone played in final race controversy in Brazil
  • Di Montezemolo also hints at move for triple world champion Sebastian Vettel

(CNN) -- Ferrari president Luca Di Montezemelo has launched an end of season salvo at F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, saying "the era of the one man show cannot continue" if the sport is to move forward.

"We are approaching the time when we need to think about the future," said Di Montezemolo, who was unhappy about the role Ecclestone played in the controversy surrounding the last race in Brazil where Sebastian Vettel clinched the title from Ferrari No.1 Fernando Alonso.

Ferrari believed Vettel may have made an illegal overtaking move under a yellow flag which, should he have been punished, would have meant Alonso took the title instead.

"Every so often, Bernie likes to play the boss and gets involved in matters that don't concern him: godfathers no longer exist, at least not in Formula 1," Di Montezemolo was quoted on the official Ferrari website.

"Interpretation of flags, be they yellow or blue is nothing to do with him and he used expressions that I do not accept.

Montezemolo: Ferrari could leave F1
Ecclestone reveals Concorde Agreement
Ecclestone: F1 secure until 2020

"Our behavior in this instance was not only transparent, but perfect and maybe he would do better to think about attracting bigger crowds and more youngsters, and to discuss more with the television stations and the media."

Di Montezemolo conceded that Ecclestone had achieved "significant things" but that at 82 years of age questions should be asked about his continued stewardship of the sport.

"It's not a case of replacing Bernie and in fact I do not like doing to others what I would not want to happen to myself.

"The future should be in the hands of a team that will look after all the different areas.

"We are slowly approaching the end of a period characterized by the style of one man who has done significant things."

Ecclestone recently said he would only quit when he felt he was not doing a good job.

"I hope that's what I can do; when I feel I can't deliver, I will certainly say goodbye," he was quoted on the official F1 website.

Di Montezemolo again reiterated his opposition to the ban on testing during the F1 grand prix season and said he would be putting across his arguments when he meets Ecclestone and FIA president Jean Todt.

"As for testing, it's getting close to ridiculous," he said. "The FIA is not opposed to it, we are not and so what is the reason for it, " he added.

He also congratulated Red Bull and Vettel on their double victory in the drivers' and constructors' championship.

Vettel, who clinched a title hat-trick in Brazil, "had an amazing car and is a great driver," said Di Montezemolo.

"If for whatever reason, Alonso was to retire, then I'd like Vettel, a driver who has his feet on the ground and a great will to win."

Ferrari has been strongly linked with a move for Germany's Vettel, but will field Alonso and Brazilian Felipe Massa for the 2013 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
November 27, 2012 -- Updated 1536 GMT (2336 HKT)
It did not take very long for the inevitable question to be asked -- just how good a driver is Sebastian Vettel?
January 24, 2013 -- Updated 1449 GMT (2249 HKT)
Changes to tires will make Formula 1 racing faster with more overtaking in 2013, according to the sport's official tire supplier Pirelli.
November 26, 2012 -- Updated 0935 GMT (1735 HKT)
Fangio
Michael Schumacher, Alain Prost, and contemporary pacesetters Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso were all contenders.
November 23, 2012 -- Updated 1332 GMT (2132 HKT)
Who is the greatest F1 driver of all time? Past and present drivers give their verdict on the contenders to CNN.
CNN has asked Formula One stars past and present, "Who is the best driver of all time?" Now we want to hear from you.
November 20, 2012 -- Updated 0948 GMT (1748 HKT)
A triumphant Lewis Hamilton called Sunday's United States Grand Prix the best race of 2012 but for many it was more important than that -- it was Formula One being reborn in the USA.
CNN's Ben Wyatt says Sebastian Vettel or Fernando Alonso will seal their place in F1 history in Brazil this weekend.
November 25, 2012 -- Updated 1941 GMT (0341 HKT)
The F1 title race will be fought over 20 races this season. Keep track of the latest standings in the drivers' and manufacturers' championships.
November 16, 2012 -- Updated 1520 GMT (2320 HKT)
The Formula One roadshow rolls into Austin, Texas this weekend for the first race of ten over the coming decade
Mario Andretti says the key to rekindling F1 in the U.S. is a buzzword that has been flying around Washington faster than a Ferrari -- stability.
ADVERTISEMENT