Domenicali: Ferrari 'right' to retain Massa
January 17, 2013 -- Updated 1649 GMT (0049 HKT)
Formula One driver Felipe Massa joined Ferrari from Sauber in 2006.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
- Stefano Domenicali says Ferrari "right" to keep Felipe Massa as a driver
- Massa struggled in the first half of last season, but picked up 98 points from September
- The Brazilian signed a one-year contract extension with Ferrari in October
- The 2013 Formula One season starts in Australia in March
(CNN) -- Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali has defended the Italian constructor's decision to retain the services of Brazilian driver Felipe Massa for the 2013 season.
Massa's future was the subject of much speculation after he failed to score a point in the first three races of 2012 and went on to collect just 25 points prior to the sport's annual midseason break at the end of July.
But Massa, who has been with Ferrari since 2006, recovered in the second half of the campaign to score 98 points and record two podium finishes, ending the year seventh in the drivers' championship.
CNN Greatest F1 Driver: Day One
CNN Greatest F1 Driver: Day Two
CNN Greatest F1 Driver: Day Three
CNN Greatest F1 Driver: Day Four
Domenicali is convinced Massa has turned the corner, showing the form he displayed before fracturing his skull when a spring struck his helmet at the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix.
Read: Ferrari chief - "Ecclestone era coming to an end"
"I think the toughest part of Felipe's career is now behind him," Domenicali told Ferrari's official website, when asked about the 31-year-old.
"After last summer his approach turned about and, as a result, his performance on track changed and he managed to show just how talented he is.
"I'm sure his problem was not linked to his contractual situation. Personally, there was a lot of pressure on me regarding possible changes, but in the interests of the team, I preferred to wait and today, I'm convinced that keeping Felipe in the Ferrari family was the right decision."
Massa signed a new one-year deal with the most successful team in F1 history in October, although he admits he did consider turning his back on the sport when he was struggling for pace.
"I thought about so many things," Massa, who lost out on the 2008 world championship on the final corner of the final race, told BBC Sport.
"I thought maybe I was finished. I thought about not staying in Ferrari. I did not know what would happen. So many things were inside my brain.
"Many people said I was just using fuel at the beginning of the year and then after they want me to stay in Ferrari because it was the best option. It is important to work to get the good result. If you have that nothing else is important."
Massa and teammate Fernando Alonso, who lost out on the 2012 drivers' title to Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel on the final day of the season, will be hoping to make a strong start to the 2013 campaign when the season begins in Australia in March.
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
November 27, 2012 -- Updated 1536 GMT (2336 HKT)
It did not take very long for the inevitable question to be asked -- just how good a driver is Sebastian Vettel?
January 24, 2013 -- Updated 1449 GMT (2249 HKT)
Changes to tires will make Formula 1 racing faster with more overtaking in 2013, according to the sport's official tire supplier Pirelli.
November 26, 2012 -- Updated 0935 GMT (1735 HKT)
Michael Schumacher, Alain Prost, and contemporary pacesetters Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso were all contenders.
November 23, 2012 -- Updated 1332 GMT (2132 HKT)
Who is the greatest F1 driver of all time? Past and present drivers give their verdict on the contenders to CNN.
CNN has asked Formula One stars past and present, "Who is the best driver of all time?" Now we want to hear from you.
November 20, 2012 -- Updated 0948 GMT (1748 HKT)
A triumphant Lewis Hamilton called Sunday's United States Grand Prix the best race of 2012 but for many it was more important than that -- it was Formula One being reborn in the USA.
CNN's Ben Wyatt says Sebastian Vettel or Fernando Alonso will seal their place in F1 history in Brazil this weekend.
November 25, 2012 -- Updated 1941 GMT (0341 HKT)
The F1 title race will be fought over 20 races this season. Keep track of the latest standings in the drivers' and manufacturers' championships.
November 16, 2012 -- Updated 1520 GMT (2320 HKT)
Mario Andretti says the key to rekindling F1 in the U.S. is a buzzword that has been flying around Washington faster than a Ferrari -- stability.
Today's five most popular stories