Skip to main content

'Star Wars' Episodes II and III in 3-D delayed

By Alan Duke, CNN
January 29, 2013 -- Updated 0057 GMT (0857 HKT)
"Star Wars" creator George Lucas meets a group of "Star Wars"-inspired Disney characters at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park in 2010. Click through and see what the original cast is up to now: "Star Wars" creator George Lucas meets a group of "Star Wars"-inspired Disney characters at Disney's Hollywood Studios theme park in 2010. Click through and see what the original cast is up to now:
HIDE CAPTION
'Star Wars' cast then and now
Han Solo played by ...
Harrison Ford
Luke Skywalker played by ...
Mark Hamill
Princess Leia played by ...
Carrie Fisher
Darth Vader voiced by ...
James Earl Jones
Chewbacca played by ...
Peter Mayhew
C-3PO played by ...
Anthony Daniels
R2-D2 played by ...
Kenny Baker
Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi played by ...
Alec Guinness
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
>
>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • "We will now focus 100% of our efforts on 'Star Wars: Episode VII,' " Lucasfilm says
  • The revised 3-D release plans will be announced "at a later date"
  • "Star Wars: Episode VII" is set for release in 2015

Los Angeles (CNN) -- The release of 3-D versions of "Star Wars" Episodes II and III, previously planned for next fall, have been postponed while Lucasfilm focuses on new episodes, the company said Monday.

"Given the recent development that we are moving forward with a new Star Wars trilogy, we will now focus 100% of our efforts on "Star Wars: Episode VII" in order to ensure the best possible experience for our fans," Lucasfilm said.

The revised 3-D release plans will be announced "at a later date," it said.

The announcement comes three months after Disney bought Lucasfilm for $4 billion and just days after it revealed that J.J. Abrams has been signed to direct the next Star Wars episode.

"Star Wars: Episode VII" is set for release in 2015.

A good week to be J.J. Abrams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT