Disgruntled motorcycling star Stoner switches to cars
January 29, 2013 -- Updated 1424 GMT (2224 HKT)
Australia's Casey Stoner will be driving a V8 sports car in 2013 following his retirement from MotoGP.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
- Motorcycling star Casey Stoner confirms his switch to sports car racing
- Two-time MotoGP world champion will drive a V8 Supercar this year
- Stoner criticizes some MotoGP fans for their behavior, saying he was spat at
- Australian says he "fell out of love" with motorcycling after 10-year career
(CNN) -- Former motorcycling star Casey Stoner has ended speculation about his future by confirming he will switch to four wheels to drive in a V8 Supercar, but not before taking a sideswipe at officials and fans.
The two-time world champion quit the elite MotoGP class at the end of the 2012 season, having announced his premature departure last May.
"I just fell out of love with the sport. We had a lack of respect from a lot of people around the sport and I didn't like the direction it was taking," he was quoted in Australia's Daily Telegraph newspaper on the same day he confirmed his new career move on Twitter.
"We got spat at (by fans), they tried to knock us off scooters going from the motor homes to the pits, everything like that."
Remembering fallen MotoGP star
World mourns Simoncelli death
Tributes pour in for Simoncelli
Memories of Marco
Fatal finish
Never forgotten
Paying tribute
Marching on together
Holding back the tears
HIDE CAPTION
Marco's Memories: A year on in Malaysia
The 27-year-old Australian said the death of Italian star Marco Simoncelli at the Malaysian Grand Prix in 2011 had also been a major factor in his decision.
"We lost a rider a couple of years ago and within a month it was like it never happened," Stoner claimed.
"They want to see biff and barge and they don't realize our lives are on the line. We became puppets in that world and it had nothing to do with racing."
Stoner will drive for Red Bull Racing Australia in 2013, competing in a car which won the 2010 edition of the famous Bathurst motor race.
He tweeted: "Very happy to have a chance to race with @redbullracingAU in the Dunlop Series this year. Looking forward to getting on track at Clipsal!"
Stoner, who has previously tested sports cars, will initially compete in a development series.
His former arch rival in MotoGP, Italian legend Valentino Rossi has also been linked in the past with a move to four wheels with Ferrari.
But seven-time champion Rossi has stayed loyal to MotoGP and will return to Yamaha for the 2013 season.
Meanwhile, Stoner will carry over his famous No.27 from his former sport into motor racing.
Injuries from a crash in May cost him the chance of winning a third world title last season, but he signed off for Repsol Honda with a win in front of his home fans at Philip Island in November.
He started out in the 125cc class in the early 2000s before moving up to MotoGP in 2006, and won the world title the following year and again in 2011.
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
November 27, 2012 -- Updated 1536 GMT (2336 HKT)
It did not take very long for the inevitable question to be asked -- just how good a driver is Sebastian Vettel?
January 24, 2013 -- Updated 1449 GMT (2249 HKT)
Changes to tires will make Formula 1 racing faster with more overtaking in 2013, according to the sport's official tire supplier Pirelli.
November 26, 2012 -- Updated 0935 GMT (1735 HKT)
Michael Schumacher, Alain Prost, and contemporary pacesetters Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso were all contenders.
November 23, 2012 -- Updated 1332 GMT (2132 HKT)
Who is the greatest F1 driver of all time? Past and present drivers give their verdict on the contenders to CNN.
CNN has asked Formula One stars past and present, "Who is the best driver of all time?" Now we want to hear from you.
November 20, 2012 -- Updated 0948 GMT (1748 HKT)
A triumphant Lewis Hamilton called Sunday's United States Grand Prix the best race of 2012 but for many it was more important than that -- it was Formula One being reborn in the USA.
CNN's Ben Wyatt says Sebastian Vettel or Fernando Alonso will seal their place in F1 history in Brazil this weekend.
November 25, 2012 -- Updated 1941 GMT (0341 HKT)
The F1 title race will be fought over 20 races this season. Keep track of the latest standings in the drivers' and manufacturers' championships.
November 16, 2012 -- Updated 1520 GMT (2320 HKT)
Mario Andretti says the key to rekindling F1 in the U.S. is a buzzword that has been flying around Washington faster than a Ferrari -- stability.
Today's five most popular stories