Skip to main content

Federer survives scare to advance in Dubai Tennis Championships

February 25, 2013 -- Updated 2049 GMT (0449 HKT)
Switzerland's Roger Federer serves against Malek Jaziri as he eyes his sixth Dubai Tennis Championships title
Switzerland's Roger Federer serves against Malek Jaziri as he eyes his sixth Dubai Tennis Championships title
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Roger Federer comes from a set down to beat Malek Jaziri
  • Defending champion will face Marcel Granollers or Albert Montanes in second round
  • World No. 1 Novak Djokovic plays childhood friend Viktor Troicki on Tuesday

(CNN) -- As he admitted himself this week, Roger Federer has no idea how long his career may last but tennis fans in Dubai were guaranteed another chance to see him after the Swiss survived a first round scare against Tunisia's Malek Jaziri.

The reigning champion -- bidding for his sixth title at the Dubai Tennis Championships -- had to come from behind to win 5-7 6-0 6-2 against the World No. 128, who was playing his first ATP World Tour match since October.

"It was a difficult match for me out here tonight, but I'm happy I found a way and got a day off now so I can work a little bit on the game," said Federer, who beat Andy Murray in last year's final.

"Just maybe the pressure is off a little bit, and then automatically I will play a lot better in the second round."

In the run-up to Monday's game, Federer -- who will play either Marcel Granollers or Albert Montanes (both of Spain) in the next round -- revealed he will undertake a far lighter schedule this year.

Djokovic finishes season on top
Rising star inspired by Sampras

The 31-year-old will take nearly two months off after the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells, which runs from March 4-17, before returning in May to play the Madrid Open.

The Swiss says the break will allow him to take a holiday with his wife and twin three-year-old daughters before spending 4-6 weeks practising on clay courts in Switzerland.

"The last few years have been really tricky in terms of my practice schedule, especially through an Olympic year [in 2012]," said the 17-time grand slam winner. "This year is totally different. Family is very important, so I also want to spend quality time with them."

"I can't play a year like I did last year every single season because that isn't the point I'm at in my career. I'm not 22 where I have to play 25-30 tournaments a year. Plus, I believe I'll be really ready for the tournaments I've entered."

Federer is planning to play just 14 tournaments in 2013, even dropping his home town event in Basel and the Miami tournament, which has often been described as the biggest outside the four grand slams.

Read: Kvitova ends drought with Dubai title

Federer, who won Wimbledon but lost the Olympic final last year, may be vying for the top honours with Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray but his chances of success are threatened by being nearly five years more senior than the next oldest.

"I'm trying to be smart with my scheduling because I'm in a totally different situation than they are," he said.

"Your prime is 23 to 27-28 so for me it's very challenging -- and exciting. I need to make the right decisions. I have family and not many guys have that."

Considered by many as the greatest of all time, Federer stressed that his lighter workload is intended to prolong his playing career and insists it is not a sign of him winding down.

Agassi and Graf's Olympic moments
Tennis stars take on the quick fire quiz

"I strongly believe I have more slams in me," he rallied. "I can play great, but will I be allowed to? Time will tell.

"My big focus is on making sure that every tournament I enter I am perfectly prepared. I am hopeful I will get enough matches but if not my schedule can be changed."

"I want to give myself the best chance to play as long as I can. Maybe then it will become clear that it is time to stop. Things change very quickly, and you have to be ready and open about it.

"But I would like to give myself the chance to play for many years to come. I am happy with the way my body is. I am healthy and happy to be playing.

"If I feel confident and am enjoying it, I hope to play for a long time. I think I am playing excellent tennis. Some win grand slams at 16 and others at 34. It depends how you see things."

In Monday's other opening games of the US$2.4m championships, seventh seed Andreas Seppi of Italy turned around a 0-4 losing run against Paul-Henri Mathieu to beat the Frenchman 6-3 7-5.

Seppi will next play Czech Lukas Rosol, who beat Italian qualifier Matteo Viola 6-3 7-5, while Russia's Mikhail Youzhny beat Blaz Kavcic 1-6 6-1 6-3.

Next up for Youzhny will be Daniel Brands, who beat fellow qualifier Florent Serra 7-6 (7) 6-4, while Roberto Bautista of Spain made it through when beating Belgium's David Goffin in straight sets.

On Tuesday, the 32-man field will be further whittled down -- with Novak Djokovic among those entering the action, with the World No. 1 taking on fellow Serb, and childhood friend, Viktor Troicki.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
May 1, 2013 -- Updated 1129 GMT (1929 HKT)
She towers above him, but she can't do without him. Meet the man who has made Maria Sharapova the world's wealthiest female athlete.
April 22, 2013 -- Updated 1511 GMT (2311 HKT)
When Maria Sharapova underwent shoulder surgery five years ago, many thought her tennis career wouldn't last.
April 18, 2013 -- Updated 1258 GMT (2058 HKT)
Nine-year-old Rebecca Suarez stunned onlookers when she was pulled out of the crowd to team up with Del Potro against Nadal.
April 18, 2013 -- Updated 2115 GMT (0515 HKT)
Janko Tipsarevic is of the belief that his fellow professionals aren't doping -- or at least not on a widespread basis.
March 21, 2013 -- Updated 1429 GMT (2229 HKT)
Agnieszka and Urszula Radwanska are hoping to take their relationship to a new level by emulating tennis' most famous female sisters.
March 26, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Open Court meets Poland's world No. 4 Agniezska Radwanska, who's making waves on the women's tennis scene.
March 21, 2013 -- Updated 1402 GMT (2202 HKT)
America's 18-time grand slam champion Chris Evert talks to Open Court about her career and training the next generation of players.
March 21, 2013 -- Updated 1344 GMT (2144 HKT)
CNN's Don Riddell speaks with 11-time grand slam champion Rafael Nadal during one of his comeback tournaments in Mexico.
March 21, 2013 -- Updated 1411 GMT (2211 HKT)
Germany's veteran star Tommy Haas opens up to Pat Cash about being away from family on tour, and his many injuries.
March 11, 2013 -- Updated 1150 GMT (1950 HKT)
End of match
You'd think John Isner and Nicolas Mahut would be sick of the sight of each other, but their friendship has grown since that epic match.
March 4, 2013 -- Updated 1608 GMT (0008 HKT)
Almost a decade after Andy Roddick's sole U.S. Open victory, America is still waiting for its next male grand slam winner. What's gone wrong?
February 21, 2013 -- Updated 1621 GMT (0021 HKT)
Open Court's Pat Cash meets American No. 1 John Isner, who experts claim has the potential to win a grand slam.
February 25, 2013 -- Updated 0917 GMT (1717 HKT)
CNN's Pat Cash looks at who the next U.S. grand slam champion might be.
February 21, 2013 -- Updated 1545 GMT (2345 HKT)
CNN's Patrick Snell looks at how the famous couple is helping groom the next generation of tennis stars.
February 25, 2013 -- Updated 1009 GMT (1809 HKT)
With his sights set on the top, Ryan Harrison is the youngest player to win a professional match in 20 years.
February 21, 2013 -- Updated 1612 GMT (0012 HKT)
He's "Mac the Mouth" both on and off the court -- one of the most controversial and iconic players in tennis history, and he's still talking up a storm.
January 29, 2013 -- Updated 1131 GMT (1931 HKT)
Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray have transformed their careers since discovering a diet secret that is battling for mainstream acceptance.
January 28, 2013 -- Updated 1500 GMT (2300 HKT)
Novak Djokovic knew he was going to be a tennis star from an early age when growing up in war-torn Belgrade.
January 17, 2013 -- Updated 1325 GMT (2125 HKT)
Maria Sharapova
Nine women, a bold proposal and a $1 bill. That was what it took for women's tennis to begin a 40-year journey of self-empowerment.
ADVERTISEMENT