'Second chance' for Sutil at Force India as he joins di Resta in 2013 line-up
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil has been given a second chance at Force India for the 2013 season.
- Adrian Sutil confirmed as Force India's second driver
- The German will join Paul di Resta for the 2013 season
- Sutil is rejoining the team after a one-year's absence
- He was convicted of assault in 2011
(CNN) -- Adrian Sutil was confirmed Thursday as Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance" after being sacked by the British-based team following a conviction for assault.
The German will join Scot Paul di Resta at Force India, who finished seventh in the constructors' championship last season.
The 30-year-old Sutil is returning to the team he drove in from 2007 - 2011, originally Spyker, until Force India took over.
Sutil sat out last season after being replaced by compatriot Nico Hulkenberg, who has subsequently moved to Sauber.
He had been involved in an altercation in a Shanghai bar after the 2011 Chinese Grand Prix with Lotus co-owner Eric Lux.
I want to thank Force India for giving me a second chance, having been away from the sport, I'm even more determined to achieve my goals in Formula One
He was later given an 18-month suspended sentence by a Munich court after Lux filed assault charges.
Read: Sutil confident he will return to F1 after assault conviction
"I want to thank Sahara Force India for giving me a second chance," he told the official F1 website.
"Having been away from the sport, I'm even more determined to achieve my goals in Formula One.
The decision to rehire Sutil in favor of the team's 2012 reserve driver Jules Bianchi of France was not an easy one said team principal Vijay Mallya.
"It was a close call, but ultimately we felt that Adrian's experience and historic links to the team gave him the edge, and will provide us with the best possible chance of realizing our ambitions for the coming season.
"If he can rediscover the exceptional form he showed in the second half of 2011, I'm confident that we can pick up where we left off at the end of 2012."
Sutil, who has made 90 Grand Prix starts, has a best finish of fourth at the 2009 Italian GP.
All the F1 teams are in Barcelona this week for the final round of testing ahead of the start of the season in Australia in a fortnight's time.
Thursday's rain-hit session at the Catalunya circuit saw Australia's Mark Webber record the fastest time after conditions dried out in the afternoon.
The Red Bull star was timed at one minute 22.693 seconds, nearly two seconds quicker than Lewis Hamilton in his Mercedes.
Hamilton was fastest in the morning in the wet and completed 113 laps as he fine tunes his new car ahead of the opening race.
Part of complete coverage on
Track the buzz of the 2014 Formula One season, race by race, with all the latest social reaction from motorsport experts.
He's the best of the rest -- Daniel Ricciardo has been Formula One's surprise package in the first half of the 2014 season.
July 24, 2014 -- Updated 1135 GMT (1935 HKT)
Formula One is not likely to go hungry in Hungary as master chefs cater in volume for drivers, teams and VIP guests.
July 3, 2014 -- Updated 1443 GMT (2243 HKT)
It's the elephant in the room of Formula One. What's the prognosis legendary driver Michael Schumacher?
May 23, 2014 -- Updated 2310 GMT (0710 HKT)
It stimulates all five senses, creating an unparalleled experience for drivers and fans alike. Take a tour of Monaco with Mark Webber.
May 22, 2014 -- Updated 1233 GMT (2033 HKT)
To be a champion you must win a title -- but to become an F1 legend you must win races at Monaco, the calendar's most testing circuit.
May 21, 2014 -- Updated 1459 GMT (2259 HKT)
Caterham F1 reserve driver Alexander Rossi takes you on a tour of the Monaco racing circuit.
May 5, 2014 -- Updated 1238 GMT (2038 HKT)
The Formula One driver transcended his sport and even 20 years after his death, Ayrton Senna commands the adoration of fans worldwide.
May 1, 2014 -- Updated 1500 GMT (2300 HKT)
F1's greatest racer was killed during the San Marino Grand Prix on May 1 1994. The sport hasn't been the same since.
April 30, 2014 -- Updated 1516 GMT (2316 HKT)
Just four F1 drivers turned up to Roland Ratzenberger's funeral after his death during qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix on April 30 1994.
April 25, 2014 -- Updated 1156 GMT (1956 HKT)
For a championship with a distinctly Iberian streak, it is no surprise that South America should be high on MotoGP's list of territories to conquer.
April 18, 2014 -- Updated 1113 GMT (1913 HKT)
Too weak. Can't handle the pressure. Susie Wolff has heard it all -- but she is determined to become the first female F1 driver in 20 years.
Today's five most popular stories