Cookie consent

We use cookies to improve your experience on this website. By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more | Cookie preferences

Inter Milan faces new racism charge

UEFA has charged Inter Milan following allegations of racist chanting by fans during a European match against Tottenham.

Story highlights

  • Inter Milan charged with "racist behavior" by European soccer's ruling body
  • Investigation follows allegations that Inter fans racially abused Tottenham players
  • Italian club recently fined by its domestic authorities following racist chanting
  • FIFA president to meet Milan's Kevin Prince-Boateng to discuss racism Friday

The scourge of racism within football has reared its head once again, with Inter Milan charged by UEFA over "racist behavior" of its supporters during last week's Europe League contest against Tottenham Hotspur.

The Italian club has also been charged with "insufficient organization" and "throwing of missiles and/or fireworks."

Inter supporters are alleged to have taunted the English team's Togolese striker Emmanuel Adebayor and other black players with monkey chants -- actions which were reported to European soccer's ruling body by the match delegate.

The case will be heard on April 19. Inter won the match 4-1 but was eliminated from Europe's second-tier competition on the away goals rule with the aggregate score tied at 4-4.

Read: Inter hit with fine for racial abuse

Last month, Inter was fined $65,500 by the Italian football authorities after its fans were found guilty of racially abusing former players Mario Balotelli and Sulley Muntari, who now play for rival AC Milan.

      Just Watched

      Boateng: We can't ignore racism

    Boateng: We can't ignore racism 04:34
    PLAY VIDEO

      Just Watched

      Juventus midfielder: Stop racism

    Juventus midfielder: Stop racism 00:51
    PLAY VIDEO

    The club was also fined $22,700 after fans sang racist chants about Balotelli during a Serie A game against Chievo.

    Read: Lazio punished for fourth racism offense this season

    Fellow Italian club Lazio was hit with a $52,000 fine last month by UEFA for several offenses, including a fourth charge of racist behavior this season.

    Lazio had already been fined a total of $230,000 for racist abuse and other fan offenses during two group-stage matches with Tottenham and another against Slovenia's Maribor.

    In January, the president of football's world governing body FIFA insisted that a more hard-line approach should be taken in dealing with racism.

    Sepp Blatter advocated punishments such as point deductions and relegation for clubs found guilty.

    "It is not enough to give a fine," he told FIFA's website.

    "Playing a game without spectators is one of the possible sanctions, but the best would be the deduction of points and the relegation of a team, because finally the club is responsible for their spectators."

    Read: Blatter insists FIFA ready to hit racists hard

    Since AC Milan forward Kevin-Prince Boateng walked off the pitch in a friendly match in January following racist abuse, both FIFA and UEFA have faced criticism over their reactions to such incidents.

      Just Watched

      Hayatou: Good example key against racism

    Hayatou: Good example key against racism 03:28
    PLAY VIDEO

      Just Watched

      PFA chairman: Serbia should be banned

    PFA chairman: Serbia should be banned 01:15
    PLAY VIDEO

    Blatter's stance has changed in recent months given that just two years ago he said racism did not exist in football and that any problems could be solved with a handshake.

    But the 77-year-old, who has spent the past 15 years in charge of FIFA, has changed his view following a number of recent unsavory incidents. He will be meeting Boateng at FIFA headquarters in Zurich this Friday to discuss the problem of racism in football.

    "It is a phenomena where football is a victim of our society," Blatter said in January.

    "Discrimination and racism is everywhere in our society. We in football cannot be made responsible for what happens in our society.

    "It is now up to us to take the adequate steps. What I feel we should do is give instructions to our national associations and the confederations -- specifically to the disciplinary committees -- to be very strong."

      Football Focus

    • After 20 years, more than 300 goals and a host of major honors, Thierry Henry has called time on his glittering football career.
    • He might be struggling to score goals for Liverpool, but Mario Balotelli's cheeky tweet about the British monarch hit the spot during the World Cup.
    • bpr south african soccor senzo meyiwa death _00000402.jpg

      Football world mourns South African captain Senzo Meyiwa who was shot and killed during a botched robbery in a township near Johannesburg.
    • German alleged jihadist Kreshnik B (R) listens to his lawyer Mutlu Guenal (L) as he arrives at the higher regional court in Frankfurt. His face is pixelated for legal reasons.

      Once part of Germany's largest Jewish sports club, now he's the first ISIS suspect to stand trial in a country left shocked by his alleged radicalization.
    • One goal in eight matches for new club Liverpool, and dumped by the Italian national team -- Mario Balotelli has yet to shine on his English return.
    • Ched Evans smiles during the Wales training session ahead of their UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against England on March 25, 2011 in Cardiff, Wales.

      Should a convicted rapist, who has served their time in prison, be allowed to resume their old job? What if that job was as a high-profile football player?
    • Norwegian 15-year-old Martin Odegaard is the youngest player ever to feature in a European Championships qualifying match.