Skip to main content

Vettel apologizes after controversial F1 win in Malaysia

March 24, 2013 -- Updated 1848 GMT (0248 HKT)
An unhappy Mark Webber, left, with Red Bull teammate Sebastian Vettel at the postrace press conference in Malaysia. An unhappy Mark Webber, left, with Red Bull teammate Sebastian Vettel at the postrace press conference in Malaysia.
HIDE CAPTION
Vettel defies team orders
Vettel defies team orders
Vettel defies team orders
Unlucky 200 for Alonso
McLaren's mistake
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
>
>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Sebastian Vettel wins Malaysia Grand Prix from Red Bull teammate Mark Webber
  • Webber is unhappy after Vettel defies team orders to pass and claim first win of 2013
  • German later apologizes to Webber, having been rebuked by team boss during race
  • Lewis Hamilton takes third after his Mercedes teammate is told not to overtake

(CNN) -- World champion Sebastian Vettel apologized to Red Bull teammate Mark Webber after defying orders to snatch a "risky" victory at the Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday and go to the top of the driver standings.

Webber had been poised for the 10th victory of his career and first since July as he led comfortably after the team's final pit stops, and was told to hold back to maintain his car until the finish at the Sepang circuit.

Vettel, however, took the opportunity to edge past the veteran Australian and claim his 27th race win, having started from pole position for the second time in two events this season.

"I want to say sorry to Mark," the German told reporters, having been rebuked by his team boss Christian Horner on the radio as they dueled on the track. "This is silly Seb, come on," Horner warned.

Read: Vettel vows to win after claiming pole

Formula One season off to a racing start
Engines on, Formula 1 returns!
Who is the greatest F1 driver ever?

"He was trying to save the car and tires, but I took a lot of risk in passing him when he was trying," the 25-year-old Vettel added.

"I didn't ignore that, but I shouldn't have done it."

He later said on the Red Bull website: " I put myself above a team decision, which was wrong. I didn't mean to and I apologize. I'm not happy I've won, I made a mistake and if I could undo it I would. It's not easy right now and I owe apologies to Mark and the team."

Webber, who has often complained that triple world champion Vettel has favored status within the Austrian-owned team, made his displeasure known at the postrace press conference.

"The first part of GP went very well," the 36-year-old said. "In the end we got the right strategy, and it was about controlling the race, getting everything in the race right, but the team told me to turn the engine down.

"But I want to race as well. Seb made his own decisions and he will have protection as usual and that's the way it goes."

See: Sepang interactive and latest standings

He also added a statement on the team website.

"There's a bit of history to this as well; my mind in the last 15 laps was thinking about a lot of things," Webber said.

"Of course I'm not satisfied with the result. This puts heat on a few people and unfortunately there's no rewind button. I know people want raw emotion from us after these situations and it's there, but we need to remain cool. There's three weeks until the next race, so time for us to work on things."

Horner said the incident was "frustrating."

"Formula One is both a team and an individual sport and sometimes there is a conflict between a driver's desire and a team's interest," he said. "What happened today is something that shouldn't have happened.

Red Bull Show Run
F1 champ Sebastian Vettel talks to CNN
Take a ride with F1 champ Vettel

"Our position after that final pit stop was all about managing the race until the end and conserving our tires, getting the cars to the finish and achieving maximum points."

Team orders have long been a controversial part of F1, and were banned in 2002. However, that rule was dropped in 2011 after it became apparent that teams were finding ways around it.

On Sunday, Lewis Hamilton benefited from team orders as he claimed his first podium finish for Mercedes after colleague Nico Rosberg was told not to attack him as both drivers were seeking to maintain their cars.

Team boss Ross Brawn said on the radio: "Negative Nico, negative. Lewis' pace is what we are asking him to do. He can go a lot faster as well, so please be in control as well."

"If I'm honest he should be standing here, he's a great teammate and did a fantastic job," Hamilton said of Rosberg, who outperformed seven-time world champion Michael Schumacher at Mercedes the past three seasons.

"We brought the car home and I'm glad to get a result for them, but it's not the best feeling being up here."

The 2008 world champion almost made an embarrassing error when he tried to pit in the garage of his former team McLaren -- bringing back memories of when Jenson Button did similar soon after his move to the British marque.

"I did a Jenson as he did that a couple of years ago," the English driver said.

"I've had so many years making pit stops with McLaren, but I got it wrong, so a big apology to my teammate."

Button's disappointing season continued when he failed to finish in the points after being sent out from his final pit stop with a loose front wheel, having been fifth at one stage.

His new teammate Sergio Perez scored his first points for McLaren as he came home ninth ahead of Toro Rosso's Jean-Eric Vergne.

Felipe Massa claimed fifth place but his Ferrari teammate Fernando Alonso -- the race winner in Sepang last year and overall runnerup -- paid for an early mistake that broke his front wing and ended his 200th career grand prix as he stayed out on the track too long without getting it repaired.

"Today we had a good car, and I don't think we were too far from the Red Bull pace, especially in the race," the Spaniard said.

"Looking now after the incident for sure it is the wrong decision (to stay on the track). If this unlucky combination had not happened, and in lap three we stop, we change the tire and the nose and we win the race here, the team are heroes."

Romain Grosjean was sixth for Lotus ahead of teammate Kimi Raikkonen, who won the opening race in Melbourne last Sunday but this time started from 10th after being given a three-place penalty for blocking Rosberg during Saturday's qualifying.

The Finn was fastest in Friday's practice, but downplayed his hopes in the race.

Nico Hulkenberg was eighth to earn Sauber's first points this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
November 27, 2012 -- Updated 1536 GMT (2336 HKT)
It did not take very long for the inevitable question to be asked -- just how good a driver is Sebastian Vettel?
January 24, 2013 -- Updated 1449 GMT (2249 HKT)
Changes to tires will make Formula 1 racing faster with more overtaking in 2013, according to the sport's official tire supplier Pirelli.
November 26, 2012 -- Updated 0935 GMT (1735 HKT)
Fangio
Michael Schumacher, Alain Prost, and contemporary pacesetters Sebastian Vettel and Fernando Alonso were all contenders.
November 23, 2012 -- Updated 1332 GMT (2132 HKT)
Who is the greatest F1 driver of all time? Past and present drivers give their verdict on the contenders to CNN.
CNN has asked Formula One stars past and present, "Who is the best driver of all time?" Now we want to hear from you.
November 20, 2012 -- Updated 0948 GMT (1748 HKT)
A triumphant Lewis Hamilton called Sunday's United States Grand Prix the best race of 2012 but for many it was more important than that -- it was Formula One being reborn in the USA.
CNN's Ben Wyatt says Sebastian Vettel or Fernando Alonso will seal their place in F1 history in Brazil this weekend.
November 25, 2012 -- Updated 1941 GMT (0341 HKT)
The F1 title race will be fought over 20 races this season. Keep track of the latest standings in the drivers' and manufacturers' championships.
November 16, 2012 -- Updated 1520 GMT (2320 HKT)
The Formula One roadshow rolls into Austin, Texas this weekend for the first race of ten over the coming decade
Mario Andretti says the key to rekindling F1 in the U.S. is a buzzword that has been flying around Washington faster than a Ferrari -- stability.
ADVERTISEMENT