Cookie consent

We use cookies to improve your experience on this website. By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies. Tell me more | Cookie preferences

Lawyer: Ohio women just want to be with families

    Just Watched

    Psychological ramifications of abduction

Psychological ramifications of abduction 02:50

Story highlights

  • Three women had been missing since the early 2000s
  • A 52-year-old bus driver and musician has been charged with rape, kidnapping
  • Spokesman says they want privacy until after the trial

The three women whom police say were abducted for more than a decade by a man in Cleveland are pleading for privacy "so that they can continue to heal and reconnect with their families," according to a statement read to reporters Sunday.

Jim Wooley, an attorney for the three women, also said Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight will refrain from giving any media interviews until the criminal case against suspect Ariel Castro has been tried.

"Thank you so much for everything you're doing and continue to do. I am so happy to be home with my family," Amanda Berry said through the statement.

Women remained in captivity as alleged abductor's life crumbled

Gina DeJesus offered thanks to everyone for their prayers and added, "I just want time now to be with my family."

    Just Watched

    Ohio women return home

Ohio women return home 02:49
PLAY VIDEO

    Just Watched

    New cell phone video of Cleveland escape

New cell phone video of Cleveland escape 02:18
PLAY VIDEO

Michelle Knight, who remained in the hospital for several days after the other two women were released, said in the statement she was doing well.

    "I am healthy, happy and safe and will reach out to family, friends and supporters in good time," she said.

    Castro, a 52-year-old bus driver and musician, faces charges of rape and kidnapping in connection with the prolonged captivity of the women.

    According to initial police reports, the women told investigators that they were chained in the basement of the home, but later moved upstairs to rooms on the second floor. They were allowed out of the home only twice, and then just briefly, according to the document.

    CNN Exclusive: Hunted and haunted, Castro's brothers say they didn't know