Skip to main content

Seth MacFarlane won't host Oscars: 'My suggestion is Joaquin Phoenix'

By Jeff Labrecque, EW
May 21, 2013 -- Updated 1233 GMT (2033 HKT)
Seth MacFarlane hosted the 2013 Academy Awards - to mixed reviews.
Seth MacFarlane hosted the 2013 Academy Awards - to mixed reviews.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Seth MacFralane says he's out as 2014 Oscars host
  • "Family Guy" creator says he can't make work with schedule
  • He had a tongue-in-cheek suggestion

(EW.com) -- There will be less boobs at next year's Oscars.

Seth MacFarlane, whose irreverent hosting performance at the 2013 Academy Awards was controversial but a ratings hit, announced today that he wouldn't be taking the stage again next year.

"Traumatized critics exhale: I'm unable to do the Oscars again. Tried to make it work schedule-wise, but I need sleep," he tweeted Monday afternoon. "However, I highly recommend the job, as Zadan and Meron are two of the most talented producers in the business. My suggestion for host is Joaquin Phoenix."

MacFarlane is currently directing and appearing in "A Million Ways to Die in the West," a stud-studded Western headlined by Amanda Seyfried and Charlize Theron.

Chenoweth: MacFarlane 'killed it'

MacFarlane's withdrawal will likely appease some members of the Hollywood community who didn't appreciate his humor — which drew criticism that his jokes ranged from juvenile to misogynistic. But despite the tsk-tsking by some, ratings for the show were up significantly, including an 11 percent jump in the demo.

Joaquin Phoenix is likely not in the mix to succeed MacFarlane (unfortunately), but the Academy is now free to go in a different direction. Perhaps they could appease some of last year's critics with a female host... or two.

See original story at EW.com.

CLICK HERE to Try 2 RISK FREE issues of Entertainment Weekly

© 2011 Entertainment Weekly and Time Inc. All rights reserved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT