Skip to main content

Rosberg follows in dad's footsteps, wins Monaco Grand Prix

May 26, 2013 -- Updated 2112 GMT (0512 HKT)
Mercedes' Nico Rosberg won an incident filled Monaco Grand Prix ahead of Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber.
Mercedes' Nico Rosberg won an incident filled Monaco Grand Prix ahead of Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Nico Rosberg wins the Monaco Grand Prix 30 years after his father's victory
  • Rosberg led from start to finish in his Mercedes in an incident filled race
  • Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel finishes second, ahead of teammate Mark Webber
  • The race had to be stopped briefly after a crash involving Pastor Maldonado

(CNN) -- Like father, like son.

Nico Rosberg won an incident filled Monaco Grand Prix on Sunday 30 years after his father Keke's victory on the famed city circuit.

Rosberg, the pole sitter, led from start to finish in his Mercedes to give the team its first victory of the season. He had been on pole in Spain and Bahrain, the previous two races, but didn't manage to make the podium as tire issues surfaced.

Reigning world champion Sebastian Vettel of Red Bull overtook Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton early in the race and grabbed second, nearly four seconds behind Rosberg, and ahead of teammate and last year's winner Mark Webber.

"It's amazing," Rosberg said. "This is my home. I've grown up here all my life and it's really special."

The race was stopped for about 20 minutes after a crash involving Pastor Maldonado and Max Chilton because a barrier had to be repaired. Chilton was assessed a drive through penalty.

Maldonado walked away and later spoke to reporters.

Red Bull Show Run
India's F1 story
Stirling Moss: A history of Silverstone

"It was scary," he said. "Chilton crossed my line and it was very dangerous."

Ferrari's Felipe Massa also crashed in a similar incident to his accident in practice Saturday. Massa, starting last on the grid, had to be fitted with a neck brace.

And Romain Grosjean, who lost control of his Lotus throughout practice in Monaco, hit the back of Toro Rosso's Daniel Ricciardo in the latter stages.

Read: Monaco results and championship standings

Again the safety car was needed.

Through it all, Rosberg never relinquished his advantage as the pole sitter in Monaco won for the ninth time in the past 10 editions in the principality.

The slow pace suited Mercedes' tires.

"The whole weekend went perfectly," Rosberg said. "I had a terrible start and I was close with Sebastian and Lewis but after that I controlled the pace.

"The car was really good, the tires held on OK and that was really the key, so a massive thanks to the team. I'm ecstatic.

"We've had such a difficult time the last couple races and dropping back so much. That was a little bit in the back of my mind but it was OK. I hope this is going to last."

F1 interactive: Discover the secrets of Monaco's circuit

Vettel increased his lead atop the individual standings to 21 points over Lotus' Kimi Raikkonen, who finished 10th.

Vettel didn't seem to like the less than quick pace.

Nissan unveils 'Batmobile'
Lorenzo: Motorcycling is like dancing

"Overall, I'm happy and pleased with the result," said Vettel. "We know it's difficult to overtake here. Congratulations to Nico. He had the pace and the tires. We had a fantastic start, but there was no room to overtake and I had to lift.

"I was surprised by the slow pace of the opening laps. You expect two silver arrows in front of you and we had two buses in front going for a cruise."

Hamilton was pleasantly surprised Saturday that he managed to claim second in qualifying. But he slipped to fourth on race day, not helped by the intervention of the safety car following Massa's crash.

"I don't put it down to bad luck at all," he said. "I wasn't good enough this weekend. Big congratulations to Nico and the team, they did a great job today and I have to keep working harder."

Rosberg's victory came hours after Red Bull and Ferrari lodged a protest over tire testing done by Mercedes with Pirelli following the Spanish Grand Prix earlier this month. Testing in season isn't allowed.

Rosberg, meanwhile, will attempt to make it consecutive wins in the next race in Montreal in two weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT