Mercedes faces FIA tire probe
May 27, 2013 -- Updated 1408 GMT (2208 HKT)
Tire supplier Pirelli says alll teams were invited to carry out the test.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
- Mercedes facing an official investigation over possible illegal tire test.
- Monaco Grand Prix stewards writing a report to the FIA
- Rules state that 1,000 kilometers of testing with any team is allowed during season
- Every team must be given the same opportunity to test "to ensure full sporting equity"
(CNN) -- The issue of "burning rubber" is again overshadowing the Formula One season with Mercedes facing an official investigation over whether the team carried out an illegal tire test.
The sport's ruling body -- the FIA -- launched the probe after rival teams Red Bull and Ferrari lodged an official protest at the weekend's Monaco Grand Prix after discovering sole tire supplier Pirelli and Mercedes had carried out a three-day development test.
In May, Pirelli asked the FIA if it could carry out testing with an F1 team. The sport's rules state that 1,000 kilometers of testing with any marque is allowed during the season -- as long as every team is offered that opportunity.
"Pirelli and Mercedes-AMG were advised by the FIA that such a development test could be possible if carried out by Pirelli, as opposed to the team that would provide the car and driver, and that such tests would be conditional upon every team being given the same opportunity to test in order to ensure full sporting equity," said an FIA statement.
Read: Rosberg wins Monaco Grand Prix
F1's spiritual home in the U.S.
India's F1 story
Red Bull Show Run
However, the FIA says it did not hear back from Pirelli or Mercedes and received no confirmation all the teams had been been given the chance to take part.
Monaco Grand Prix stewards will now write a report to the FIA regarding the Pirelli and Mercedes test.
"It should be remembered that the International Sporting Code provides that on the basis of a report of the stewards of the meeting, or on its own initiative, the prosecuting body of the FIA may bring a matter before the International Tribunal," added the FIA statement.
"The Tribunal may decide to inflict penalties that would supercede any penalty the stewards of the meeting may have issued. Such procedure would be followed in pursuance of the FIA judicial and disciplinary Rules."
Pirelli insists it has done nothing wrong in organizing the test.
"All teams were invited to carry out this kind of test, in accordance and with the full agreement of FIA," said Pirelli in a statement.
"Someone replied positively, someone else showed no interest. Whoever will want to do a test with us is welcome. "
Read: Pirelli admit tire testing 'inadequacies'
Mercedes was not immediately available for comment.
During this season, particularly after the Spanish GP earlier in May, many involved at the top end of the sport have argued tire degradation was ruining F1 racing given the number of pit-stops being made.
After that stop-start Spanish Grand Prix, Pirelli subsequently admitted that some of the testing it had conducted on their tires had been had not been ideal.
"Winter tests are inadequate and carried out in conditions far from the reality of the season's races," a Pirelli spokesman told CNN. "The cars are much faster this year than last year (as well)."
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
Today's five most popular stories