Skip to main content

F1 mourns 'absurd loss of life' following track worker's death

June 10, 2013 -- Updated 1652 GMT (0052 HKT)
A crane lifts Esteban Gutierrez's Sauber car at the end of Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
A crane lifts Esteban Gutierrez's Sauber car at the end of Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Track worker dies after falling under crane during Sunday's Canadian Grand Prix
  • Marshal has yet to be named following accident at Montreal's Circuit Gilles Villeneuve
  • Sauber team issues statements of condolence to the man's family and friends
  • He was the first track worker to die at an F1 race since 2001

(CNN) -- The Sauber Formula One team has expressed its sympathy to the loved ones of the track marshal who died Sunday after falling under a crane that was removing one of its crashed cars from the Montreal circuit.

The man was helping move Esteban Gutierrez's vehicle during the Canadian Grand Prix when he tripped and fell into the path of the crane, the F1 website reported.

He was taken to Sacre-Coeur Hospital but died of his injuries.

"Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the marshal who sadly passed away and we would like to offer our sincere condolences," Sauber said on the team's Twitter page Monday.

Mexican driver Gutierrez had earlier tweeted: "My dearest condolences to the family of the marshal who lost his life today, our prayers for him & his family. RIP."

The most powerful woman in Formula One
The woman driving F1 forward
Inside a Formula 1 team

Race winner Sebastian Vettel also offered his condolences.

"The work of marshals is not always seen but it is vital to our sport and without their commitment, time and dedication, there would be no motorsport," Red Bull's triple world champion said on his website.

Interactive: Montreal track guide, results and standings

The Ferrari team of second-placed Fernando Alonso also issued a statement.

"The winners and losers from this seventh round of the championship, along with the workers and the fans who watched the race from the grandstands or on television, are all thinking of someone who lost their life in an absurd way while involved in what was surely their passion -- racing," its website reported.

"Indeed, without the work of people like him, events like Formula One grands prix could not even take place.

"Ferrari wishes to express its condolences for the death of this track marshal too: we are doing it here, via the internet, to invite everyone who shares our passion for motorsport to be thinking of the family and friends of the victim."

Motorsport's ruling body the FIA released details of the incident late Sunday .

"The worker, a member of the Automobile Club de l'Ile Notre Dame, was the victim of an unfortunate accident that occurred at the end of this afternoon's Formula 1 Grand Prix du Canada," it said in a statement.

Read: Vettel claims first Canadian victory

"The worker was helping to recover a car which had stopped during the race. The recovery vehicle had lifted the car to return it to the pits and while doing this the worker dropped his radio and attempted to pick it up. As he did this, he stumbled and was hit and run over by the recovery vehicle.

"The FIA, l'Automobile Club de l'Ile Notre-Dame and the Formula One Grand Prix du Canada want to communicate their deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim. The identity of the worker cannot be revealed at this time."

It was the first time an F1 track worker has died since 2001, in Melbourne, while another passed away at the Italian circuit of Monza the previous year.

Graham Beveridge was killed at the Australian Grand Prix after being hit by a flying wheel from Jacques Villeneuve's BAR-Honda, just months after volunteer firefighter Paolo Ghislimberti suffered fatal head and chest injuries when a loose wheel from the Jordan of Heinz-Harald Frentzen struck him.

Those incidents prompted a major review of safety precautions at F1 races.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT