Skip to main content

FIA: Mercedes did not get permission for tire test

June 20, 2013 -- Updated 1744 GMT (0144 HKT)
Mercedes could face sanctions after using its 2013 car in a private test with tire supplier Pirelli.
Mercedes could face sanctions after using its 2013 car in a private test with tire supplier Pirelli.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Formula One's governing body say Mercedes did not get permission for tire test
  • German team facing sanctions for conducting test with tire manufacturer Pirelli
  • Mercedes claim the test was run by Pirelli and as such they should not face action
  • Verdict due in the tribunal held in Paris on Friday

(CNN) -- Formula One's governing body the FIA has told a tribunal in Paris that Mercedes did not get permission for an alleged illegal tire test with Pirelli, according to the sport's official website.

The German marque conducted a three-day, 1,000 km tire test with the sport's official supplier Pirelli in May.

The FIA launched an investigation after rival teams Red Bull and Ferrari lodged an official protest upon learning of the development test in Spain, which was reported by race stewards.

The tribunal has the power to impose fines and bans, including exclusion from the F1 world championship.

Read: Mercedes and Pirelli face sanctions over test

When Silver Arrows dominated F1
Designing Formula One tires
When Silver Arrows dominated F1

At the hearing in France, the FIA reiterated that it did not give official permission for the test and argued that Pirelli had not offered other teams the chance to participate.

It said although FIA race director Charlie Whiting had suggested a test was possible if all teams were offered the chance to take part, that did not represent an agreement.

According to the FIA, Mercedes could have fallen foul of the International Sporting Code which prevents: "Any fraudulent conduct or any act prejudicial to the interests of any competition or to the interests of motorsport generally."

Mercedes insisted the test had been conducted by Pirelli and not them, and as such, they had not broken the rule which states: "Track testing shall be considered any track running time not part of an Event undertaken by a competitor entered in the Championship."

The German team also claimed that if the test they took part in had breached the rules then so had one conducted by Ferrari. They claimed the Italian team had discussed tire data from the test with Pirelli.

Mercedes' rivals objected because it used race drivers Lewis Hamilton and Nico Rosberg to carry out the test in the team's 2013 car -- and it is primarily for these reasons the sport's governing body has brought the case before its tribunal.

Rival teams have accused Mercedes of gaining a significant competitive advantage from the test and of conducting it in secret two days after the Spanish Grand Prix, where both Rosberg and Hamilton suffered tire problems despite the German having started in pole position for the second successive race.

Mercedes team principal Ross Brawn stressed his team could not have prospered from the test data.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT