Skip to main content

Danish driver Simonsen killed in high speed crash at Le Mans 24-hour race

June 23, 2013 -- Updated 0713 GMT (1513 HKT)
Allan Simonsen died as a result of injuries in a high-speed crash at the Le Mans 24-hour race in France.
Allan Simonsen died as a result of injuries in a high-speed crash at the Le Mans 24-hour race in France.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Fatality at Le Mans 24-hour endurance race
  • Danish driver Allan Simonsen dies after high speed crash
  • Simonsen was driving an Aston Martin
  • His team had been in pole position in the GTE-AM class at Le Mans

(CNN) -- Danish driver Allan Simonsen died in a high-speed crash at the famous Le Mans 24 Hour endurance race, organizers said Saturday.

Simonsen, 34, one of the most experienced sports car drivers in the world, was competing for Aston Martin in the GTE-Am class.

He was at the wheel -- less than 10 minutes into the race -- when his car left the circuit on the Tertre Rouge corner and crashed heavily into the safety barriers.

Simonsen was immediately treated at the scene before being taken to the circuit's medical center where he died shortly afterwards, officials said.

The Automobile Club de l'Ouest wishes to express its great sadness following this incident, and extends its deepest condolences to the family and those close to Allan Simonsen
Statement by Le Mans organizers

"The Automobile Club de l'Ouest wishes to express its great sadness following this incident, and extends its deepest condolences to the family and those close to Allan Simonsen," read a statement.

Simonsen was competing for the seventh time in the Le Mans 24-race and his teammates were fellow Danes Christoffer Nygaard and Kristian Poulsen.

The trio had won their class in the season opener for the World Endurance Championship at Silverstone and claimed pole position for Le Mans in their category in qualifying earlier this week.

After the accident, the race was halted for an hour before resuming with Simonsen's Aston Martin teammates -- they have five entries -- still racing despite the tragedy.

"At the specific request of his family, the team will continue to participate in the 24 Hours of Le Mans in tribute to Allan," read a statement on the official Aston Martin Racing website.

"On behalf of all of us at Aston Martin Racing, I would like to extend our deepest sympathies and condolences to the individuals, and families whose friends or loved ones were involved in today's terrible tragedy," said the team's managing director John Gaw.

Formula One star Jenson Button gave his reaction on Twitter: "Allan Simonsen RIP.such a tragic loss. A true fighter & a true racer. Safety is something we need 2 improve on in Motorsport."

This year's Le Mans marks the 90th anniversary of the race and its 81st edition on the Circuit de la Sarthe, which is situated two hours south west of of the French capital Paris.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT