Skip to main content

World number one Djokovic negotiates first round dangers

June 26, 2013 -- Updated 0018 GMT (0818 HKT)
2011 champion Novak Djokovic is bidding to win Wimbledon for a second time.
2011 champion Novak Djokovic is bidding to win Wimbledon for a second time.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • World number one Djokovic beats Germany's Florian Mayer in straight sets
  • Tomas Berdych and Martin del Porto also comfortably through
  • Bernard Tomic makes plea for controversial father John to be allowed Wimbledon entry

(CNN) -- World number one Novak Djokovic began his bid to win a second Wimbledon title with a straight sets victory as he focused hard on avoiding a shock Rafael Nadal-style defeat.

A day after the Spaniard bowed out against Belgian world No. 135 Steve Darcis, the Serb was in unforgiving mood as he defeated Germany's Florian Mayer 6-3 7-5 6-4.

Djokovic was playing his first match since losing a thrilling five-set semifinal at the French Open against Nadal, who went on to win the tournament for a record eighth time.

Read: Nadal crashes out of Wimbledon (again)

"I watched the bigger part of (the Nadal-Darcis) match and I thought that his opponent played great," Djokovic said.

"Darcis came up with some incredible shots, incredible points in important moments and he deserved to win.

Pat Cash's Wimbledon tour
The Wimbledon greats
Murray inspired by friend's cancer fight
Wimbledon's wild card returns home
Tennis Tips: Recovery footwork
In or out? Let Twitter decide
Becker: Ronaldo the tennis ace?

"I know people expect all the top players to get to at least the final stages of a grand slam or whatever tournament they play. It was a surprise in the end him losing to Darcis, but his opponent played great."

Having been seeded in the opposite section of the draw, Djokovic would have been unable to meet Nadal until the final itself but now his main rivals would appear to be either Wimbledon maestro Roger Federer, the defending champion, or local favorite Andy Murray.

Read: Wimbledon draw favors Djokovic

Yet Djokovic is refusing to look so far ahead as he says the early rounds of grand slams can be very testing for the world's leading players.

"You cannot take anything or anybody for granted. You have to be grateful for being in this position and work even harder to stay there," said the 2011 Wimbledon champion.

"The sport is evolving, like everything in life. Everybody is getting better, getting more professional.

"Especially at the opening stages of grand slams, there are a lot of quality players who have nothing to lose really coming on the Center Court or Court One, playing in front of 10,000 or more people.

"Against one of the top players, what can you really lose? You're going and you're playing your best tennis."

Djokovic had taken a risk ahead of the championships by failing to play any competitive matches on grass but he gave a convincing display against a player whose game, the Serb says, is "suited to grass".

Bidding for a seventh grand slam, Djokovic will now meet American Bobby Reynolds in the second round.

The Serb is in the same half of the draw as David Ferrer, the Spanish fourth seed who lost his first grand slam final to Nadal last month.

A master of clay, Ferrer had to adapt to the Wimbledon surface as he beat Wimbledon debutant Martin Alund of Argentina in four sets.

"It is difficult to play on grass for my game," said Ferrer. "It is very difficult to defend. I am happy because I am in the second round but I know that I have to improve my game."

In other matches on Tuesday, seven seed Tomas Berdych eased through in straight sets against Martin Klizan in what is the Czech's 40th straight appearance at a grand slam.

Germany's Tommy Haas, a quarterfinalist at Roland Garros, overcame Dmitry Tursunov while Juan Martin del Potro beat Albert Ramos in straight sets.

Read: Tomic stands by troubled dad

Elsewhere, Australia's Bernard Tomic defeated American 21st seed Sam Querrey before making an impassioned plea for his controversial father to be allowed entry to Wimbledon.

Tomic's father has been barred from attending by Wimbledon authorities after an incident involving his son's doubles partner Thomas Drouet in May, with security guards having been told to deny John Tomic entry even if he buys a ticket.

Bernard wants Wimbledon and the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) to overturn the suspension imposed after John was accused of headbutting Drouet on the streets of Madrid.

The ban is ongoing at all ATP events until the case reaches its conclusion, with Tomic set to face a Madrid court in October, and his 20-year-old son is now missing both his father and coach.

"All of a sudden not to have someone there who's been there for you your whole life is very difficult. It's not a good feeling. It's tough," said Bernard, whose father is staying with him in south London.

"I'll try and have a word with (the Wimbledon authorities). I know they are very strict here. We'll see what they say. It would be amazing to have my dad here watching me as a coach and a father."

John Tomic has claimed self-defense for his actions.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
CNN's Will Edmonds says Serena Williams can match Steffi Graf's record haul of 22 grand slam titles following her U.S. Open triumph.
September 9, 2013 -- Updated 1224 GMT (2024 HKT)
Two years after losing part of her lung during a blood clot operation, U.S. Open champion Serena Williams insists playing tennis "is just fun now."
September 4, 2013 -- Updated 1130 GMT (1930 HKT)
Her doubles playing dad is the sporting star of the family, but Micaela Bryan's Twitter page is making the toddler a viral sensation.
Roger Federer is now in danger of diminishing his incredible tennis legacy, says CNN's Will Edmonds.
August 27, 2013 -- Updated 1107 GMT (1907 HKT)
Tennis parents don't have the best of reputations. Think Damir Dokic, John Tomic and Jim Pierce. However, Andy Murray's Mum is very different.
August 15, 2013 -- Updated 1421 GMT (2221 HKT)
Frenchwoman Marion Bartoli won eight WTA Tour titles during her 13-year career.
Marion Bartoli has retired from tennis with immediate effect, just six weeks after winning her first grand slam title at Wimbledon.
August 28, 2013 -- Updated 0949 GMT (1749 HKT)
Pat Cash meets golfing great Jack Nicklaus who explains why the golf swing is very similar to the basics of tennis.
August 22, 2013 -- Updated 1218 GMT (2018 HKT)
Pedro Pinto meets reigning U.S. Open doubles champion Sara Errani, who advanced to the semifinals in singles last year.
August 30, 2013 -- Updated 1512 GMT (2312 HKT)
It's almost been 40 years since tennis legend Billie Jean King's historic Battle of the Sexes match. Mark McKay reports.
October 2, 2013 -- Updated 1443 GMT (2243 HKT)
Tennis legends Jim Courier and John McEnroe show us why Djokovic, Murray, Nadal and Federer are so tough.
August 22, 2013 -- Updated 1431 GMT (2231 HKT)
When the women's singles champion at the U.S. Open picks up her $2.6 million check, she should spare a moment to thank Billie Jean King.
August 1, 2013 -- Updated 1133 GMT (1933 HKT)
Former world No. 1 Martina Hingis made her long-awaited return to WTA action at the Southern California Open with victory in the doubles.
July 26, 2013 -- Updated 1427 GMT (2227 HKT)
Viktor Troicki believes he has been "treated like a criminal" after being hit with an 18-month ban for flouting doping regulations.
July 9, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
You can be forgiven for losing track of time the morning after a night 77 years in the making.
The number seven will always have a special resonance for Andy Murray, says CNN's William Edmonds.
July 5, 2013 -- Updated 1127 GMT (1927 HKT)
The final game of one of the most memorable matches in Wimbledon history, featuring two fan favorites, took on a life of its own.
June 20, 2013 -- Updated 0954 GMT (1754 HKT)
When Andy Murray dedicated a tournament win to a friend, it revealed an unexpected personal side to one of the more guarded men in sport.
June 19, 2013 -- Updated 1844 GMT (0244 HKT)
Open Court sifts through the archive to bring you some of its favorite interviews from the past 3 years.
June 19, 2013 -- Updated 1835 GMT (0235 HKT)
Open Court's Pat Cash takes viewers for a behind the scenes tour of Wimbledon.
ADVERTISEMENT