Formula One to change rules mid-season to help end tire chaos
July 2, 2013 -- Updated 1356 GMT (2156 HKT)
Formula One's governing body has agreed to in-season tire testing to safeguard driver safety
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
- Formula One to change rules on in-season testing and tire changes
- Teams to run tire tests at Silverstone on July 17-19
- FIA president Jean Todt says driver safety must be the priority
- Six tire blow-outs at the British Grand Prix have inflated safety concerns
(CNN) -- Formula One's governing body is taking the unusual step of rewriting its own rulebook in the middle of the season in an attempt to end the tire crisis threatening to undermine the sport.
The FIA has acted quickly by deciding to amend two rules which ban race drivers testing and prevent tires being changed during the season.
The drivers and teams had called for urgent action after a series of dramatic tire blow-outs compromised driver safety at the British Grand Prix Sunday.
Mercedes driver Lewis Hamilton, who lost the race lead when his left-rear tire unravelled on lap eight, the Ferraris of Felipe Massa and Fernando Alonso, Toro Rosso's Jean-Eric Vergne, McLaren's Sergio Perez and Sauber's Esteban Gutierrez were all affected by tires failures.
In response to the chaotic scenes at Silverstone, the FIA has proposed that race drivers take part in a tire development test at the British circuit on July 17-19.
The test had originally been set aside for the teams to trial their young drivers, who are now set to miss out on a rare opportunity to drive an F1 car.
Pirelli tires: Ready to roll
Designing Formula One tires
Formula One season off to a racing start
"Our priority is to ensure safety for all in Formula One and we believe the incidents at Silverstone represent a genuine safety concern for the drivers," said FIA President Jean Todt.
"We have thus taken the decision to alter the Young Driver Test in a bid to solve the problems we saw at the British Grand Prix. I believe it is fitting to carry out this work at the circuit upon which the issues were manifested."
The FIA's World Motorsport Council now has to give the green light to the rule changes, but that is expected to be a formality.
F1's sole tire supplier Pirelli is due to announce its response to the chaos at the British GP later on Tuesday.
The Italian manufacturer said at Silverstone it had been looking forward to focusing on the racing after being reprimanded at an FIA hearing for organizing a three-day tire test with Mercedes in May -- but instead Pirelli has found itself once again the center of unwanted attention.
Read: Mercedes and Pirelli punished for tire test
Mercedes -- who were also reprimanded by the FIA for using race drivers Hamilton and Nico Rosberg and a 2013 car at the controversial Barcelona tire test -- have decided to sit out the Silverstone test for the sake of harmony within the sport.
The German team's "secret" test still riles their rivals -- especially as they have since won races in Monaco and Britain -- but the shocking tire explosions at the British GP have underlined the need for Pirelli to find a legitimate solution to the tire failures.
Pirelli had wanted to introduce a new tire construction at the Canadian Grand Prix in June but failed to get all the teams to agree to the plan at a meeting in Monaco.
A spate of worryingly delaminations -- where the tire layers separate -- earlier in the season had led to concerns the tires were not safe.
When Pirelli took over from Bridgestone as F1's official tire supplier in 2011, the rubber was deliberately designed to be less durable so that teams would do more pit stops and the racing would be more unpredictable.
But subsequent changes to the construction of the 2013 tire, based on the same principles, have now provoked not just unpredictability but chaos on the track.
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
Today's five most popular stories