Skip to main content

Feeling unsafe? 'Don't drive' says world champion Vettel

July 5, 2013 -- Updated 1252 GMT (2052 HKT)
Sebastian Vettel was forced to withdraw from last weekend's British GP due to gearbox problems.
Sebastian Vettel was forced to withdraw from last weekend's British GP due to gearbox problems.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Sebastian Vettel tells drivers who feel unsafe not to drive in F1 cars
  • F1 drivers have threatened to boycott German GP in a row over tires
  • Five drivers experienced tire blowouts at British Grand Prix
  • Red Bull's Vettel currently leads the 2013 world championship

(CNN) -- Triple world champion Sebastian Vettel has told Formula One drivers who feel unsafe behind the wheel to stay out of the cockpit as the Red Bull driver weighed in on the ongoing tire row.

The Grand Prix Drivers' Association (GPDA) issued a statement Thursday to "express their deepest concerns" after five drivers at last weekend's Brtiish Grand Prix, including Mercedes' race leader Lewis Hamilton, experienced high-speed tire blowouts.

Read: F1 drivers threaten German GP boycott

The GPDA has threatened to boycott Sunday's German Grand Prix should a repeat of last weekend's Silverstone race occur, with tire supplier Pirelli responding by modifying its tires with a Kevlar strip to prevent punctures.

CNN's F1 Interactive: German Grand Prix

Germany's Vettel, a world champion in each of the last three years, says it is up to each driver to decide whether they feel comfortable in the cockpit.

Pirelli tires: Ready to roll
Designing Formula One tires
Who is the greatest F1 driver ever?

"At the end of the day it is an individual decision for each driver about whether you think that it is safe or not," the 26-year-old told Formula One's official website.

"If you feel that the risk is too high, then you should not get into the car. For sure I think that no one could have predicted the Silverstone race to develop like it did, so there is nobody to blame for that.

Read: Pirelli come out fighting in tire row

"The good thing from it was that right after the Silverstone race many people sat together and were looking for a constructive solution, and we arrived here in Germany with a different set of rear tires.

"It was a positive surprise to see that given that small window of time, Pirelli was able to bring a different component, and now we have to see if it works.

"So I think it is very positive that they took the criticism seriously and just decided to make some changes."

Sunday's race represents a home grand prix for Vettel, who celebrated his 26th birthday earlier this week.

"Seeing all the fans that support us German drivers gives me a great feeling," added Vettel, who leads the 2013 drivers' standings by 21 points from Ferrari's Fernando Alonso.

"It is a true privilege to have a home grand prix at all.

"I can still remember coming here and seeing all the Michael Schumacher fans at a time when I wasn't even dreaming of being in Formula One."

"We are very confident that we could win here, but we shall not underestimate our competitors.

"We are not putting ourselves under too much pressure though, as there is no way of forcing a win here or indeed anywhere else."

Elsewhere in motorsport, it was announced that Argentina will host a round of the MotoGP world championships for the first time since 1999.

The South American country will host elite motorcycling racing at the newly-built Termas de Rio Honda circuit on a three-year deal starting from next season.

"It is a great honor to receive this championship in Argentina in addition to other sporting events that take place in our country such as the Dakar Rally," Argentine National Tourism Minister Enrique Meyer told MotoGP's official website.

"We hope that the Argentine public can enjoy the top class of motorcycle racing, which hasn't come to our country since 1999, and we will do our best to make sure MotoGP stays in our country for a long time."

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT