Skip to main content

Dutch couple kidnapped in Yemen plead for help in video

By Hakim Al-Masmari, for CNN
July 17, 2013 -- Updated 0443 GMT (1243 HKT)
A still image from a YouTube video uploaded on July 16, 2013 shows Dutch nationals Boudewijn Berendsen and Judith Spiegel.
A still image from a YouTube video uploaded on July 16, 2013 shows Dutch nationals Boudewijn Berendsen and Judith Spiegel.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • The couple was kidnapped on June 15 as they were leaving their home in Sanaa
  • A tribal leader involved in mediation says the couple is going through depression
  • In a video posted online, the Dutch woman says "we have a big problem"
  • Government records show some 35 kidnapping attempts in Yemen this year

(CNN) -- A Dutch couple kidnapped in Yemen last month pleaded for help in a video released on Monday.

"We have been kidnapped here in Yemen and we have a big problem," said the woman in 90-second video posted online. The couple went on to say they had spoken to the Dutch ambassador to Yemen about the demands of their kidnappers, and are asking for help.

A spokeswoman for the Dutch Foreign Ministry, meanwhile, released a statement saying: "The Foreign minister announced on the Ministry's Facebook page that the government is concerned about the safety of the citizens. The situation is being given the government's full attention. The families of the abductees have been contacted."

The couple was kidnapped on June 15 as they were leaving their home in Hadda zone, one of the most secure locations of the Yemeni capital of Sanaa. They had gone missing for a week before the authorities were alerted and the Dutch embassy informed.

Source: 3 European hostages released in Yemen

A tribal leader involved in the mediation process told CNN that the health situation of the Dutch couple was stable although they are going through depression.

"The kidnappers are asking for a ransom but have yet to announce how much," said the tribal leader who asked to remain anonymous due to sensitivity of the matter.

The tribal leader said that the government has indirectly asked a number of tribal leaders to be involved in this case and to help in ensuring their safe release, adding "our priority is the safety of the Dutch couple."

When contacted by CNN, the Yemeni Interior Ministry would not address who was behind the latest kidnapping. "It is for the best interest of this case that comments are not given by the ministry. But I would like to assure that we are doing our best," a senior official in the minister's office said. The official would not say if the government had information on the whereabouts of the Dutch couple.

Interior Ministry records show that some 35 kidnapping attempts have taken place in Yemen this year. Most of the victims have been released, all unharmed.

Kidnapped Red Cross workers freed in Yemen

Al Qaeda is believed to have been behind most of the kidnappings, including that of a South African couple in May. A Finnish couple and a Austrian who were kidnapped by tribesmen last December were released five months later following tribal mediation involving Oman.

Last week, activists in Yemen launched an online signature campaign this week to exert some pressure on the Yemeni government to ensure that the disappearance of the Dutch couple is treated with care and caution.

The Yemeni Journalist Syndicate (YJS) has condemned the kidnapping, saying that local groups are using the practice as a bargaining chip against the government.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
This looks like a ghost ship, but it's actually the site of a tense international standoff between the Philippines and China.
July 26, 2014 -- Updated 1555 GMT (2355 HKT)
The reported firing of artillery from Russian territory is a sign Vladimir Putin has escalated the Ukraine battle, says CNN's military analyst Rick Francona.
July 27, 2014 -- Updated 0846 GMT (1646 HKT)
The young boy stops, stares, throws ammunition casings at the reporter's feet without a word.
July 27, 2014 -- Updated 1237 GMT (2037 HKT)
A picture taken on June 28, 2014 shows a member of Doctors Without Borders (MSF) putting on protective gear at the isolation ward of the Donka Hospital in Conakry, where people infected with the Ebola virus are being treated. The World Health Organization has warned that Ebola could spread beyond hard-hit Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone to neighbouring nations, but insisted that travel bans were not the answer.
The worst ebola outbreak in history spreads out of control in West Africa. CNN's Michael Holmes reports.
July 26, 2014 -- Updated 0048 GMT (0848 HKT)
Sure, Fido is a brown Lab. But inside, he may also be a little green.
July 24, 2014 -- Updated 2006 GMT (0406 HKT)
ITN's Dan Rivers reports from the hospital where those injured by an attack in Gaza were being treated.
July 28, 2014 -- Updated 1303 GMT (2103 HKT)
Photograph of an undisclosed location by Patrycja Makowska
Patrycja Makowska likes to give enigmatic names to the extraordinarily beautiful photographs she shoots of crumbling palaces.
July 23, 2014 -- Updated 0804 GMT (1604 HKT)
When the Costa Concordia and its salvage convoy finally depart Giglio, the residents will breathe a sigh of relief -- and shed a tear.
July 25, 2014 -- Updated 1808 GMT (0208 HKT)
Flight attendants are wearing black ribbons to show solidarity with fallen colleagues in "a tribute to those who never made it home."
CNN joins the fight to end modern-day slavery by shining a spotlight on its horrors and highlighting success stories.
Browse through images from CNN teams around the world that you don't always see on news reports.
ADVERTISEMENT