Skip to main content

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali: No rift with Fernando Alonso

August 29, 2013 -- Updated 1442 GMT (2242 HKT)
Stefano Domenicali has been team principal at Ferrari since 2008.
Stefano Domenicali has been team principal at Ferrari since 2008.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Stefano Domenicali denies a rift with Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso
  • Ferrari team principal Domenicali also rejects claims he is not up to the task
  • Alonso is second in the drivers' standings, 46 points behind Sebastian Vettel
  • Domenicali would not be drawn on Ferrari's rumored interest in Kimi Raikkonen

(CNN) -- Ferrari team principal Stefano Demenicali has rejected suggestions a power struggle between him and driver Fernando Alonso is the reason behind the Italian team's faltering Formula One season.

Alonso, a two-time world champion, picked up two grands prix wins in the first five races of the season, but he has struggled to match the blistering pace set by Red Bull's three-time drivers' champion Sebastian Vettel.

The Spaniard is second in the drivers' standings and trails the leader Vettel by 46 points after finishing runner up to the German at Sunday's Belgian Grand Prix.

Domenicali, who has been team principal of F1's most successful team since 2008, denied a rift with Alonso and also dismissed suggestions he is too soft for one of motorsport's most demanding jobs.

Read: McLaren chief admits "big mistakes"

Lotus hopeful on Raikkonen
Watch adrenaline-filled tour of Spa track

"No, no, this is something that I totally reject," Domenicali told the sport's official website. "We want to win together.

"It is a super-competitive environment where you are a hero when you win and a zero when you lose -- there is not really something in between for us. Be sure that we are united to win -- because that's what we are here for."

Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo has not been shy in expressing his dissatisfaction with the team.

He "tweaked" Alonso's ear last month when the driver sarcastically remarked he would like "someone else's car" for his birthday.

"He is our chairman and he is very passionate about this part of his job, this side of the business," Domenicali said of Di Montezemolo.

"It is normal that he is very pushy with us because we had a really difficult July. It was a sign of attention from him -- I read it this way, that's it.

"We know we need to be focused -- and he reminded us of that -- and that we have to be united to pass this difficult moment."

New Jersey was originally scheduled to stage Formula One's inaugural Grand Prix of America in June 2013, and Red Bull took its RB7 car over to the state of New York one year early to test drive the streets. New Jersey was originally scheduled to stage Formula One's inaugural Grand Prix of America in June 2013, and Red Bull took its RB7 car over to the state of New York one year early to test drive the streets.
Red Bull in the big city
HIDE CAPTION
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
6
>
>>
Red Bull Racing takes on New York Red Bull Racing takes on New York
Pastor Maldonado took the new Williams for a spin at Barcelona on February 19 following the launch at Circuit de Catalunya. Pastor Maldonado took the new Williams for a spin at Barcelona on February 19 following the launch at Circuit de Catalunya.
F1 teams unveil 2013 cars
HIDE CAPTION
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
>
>>
F1 teams unveil 2013 cars F1 teams unveil 2013 cars

Read: Lotus chief -- "Raikkonen wants to stay"

Domenicali was also coy on rumors Lotus' Kimi Raikkonen could be in line for a return to the team he won the world championship with in 2007 -- Ferrari's last drivers' title.

"Kimi is a very fast driver and everybody knows how I rate him. But if I make a comment now it will be taken as a direct answer.

"As I said, there is no rush and we will make the right decision in the right moment."

Meanwhile David Ward has announced he intends to stand in the FIA's presidential elections later this year.

Ward has resigned from his post as director general of world motorsport's governing body's charitable foundation to run for the post currently held by former Ferrari chief Jean Todt.

"After much careful thought I have decided to stand," Ward said in a statement. "The election period begins in September and it will be necessary for me to approach FIA members to secure nominations.

"In these circumstances I think that the correct course of action is to resign.

"Election processes inevitably involve robust and lively debate, and whilst the foundation is independent and there is no legal requirement for me to resign, I believe that it is in the best interests of the charity that I stand down now."

Frenchman Todt, who has been president of the FIA since 2009, has yet to announce whether or not he intends to run for reelection.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT