Skip to main content

Jorge Lorenzo holds off Marc Marquez to win thrilling British MotoGP

September 1, 2013 -- Updated 1501 GMT (2301 HKT)
Jorge Lorenzo was jumping for joy after beating two Honda racers at the British MotoGP at Silverstone.
Jorge Lorenzo was jumping for joy after beating two Honda racers at the British MotoGP at Silverstone.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Jorge Lorenzo ends the winning streak of Marc Marquez by capturing the British MotoGP
  • In a tense finish, Marquez overtook Lorenzo but was then caught by his fellow Spaniard
  • Marquez raced despite suffering a dislocated shoulder in the warm-up at Silverstone
  • Despite placing second, Marquez increases his lead in the individual standings

(CNN) -- A dislocated shoulder suffered in the warm-up wasn't enough to stop Marc Marquez from competing at the British MotoGP but the surging rookie saw his winning streak snapped by Jorge Lorenzo in a thrilling finish.

Marquez overtook Lorenzo during the final lap at Silverstone only for the reigning world champion to slip inside his fellow Spaniard after he uncharacteristically went wide on a turn.

Marquez, who began on pole, thus failed in his bid to claim a fifth consecutive victory.

"As usual Marc pushed in the last laps and overtook me but I didn't want to lose this race," Lorenzo told the BBC. "When he overtook me three corners from the end, I thought it was over.

"But he opened a little space and I said, 'Now or never.' I'm very, very pleased."

The race was similar to last week's Czech Grand Prix, when Honda's Marquez stayed behind Yamaha's Lorenzo before making a late charge.

Read: Marquez makes history in Brno

Lorenzo: Motorcycling is like dancing
A country club for exotic sports cars
Township birthday, motorsport style

On Sunday Lorenzo moved ahead of Marquez yards after the start -- they appeared to make contact side by side -- and held the advantage until he was passed with three laps remaining.

Lorenzo quickly regained the lead but it looked as if Marquez would once again come out on top as the racers neared the finish line.

Lorenzo ultimately had the last word.

"Anyway the battle was so nice with Jorge," Marquez told the BBC. "Just the last corner I went a little bit too wide because I went too fast."

Despite the second-place result Marquez increased his lead in the individual standings to 30 points over teammate Dani Pedrosa, who settled for third.

Lorenzo's deficit with six races to go was reduced from 44 points to 39.

Marquez's spot on the grid was in doubt when he crashed in cooler conditions ahead of the race but he was soon patched up and ready.

He said, though, that the injury made things difficult when he changed direction. Lorenzo and Pedrosa have had to contend with their own shoulder injuries this season, helping Marquez.

There was drama, too, in the battle for fourth, with crowd favorite Valentino Rossi passing Alvaro Bautista in the late stages.

Another crowd favorite at Silverstone, home hope Cal Crutchlow, came away disappointed after coming seventh. He started third on the grid.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT