Skip to main content

Fernando Alonso shrugs off Ferrari frustration in Monza qualifying

September 7, 2013 -- Updated 1718 GMT (0118 HKT)
Spanish driver Fernando Alonso is hoping to give Ferrari victory at the team's home Italian Grand Prix.
Spanish driver Fernando Alonso is hoping to give Ferrari victory at the team's home Italian Grand Prix.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Fernando Alonso will start fifth on the grid for his Ferrari team's home race in Italy
  • Spaniard was beaten by his teammate Felipe Massa, who qualifies fourth
  • Championship leader Sebastian Vettel wins pole in Red Bull 1-2 at Monza
  • Last year's race winner Lewis Hamilton misses Q3 and will start back in 12th

(CNN) -- On the face of Saturday's qualifying results, Ferrari's hopes of closing the gap on the all-conquering Red Bull at the Italian team's home grand prix seem as distant as they have most of this season.

Fernando Alonso will start Sunday's race at Monza fifth on the grid, and a place behind teammate Felipe Massa, while Sebastian Vettel and Mark Webber will have the front row to themselves.

Alonso, 46 points behind Formula One championship leader Vettel, had appeared to make up ground on the German in the morning practice session but qualifying did not go to plan.

The Spaniard had hoped to use "towing" tactics behind Massa to boost his lap times, but the Brazilian got too far ahead in the third session and ended up setting a faster pace.

F1 interactive: Explore Monza

Alonso was heard complaining on his team radio, "Felipe is too far away!" -- and then reportedly called his crew "idiots," though he said it was actually "geniuses."

Paul di Resta's Italian ancestry
Lotus hopeful on Raikkonen

However, the two-time world champion later downplayed the incident and insisted he was happier this weekend than after the previous race in Belgium, where Alonso qualified ninth and Massa 10th.

"Here at Monza the slipstreaming strategy is often used: having a car three to four seconds ahead of you allows you to gain a few tenths and for that I must thank Felipe, especially in Q3 when I came up behind Vergne's Toro Rosso and he waited for me," Alonso, Alonso, who won the race for Ferrari in 2010 and McLaren in 2007, said on his team's website.

"The radio messages have been misunderstood, as is often the case when you don't experience something first hand: the word 'genius' refers to the fact that we could have got out before Rosberg had gone by on his quick lap, but this should not raise any doubts about the impeccable job from the whole team.

"Today, we were able to run competitively in all three sessions and get closer than ever before to the rear wings of the Red Bulls. For the first time, there are not so many cars between them and us."

Read: Vettel sets pace in Monza practice

Nevertheless, Alonso's best time of one minute 24.142 seconds was well adrift of Vettel's 1:23.755, while Webber clocked 1:23.968.

Vettel is seeking his third victory at Monza, having won there in 2008 with Toro Rosso and again in 2011 on the way to his second of three consecutive world titles.

"We didn't expect to be so strong here, with both cars on the front row," he said after earning his fourth pole this season.

"We've had years where we've had a good car, but not a car that's competitive in low downforce trim, so in that regard we did our homework."

Read: Scot's Italian roots, Ferrari 'dream'

Nico Hulkenberg, whose Sauber is powered by a Ferrari engine, provided the surprise of the day as he clinched third place on the grid in 1:24.065.

Fernando Alonso recovers from car crash
Fernando Alonso's drive to the top

"I didn't expect that after a very difficult Friday," said the German, whose teammate Esteban Gutierrez qualified 17th but will start a place higher following Adrian Sutil's penalty.

"Yesterday we struggled a lot with the car and the guys have done a fantastic job turning it around to give me such a competitive car today."

While Hulkenberg boosted his chances of a best finish since placing eighth in Malaysia in March, Mercedes boss Ross Brawn lamented his team's worst qualifying performance this season.

Lewis Hamilton missed final qualifying for the first time in 67 races, and will start 12th on the grid after his run of four successive pole positions ended in miserable style.

Read: Alonso saves cycling team

Nico Rosberg was back in sixth, having missed most of the morning practice due to hydraulics problems.

"That was our worst qualifying session of the year," Brawn said. "With the standards we set ourselves, that makes this result a real disappointment."

Hamilton refused to blame Sutil for the incident that cost the Force India driver a three-place penalty, demoting the German to 17th as punishment for impeding the British driver as he tried to set a timed lap.

"I just didn't get a lap together in Q2 today and it's hugely disappointing, not just for me, but also for the team and I can only apologize to them as we had a quick car today," said the 2008 world champion, who won the race last year while at McLaren.

"I came off at Parabolica on my first run which damaged the car and it was a downward spiral from there really."

Read: McLaren's 50 years in F1

Daniel Ricciardo, who will replace his fellow Australian Webber at Red Bull next season, bounced back from a difficult Friday by qualifying seventh for Toro Rosso -- his teammate Jean Eric Vergne was 10th.

McLaren's struggles continued, with Sergio Perez eighth and 2009 world champion Jenson Button ninth.

Kimi Raikkonen's title hopes receded even further as the Finn was back in 11th for Lotus, with teammate Romain Grosjean 13th.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT