(CNN)Here's a look at the Beslan School Siege.
Some reports suggest 31 of 32 hostage takers were killed. Two of the militants purportedly were women.
September 1, 2004
Armed Chechen rebels take approximately 1,200 children and adults hostage at a school in Beslan.
- 4:40 pm - 12 children and one adult escape after hiding in a boiler room.
- 7:30 pm - Contact is established with hostage takers.
- President Vladimir Putin cancels a trip to Turkey and makes a public statement about the school seizure.
- 4:45 pm - Approximately 26 hostages are released.
- 9:00 pm - Local authorities say approximately 20 male hostages are executed.
- 1:00 pm - Local authorities receive permission from hostage takers to remove bodies lying in front of the school that have been there since the siege began. A few minutes later, loud explosions are heard. Hostages begin fleeing the building and are shot at. Militants also begin fleeing the building. The roof in the gymnasium, where hundreds of hostages are held, collapses, killing many.
- 2:30 pm - Russian commandos take over the school and free many hostages.
- 3:17 pm - Most of the hostages are reportedly evacuated.
- The siege ends with more than 330 hostages dead, half of them are children.