Skip to main content

Kimi Raikkonen will be wake up call for Fernando Alonso, says Niki Lauda

September 19, 2013 -- Updated 1509 GMT (2309 HKT)
Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso faces the media in Singapore hungry to know what he makes of new team-mate Kimi Raikkonen.
Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso faces the media in Singapore hungry to know what he makes of new team-mate Kimi Raikkonen.
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Niki Lauda says Ferrari has made a "very good" decision by signing Kimi Raikkonen for 2014
  • The three-time world champion says it will also provide a "kick" for Fernando Alonso
  • He warns managing Raikkonen and Alonso in 2014 will take "strong leadership"
  • Lauda says bringing Lewis Hamilton to Mercedes made "hell of a difference"

(CNN) -- The man who made Formula One's bravest comeback has given his seal of approval to Kimi Raikkonen's dramatic decision to return to Ferrari.

Niki Lauda -- whose return from life threatening injuries has been immortalized this year in the Hollywood film "Rush" -- won his second world title for Ferrari in 1977, just one year after the fiery crash that almost took his life.

When asked by CNN's The Circuit what he made of Raikkonen's renaissance for Ferrari, Lauda, a man who does not mince his words, said: "Very good.

"It's the right decision by [Ferrari president Luca di] Montezemolo because Ferrari has been behind Red Bull on the last four world championships, which doesn't make him happy," added Lauda.

The Austrian three time world champion also predicted the arrival of the ambitious Finnish driver will give a "kick" to current Ferrari driver Fernando Alonso -- a suggestion the Spaniard denied ahead of this weekend's Singapore Grand Prix.

Interactive: The Circuit's guide to Singapore

The Italian team will field the sport's most potent driver line up in 2014, pairing Raikkonen with Alonso, the man they replaced the Finn with for the 2010 season.

Will Ferrari's drivers deliver success?
Kimi Raikkonen returns to Formula 1
Paul di Resta's Italian ancestry

Raikkonen raced to Ferrari's last drivers' world title in 2007 while the Spaniard has two world titles, won with Renault in 2005 and 2006, on his resume.

Pairing two ambitious world champions on opposite sides of the garage is a risky move.

It is also a departure from Ferrari's policy of running a No.1 driver -- a role Alonso held for the last four seasons -- with a driver playing a supporting role.

Raikkonen has replaced Felipe Massa, who famously handed victory to Alonso at the 2010 German Grand Prix when the team implicitly employed team orders by telling the Brazilian over the pit-to-car radio: "Fernando is faster than you."

Read: The Cult of Kimi Raikkonen

Lauda predicts Raikkonen's arrival will be a wake up call to Alonso -- and one that should make the 32 year-old raise his game.

"With Massa and Alonso it was very clear that Alonso was the No.1," Lauda commented. "With Kimi coming there, it will kick Alonso to go quicker.

"They are strong characters. It will need strong leadership from the top of Ferrari to keep them under control but for the team itself to suddenly get going, this was the right decision."

Lauda speaks with some authority. "Rush" adramatizes his arch rivalry with flamboyant British driver James Hunt and the Austrian is now drawing on his own experiences of managing on track rivalries as a non executive chairman of the Mercedes F1 team.

Read: Rush relives F1's glory days

The 64 year-old was instrumental in persuading 2008 world champion Lewis Hamilton to partner Nico Rosberg at Mercedes from McLaren for the 2013 season.

Hamilton's move was also considered to be a risk but it has paid off as he won the Hungarian Grand Prix, while McLaren is yet to score a podium, and Rosberg has also claimed two race wins.

Lauda says pairing two talented drivers within the same team has helped Rosberg and Hamilton push harder.

"I got Hamilton last year, I convinced him to join the team and he made a hell of a difference," Lauda explained.

"Suddenly you have two drivers pushing each other and [who] have a good relationship, this is the most important thing."

Alonso does not necessarily agree with Lauda's assessment.

The Spaniard told reporters in Singapore ahead of this weekend's grand prix that Raikkonen's arrival in 2014 will do little to change his work ethic for Ferrari.

"The motivation will be always similar," he said. "I will do my best all the time. I don't think anyone will push me more than I push now.

"Two world champions - I don't think that makes any difference."

Money problems for Raikkonen

Raikkonen spoke to the media for the first time since being unveiled as a Ferrari driver and also rejected suggestions that he and Alonso would not be able to work together in 2014.

"I don't see the reason why it wouldn't work," said the 33 year-old. "We are all old enough to know what we are doing.

"If there is something, I'm sure we can talk it through. It's not like we are 20 year-old guys any more.

"I might be wrong -- time will tell -- but I'm pretty sure everything will be good. For sure there will be hard fights on the race circuits, sometimes things go wrong... I'm pretty sure it will all be OK."

The Finnish driver, not known for his effusive answers when talking to the media, also revealed he decided to leave the Lotus at the end of 2013 because he is owed money by the team.

"The reasons why I left from the team is purely on the money side, that they haven't got my salary," Raikkonen explained.

"It's an unfortunate thing but like I said, I want to try and help the team as much as I can and I like to race."

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT