Skip to main content

Sebastian Vettel wins pole position in Singapore after qualifying gamble

September 21, 2013 -- Updated 1621 GMT (0021 HKT)
A pensive Sebastian Vettel waits to see if he has qualified in pole position for the Singapore Grand Prix at Marina Bay Street Circuit. A pensive Sebastian Vettel waits to see if he has qualified in pole position for the Singapore Grand Prix at Marina Bay Street Circuit.
HIDE CAPTION
Nervous wait for Vettel
Nervous wait for Vettel
Nervous wait for Vettel
Nervous wait for Vettel
<<
<
1
2
3
4
>
>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • F1 championship leader Sebastian Vettel wins pole position in Singapore
  • Red Bull star has nervous wait after deciding to post only one lap in qualifying
  • Mercedes' Nico Rosberg comes closest, qualifying second at Marina Bay
  • Vettel's closest title rival Fernando Alonso will start seventh on the grid

(CNN) -- Call it confidence, or call it arrogance -- but whatever it is, Sebastian Vettel certainly has it.

Already 53 points clear in his bid for a fourth consecutive world Formula One title, and seeking his third successive race victory, the Red Bull driver did not even bother trying to set a second lap in final qualifying for Sunday's Singapore Grand Prix.

So assured was the German that he was quickest on Saturday at Marina Bay, a grueling street circuit where he has triumphed under lights the past two years, he sat in the team garage and watched his rivals try in vain to beat his leading lap time.

"It was weird standing in the garage with roughly two minutes to go," the 26-year-old told reporters.

Niki Lauda on F1's most dangerous years
Paul di Resta's Italian ancestry
Watch adrenaline-filled tour of Spa track

"It then became much worse with the others making their final attempt and there's nothing you can do."

Interactive: See how F1 lights up Singapore

However, Mercedes' Nico Rosberg fell just short of Vettel's one minute 42.841 seconds, with the German clocking 1:42.932.

Lotus' Romain Grosjean was third fastest in 1:43.058, and the Frenchman will be joined on the second row of the grid by Vettel's teammate Mark Webber (1:43.152).

Webber was fastest in the first sector, Rosberg quickest in the second and Grosjean in the third, but Vettel's burst in the final section gave him the 41st pole position of his career

"I watched the sector times closely with Romain, Nico and Mark, but fortunately my last sector was strong enough to stay ahead of Nico," said Vettel, who was fastest in Friday's second practice and edged Grosjean in Saturday's final warmup.

"In the end it was a great feeling because it could have gone wrong. Yesterday the gap to the others was a surprise, but today was more what we expected."

Read: Alonso to reject McLaren overtures

Rosberg is seeking his first podium placing since winning the British Grand Prix five races ago in late June.

"Seb has been really quick all weekend," the 28-year-old said. "It was very close in the end. One tenth (of a second) more would have been possible, but second is still a good result.

"We've good race pace and I'm very confident for tomorrow."

Who is the greatest F1 driver ever?
Red Bull Show Run
Mark Webber back in the go-kart

His teammate Lewis Hamilton, who won the race in 2009 for McLaren, was fifth fastest ahead of Felipe Massa -- who again out-qualified his Ferrari teammate Fernando Alonso.

Alonso, the Singapore victor in 2008 and 2010, was seventh -- while Kimi Raikkonen, who will join the Spaniard at the Prancing Horse next year, will start in 13th after failing to reach Q3 for Lotus as he struggled with a back problem.

Alonso, who is second overall, and fellow title hopefuls Hamilton and Raikkonen will need significant improvements on Sunday if they are to stop Vettel extending his lead in the drivers' championship.

It had been reported that McLaren wanted Alonso to return to the team where he had one unhappy season in 2007, but he said after qualifyingn that he hoped to end his career at Ferrari.

"I've spent the last four races saying I want to stay at Ferrari and maybe extend the contract when they would like," the 32-year-old said.

"We are working very closely on arriving at that situation. To sit together and to try to do it, that's my desire, and the team has expressed to me more or less the same desire when we talk about this."

Raikkonen said he would start on Sunday, despite problems with a trapped nerve.

"This morning was very bad," the Finn said. "I couldn't really try, so we probably didn't get done what we wanted with the car, but at least we got it on the grid and we'll see what we can do in the race.

"It was good we drove in qualifying in the end, but it was not that nice."

McLaren's Jenson Button qualified eighth ahead of Toro Rosso's Daniel Ricciardo, who will replace fellow Australian Webber at Red Bull next year.

Sauber's Esteban Gutierrez completed the top 10, with the Mexican beating teammate Nico Hulkenberg for the first time this year. He will start the race with a choice of tire compounds after declining to set a time in Q3.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT