Skip to main content

Sebastian Vettel wins Singapore Grand Prix to extend F1 title lead

September 22, 2013 -- Updated 1845 GMT (0245 HKT)
Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel lifts the trophy under lights following his victory at the Singapore Grand Prix, F1's only night race. Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel lifts the trophy under lights following his victory at the Singapore Grand Prix, F1's only night race.
HIDE CAPTION
Vettel's Singapore success
Vettel's Singapore success
Vettel's Singapore success
Vettel's Singapore success
Vettel's Singapore success
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
>
>>
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • World champion Sebastian Vettel marches towards a fourth consecutive F1 title
  • German dominates Sunday's Singapore Grand Prix, winning for third successive year
  • Red Bull star shrugs off post-race booing he receives from spectators
  • Title hopefuls Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen finish second and third

(CNN) -- Sebastian Vettel extended his championship lead to 60 points with a commanding win at Sunday's Singapore Grand Prix, claiming victory for the third year in a row at the Marina Bay street circuit and his third successive triumph of this season.

The Red Bull star, seeking his fourth consecutive Formula One title, won for the seventh time in 2013.

However, as he was after winning at Ferrari's home track Monza, Vettel was booed on the podium following the race.

"Fortunately we keep winning so they've got a reason to boo, but it's not nice," the German said.

"As long as they keep booing, we are doing a very good job so that's the way I see it.

"The parade lap was quite nice there were a lot of people cheering. Obviously I didn't give them the most exciting race, but on days like this, I really don't mind."

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner was less happy with the reaction from some of the crowd.

"The boy drove an unbelievable race. What we have witnessed is one of the best drives I've seen him produce in terms of raw pace and what he was able to deliver," Horner said.

"So to see a driver, who has put in a performance like that and to not get the reception he deserves, is not sporting.

Niki Lauda on F1's most dangerous years
Paul di Resta's Italian ancestry
Watch adrenaline-filled tour of Spa track

"He says it doesn't affect him, that he doesn't feel it, and he does have a broad set of shoulders. But he is a human being at the end of the day, and like anyone he has feelings.

"When you've driven your heart out and you are getting that reaction, to me it's not fair and not right."

Vettel's closest title rival, Ferrari's Fernando Alonso, battled his way up from seventh on the starting grid to finish second but was 32 seconds adrift in the only night race on the calendar.

"We knew we didn't have the pace, that we had to invent something, and the first opportunity was at the start," the two-time world champion said.

"This is a fantastic podium, a second place that feels like a win. Red Bull were too fast all weekend, so we have to congratulate them for a fantastic weekend, and next we have to do better."

Kimi Raikkonen, who will join Alonso at Ferrari next year, overcame a back problem and a starting position of 13th to take the third and final podium place for Lotus.

Read: F1 driver and team standings

Vettel's teammate Mark Webber had been poised to take fourth place but suffered technical problems in the closing stages and had to retire after slipping down the field.

"We were just trying to get home at that point but then on the last lap we caught fire," he said.

The Australian was given a lift back to the pits by Alonso, for which both were told off by the stewards -- and Webber will now face a 10-place grid penalty at the next race in South Korea following his third reprimand this season.

Webber was frustrated by his car's problems, which were explained by Horner.

"We could see with 12 laps to go that we began to lose water pressure. The water then effectively ran out at which point it is only a matter of time until the engine overheats, which is what happened on the last lap -- it was cruel luck."

Mercedes' Nico Rosberg, who had briefly led after overtaking pole sitter Vettel at the start, came through to take fourth ahead of teammate Lewis Hamilton -- who remained third overall.

"The start was quite hairy, I kept the inside clear, but Nico went in too deep," Vettel said.

"I was able to get the place back, which was crucial because we had good pace, but then we had the safety car."

Toro Rosso's Daniel Ricciardo, who will replace Webber at Red Bull next year, inexplicably ran into a barrier on lap 25 -- meaning the field closed up again behind Vettel, but the German roared clear again once the safety car departed.

The advantage his speed created meant the 26-year-old was able to go to the pits and still come back out in front.

"After that again we had the pace, and the car was incredible, which doesn't happen by accident. It was a pleasure to drive it around this crazy track," Vettel said.

Read: Vettel's qualifying gamble pays off

Ferrari's Felipe Massa was sixth ahead of McLaren duo Jenson Button and Sergio Perez, with Sauber's Nico Hulkenberg and Force India's Adrian Sutil claiming the other points on offer.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the new Formula One season as it progresses, circuit by circuit, race by race.
Kimi Raikkonen has long been box office gold, even before he re-signed with Ferrari for 2014, says CNN's Sarah Holt.
September 6, 2013 -- Updated 1627 GMT (0027 HKT)
Monza may be a long way from his birthplace in West Lothian, Scotland but Italy is unquestionably a home from home for Paul di Resta.
September 3, 2013 -- Updated 0957 GMT (1757 HKT)
YEONGAM-GUN, SOUTH KOREA - OCTOBER 21: ER 21: ER 21: ER 21: Fernando Alonso of Spain and Ferrari rides the track on a mountain bike during previews to the Korean Formula One Grand Prix at the Korea International Circuit on October 21, 2010 in Yeongam-gun, South Korea. (Photo by Mark Thompson/Getty Images)
Ferrari star Fernando Alonso has decided to buy the cash-strapped Spanish Euskaltel Euskadi cycling team.
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 1514 GMT (2314 HKT)
McLaren follow founder Bruce McLaren's mantra by measuring life in "achievement not in years alone."
September 2, 2013 -- Updated 2145 GMT (0545 HKT)
Australian Daniel Ricciardo will join Sebastian Vettel at all-conquering Red Bull for the 2014 season, the F1 team confirms.
August 25, 2013 -- Updated 1624 GMT (0024 HKT)
Activists protesting against Arctic oil drilling infiltrate an F1 race in Belgium, but the off-track incident does not stop Sebastian Vettel's title march.
August 23, 2013 -- Updated 2018 GMT (0418 HKT)
Bernie Ecclestone reveals the inaugural Grand Prix of America will not take place as planned next year due to a lack of funding.
August 9, 2013 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Christina MacFarlane explores the role aerodynamics play in boosting a Formula One car's performance.
June 27, 2013 -- Updated 1557 GMT (2357 HKT)
Mark Webber has announced his intention to leave Formula One at the end of the season after signing a deal to race at Le Mans with Porsche.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1324 GMT (2124 HKT)
Can the new F1 season live up to last year's standards? Find out the need-to-know stories for 2013.
March 14, 2013 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
CNN looks ahead to the Australian Grand Prix, the first F1 race of the 2013 season.
February 28, 2013 -- Updated 1824 GMT (0224 HKT)
Adrian Sutil will be Force India's second driver for the 2013 Formula One season, pledging to make the most of his "second chance".
March 2, 2013 -- Updated 0152 GMT (0952 HKT)
Christmas Abbott, 5'3 and 115 pounds, is the first woman to join a NASCAR pit crew team.
February 12, 2013 -- Updated 0035 GMT (0835 HKT)
The first race in Melbourne is just around the corner and Formula 1 teams are gearing up for a season which promises to be as technical as it is tactical.
March 1, 2013 -- Updated 1219 GMT (2019 HKT)
When the new Formula 1 season gets underway in March, for the first time there will be a woman running a team's entire operations from track to boardroom.
January 21, 2013 -- Updated 1222 GMT (2022 HKT)
The Dakar Rally is one of the world's most dangerous motorsport races, and this year's edition has already been marred by tragic deaths.
January 31, 2013 -- Updated 1920 GMT (0320 HKT)
The famous circuit of Nurburgring is confirmed Thursday as the venue for the 2013 German Grand Prix after reaching a deal with F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone.
ADVERTISEMENT