(CNN)Here's a look at Islam. The word Islam translates as "submission" or "surrender." Surrender to the will of Allah - Arabic for God.
Islam is partially based on the Judeo-Christian religions. It has a monotheistic (belief in one God) message, and follows some of the same principles as Christianity and Judaism.
- The Shahadah - A statement of faith all Muslims recite at least one time in their lives.
- The Salat or Salah - A daily ritual prayer of faith done five times a day.
- Zakat - a tax paid to benefit the poor or those in need.
- Sawm - a fast done during the month of Ramadan.
- Hajj - a pilgrimage every Muslim must do at least once in his/her life, if he or she can afford it, to the Holy city of Mecca, in modern-day Saudi Arabia. The pilgrimage begins on the 7th or 8th day of the last month of the Islamic lunar calendar, and ends on the 12th day of that same month.
Sunni - The largest branch of Islam. They accept that the first four caliphs (leaders) are the legitimate successors to Muhammad.
Sharia is an Arabic word originally meaning "the path leading to the source of water."
According to a report by the Pew Forum on Religion & Public Life, there are 1.6 billion Muslims worldwide. (2010 est.)
570 A.D - Muhammad is born in Mecca, Arabia (now Saudi Arabia).