Skip to main content

Typhoon Haiyan: Elation as desperate mom finds lost family in debris

November 19, 2013 -- Updated 0427 GMT (1227 HKT)
Gina Ladrera (left) before she set out from Hong Kong and the family she was so desperate to find.
Gina Ladrera (left) before she set out from Hong Kong and the family she was so desperate to find.
  • Gina Ladrera flew from Hong Kong to Tacloban to find her missing family
  • She'd been unable to contact them for days after Super Typhoon Haiyan
  • Almost one week after typhoon, she found them alive amid ruins of their home
  • Her family survived by clinging to electrical wire on the roof during the storm

Hong Kong (CNN) -- As thousands of traumatized typhoon survivors struggled to escape the stricken city of Tacloban, Gina Ladrera was desperate to get back in.

It had been five days since Super Typhoon Haiyan slammed into the Philippines coast, obliterating everything in its path.

And five days since she'd last heard from her family: husband Pedro Ladrera Jr., and their two children, 10-year-old daughter Kyra and 11-year-old son Kim.

For the 39-year-old domestic worker living in Hong Kong, the silence was too much to bear. She had to go back home to find them. And miraculously, she did.

READ MORE: Mother's grief as Haiyan aid flows

Towns, cities hit by Haiyan  Towns, cities hit by Haiyan
Towns, cities hit by HaiyanTowns, cities hit by Haiyan
Tacloban relief effort continues
Philippines survivors crowd airport
Typhoon devastation beyond Tacloban

Leaving Hong Kong

CNN first spoke to Ladrera on Tuesday evening, four days after the typhoon. She was packing for the flight from Hong Kong to Cebu. From there she hoped to fly to Tacloban City, then somehow travel more than 10 miles (17 kilometers) south to her hometown of Tanauan, a city of around 50,000 people.

Ladrera's voice broke as she recalled the last time she spoke with her husband, the previous Thursday, hours before screaming winds sent a wall of water slamming into the coast.

"He told me, 'don't worry, they can manage, my two kids.' It was the last words for me: 'Don't worry, I can manage my kids.' That was the last thing he told to me," she said, bursting into tears.

The Ladreras are used to separation. Gina has been working in Hong Kong for more than two years, sending money to her 39-year-old husband, Pedro, a security guard, to help him provide for their children.

Asked to describe them, Ladrera says Kyra is "very clever," before adding in a stilted, tearful laugh, Kim is "very lazy to do his homework, he likes to play."

VIDEO: Haiyan's path of destruction

Ladrera is one of hundreds of thousands of domestic workers who leave the Philippines to earn money abroad. In the days after the storm, she feared Haiyan may have separated her family forever.

"I asked them to evacuate in another place or another house but (my husband) didn't know the typhoon was very worse. I don't know if they evacuated," she said. "I can't talk to them."

For hours after the storm hit, she tried calling her husband and daughter's mobile phones. There was no answer. By Friday afternoon, there wasn't even a signal.

Clinic in Tacloban overflowing
Typhoon Haiyan: Six days later
Gina Ladrera's daughter, Kyra Angela Ladrera, aged 10.  Gina Ladrera's daughter, Kyra Angela Ladrera, aged 10.
Gina Ladrera's daughter, Kyra Angela Ladrera, aged 10.Gina Ladrera's daughter, Kyra Angela Ladrera, aged 10.

She hadn't heard from neighbors, or anyone who knew them. Days later, the Philippine Consulate in Hong Kong had no record of their whereabouts.

With the help of her Hong Kong employers, Ladrera packed a large backpack with food, water, a tent and sleeping bag and left for a place described by survivors as "worse than hell."

Returning to Tacloban

Ladrera flew from Hong Kong to Cebu on Wednesday morning with a friend, Rita Ladenia, a fellow domestic worker from Hong Kong who was also frantic with worry about her husband and five-year-old son. Ladenia had heard her family was alive but needed to find out for sure.

Once in Cebu, the women immediately booked tickets to fly to Tacloban the following morning.

Ladrera said she was nervous, scared and worried about having her bag stolen by starving survivors desperate for rations. She wasn't sure how long she'd stay or what she'd find.

Ladrera planned to meet her friend's husband at the airport who would take her by motorbike to her family's home, where she hoped to find them safe and well. For whatever reason, that plan didn't work.

Losing contact

We had an agreement with Gina that if she gets in her place she was going to call me back. I'm also worried about her.
Rita Ladenia

After the typhoon, mobile signals were sporadic at best in Tacloban, a city splintered by the force of Haiyan, which smashed into the coast on Friday, November 8, bringing a storm surge that caught many locals by surprise.

Ladrera had a local mobile but repeated calls to the number were met with the message: "The subscriber cannot be reached. Please try again later."

Her friend Ladenia, who was reunited with her husband at the airport, sent a message to friends in Hong Kong that Ladrera had left the airport with a film crew from GMA-7, a Filipino news channel. A GMA-7 producer told CNN they had spoken to her at the airport, but said when they returned later to pick her up for the trip to her home town she was gone.

There was no sign of her on Friday, one week after the typhoon, and no way to tell her the news she'd been so desperate to hear, that her husband and children had survived the storm and were safe.

"We had an agreement with Gina that if she gets in her place she was going to call me back. I'm also worried about her. I've not heard from her," Ladenia said on Friday.

It wasn't until Saturday that word came through that Gina had made it to Tanauan and had been reunited with her family. She sent a text message to her friend -- all were safe.

READ MORE: Survivors question faith

'I'm so blessed because I found them'

They were very shocked. They didn't expect to see me. They were crying, tears of joy.
Gina Ladrera

Only later did it emerge the lengths Ladrera had gone to to get home, and her family's astonishing story of survival as the storm lashed their house, and all but flattened the entire town.

From Tacloban Airport, Ladrera begged for a ride from the Philippines military aboard a truck to Palo. From there, she rode with police to her home town of Tanauan.

Everything was gone.

But amid the debris, was her family, sheltering in a makeshift hut her husband made from what he could salvage from the remains of their house.

"They were very shocked. They didn't expect to see me. They were crying tears of joy, and then also my children, they didn't know what they're feeling. I'm so blessed because I found them," she said.

Her husband, two children and parents-in-law had survived by clinging onto electrical wiring on the rooftop for four hours until the storm passed, she said.

They were bruised and scratched by flying debris; minor injuries compared with the devastation around them.

Neighbors gave them dry clothes, and a day later someone handed them rice and water. When Ladrera arrived home, there was no food left. She gave them what she had in her backpack then set about getting them out.

They returned to Tacloban and on Sunday night caught a flight to Cebu. From there they'll fly to Manila before heading to her mother's home in Luzon.

The children are in shock, she said, and are screaming in their sleep: "They are crying no, no, no."

Ladrera plans to ensure her family is safely settled before she returns to work in Hong Kong. "I'm starting from zero," she said, aware of the time it'll take to earn the money to rebuild her family's home and lives.

"I will go back to Hong Kong, I need to. I need to work because of my family," she said.

Another separation looms ahead.

READ MORE: The body collectors of Tacloban

Part of complete coverage on
Typhoon Haiyan
November 20, 2013 -- Updated 0112 GMT (0912 HKT)
A dozen body bags line the street in Tacloban -- one of the towns hardest hit by Super Typhoon Haiyan -- as locals walk through the destruction of what used to be their homes.
November 19, 2013 -- Updated 2007 GMT (0407 HKT)
Cadaver dog teams are on the ground in the Philippines, helping to locate victims still buried in the rubble.
November 19, 2013 -- Updated 1002 GMT (1802 HKT)
CNN's Airmie Jarin-Bennett, an expat Filipino, returned to her native land after Typhoon Haiyan. Nothing prepared her for what she found there.
November 19, 2013 -- Updated 0427 GMT (1227 HKT)
As thousands of traumatized typhoon survivors struggled to escape the stricken city of Tacloban, Gina Ladrera was desperate to get back in.
November 18, 2013 -- Updated 1349 GMT (2149 HKT)
Karl Penhaul reports from the middle of the Tacloban devastation using a drone camera to get a bird's eye view.
November 18, 2013 -- Updated 1737 GMT (0137 HKT)
The USS George Washington is expected to leave the Philippines once two amphibious ships arrive there Wednesday, officials say.
November 18, 2013 -- Updated 1300 GMT (2100 HKT)
Australian Jason Day was out on the course at Royal Melbourne on Monday.
The golf community is rallying around Jason Day after it emerged the Australian lost eight members of his family during the devastation wreaked by Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines.
November 18, 2013 -- Updated 2141 GMT (0541 HKT)
The aftermath of Haiyan and the need for aid has celebrities working phones and taking donations. Max Foster reports.
November 19, 2013 -- Updated 0426 GMT (1226 HKT)
As an expression of hard power, they don't come bigger or more fearsome than the USS George Washington.
November 18, 2013 -- Updated 0821 GMT (1621 HKT)
The tiny, baby girl barely moves as she lies wrapped in a bundle of yellow plastic and green cloth on a peeling brown mattress made for a child far larger than she.
November 19, 2013 -- Updated 0204 GMT (1004 HKT)
The USS George Washington is on the front lines of the aid mission in the Philippines. CNN's Anna Coren reports.
November 18, 2013 -- Updated 0612 GMT (1412 HKT)
The day after the typhoon, Father Edwin Bacaltos stepped out of the compound of the Church of Our Mother of Perpetual Help in central Tacloban and began his work.
November 15, 2013 -- Updated 0533 GMT (1333 HKT)
Explore stories from typhoon survivors, relief workers, and officials from eight regions across the Philippines.
November 17, 2013 -- Updated 2347 GMT (0747 HKT)
A distraught mother who lost her young sons in the tidal surge of Super Typhoon Haiyan feels her life is over.
November 17, 2013 -- Updated 1945 GMT (0345 HKT)
This video shows how strong the storm surge was during Super Typhoon Haiyan.
November 17, 2013 -- Updated 1402 GMT (2202 HKT)
CNN's Anna Coren reports from Tacloban's airport as Typhoon Haiyan survivors wait to evacuate.
November 15, 2013 -- Updated 1421 GMT (2221 HKT)
The Philippine govt. is defending its efforts against accusations people there are not getting desperately needed help.
November 22, 2013 -- Updated 1921 GMT (0321 HKT)
How charities and nongovernmental organizations from around the world are responding to the disaster, and how you can help them make a difference.
November 27, 2013 -- Updated 2354 GMT (0754 HKT)
The storm affected 4.3 million people in 36 provinces and displaced more than 340,000.
November 27, 2013 -- Updated 2333 GMT (0733 HKT)
Typhoon Haiyan, one of the strongest storms in recorded history, left thousands of victims in its wake.
November 27, 2013 -- Updated 2324 GMT (0724 HKT)
Troops and aid organizations help Filipinos struggling to survive the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan, one of the strongest storms in recorded history.
November 11, 2013 -- Updated 2359 GMT (0759 HKT)
CNN reporters capture sounds and images of Typhoon Haiyan's devastating trek through Tacloban, Philippines.
November 11, 2013 -- Updated 1240 GMT (2040 HKT)
'I was gob-smacked as we made our final approach into the ruins of the airport in Tacloban,' says CNN's Ivan Watson.
December 7, 2013 -- Updated 1458 GMT (2258 HKT)
Flattened forests and flooded villages in the Philippines seen from the air.