Adrian Sutil switches to Sauber for 2014 F1 campaign
December 13, 2013 -- Updated 1731 GMT (0131 HKT)
Germany's Adrian Sutil will join forces with Sauber for 2014 after six seasons with the Force India set up.
- Adrian Sutil signed by Sauber for 2014 season
- Germany's Sutil has spent his F1 career with Force India
- Finished 13th in last season's driver standings
- Second Sauber driver still to be named
(CNN) -- Germany's Adrian Sutil has landed a drive with Sauber for the 2014 season, the Swiss Formula One team announced Friday.
The 30-year-old Sutil has spent his previous six seasons in F1 with the Force India team, who had already confirmed Nico Hulkenberg and Sergio Perez as their drivers for the 2014 campaign.
Sutil effectively swaps teams with highly-rated compatriot Hulkenberg, who achieved Sauber's best finish of 2013, a fourth place in the Korean Grand Prix.
Sauber will look to build on that strong run at the end of last season and team principal Monisha Kaltenborn said they had been hoping to sign Sutil for some time.
Remembering Maria de Villota
How do drivers get to F1?
Paul di Resta's Italian ancestry
Read: Hulkenberg returns to Force India
"We have been wanting to work together with him for a while," she told the team's official website.
"Adrian is not only very fast, but also brings a lot of experience, which is very important looking at the new regulations for next year," she added.
Sutil, who has made 109 career starts in F1, said he was delighted to finally seal a deal.
"In the end the negotiations took a bit longer than planned," he said.
"After six good years driving for Force India, with a lot of highlights, it's now time to embark on a new challenge," he added.
Sutil made his debut in F1 in 2007 for the Spyker team, which was sold to the Force India syndicate a year later.
He made the headlines for the wrong reasons in January 2012, when convicted by a German court on an assault charge after being involved in a nightclub incident in Shanghai following the 2011 Chinese Grand Prix.
Read: Sutil seeks F1 return after guilty verdict
The ramifications from the incident meant Sutil missed the 2012 season, being replaced at Force India by Hulkenberg, who had been the reserve driver at Force India.
Sutil regained his seat for 2013 and finished a fine seventh in his comeback race in Australia.
Sauber has not named a second driver for the upcoming campaign although young Mexican Esteban Gutierrez may be retained.
The driver switches have left Scotland's Paul di Resta, who was at Force India last season, without a confirmed drive for 2014.
Part of complete coverage on
Track the buzz of the 2014 Formula One season, race by race, with all the latest social reaction from motorsport experts.
September 19, 2014 -- Updated 1358 GMT (2158 HKT)
Take the fittest driver in Formula One and test him against two of the world's leading triathletes in a high-performance laboratory.
September 5, 2014 -- Updated 1604 GMT (0004 HKT)
Mercedes has the fastest two cars in Formula One this season but there is just one problem -- there can only be one world champion.
He's the best of the rest -- Daniel Ricciardo has been Formula One's surprise package in the first half of the 2014 season.
July 24, 2014 -- Updated 1135 GMT (1935 HKT)
Formula One is not likely to go hungry in Hungary as master chefs cater in volume for drivers, teams and VIP guests.
July 3, 2014 -- Updated 1443 GMT (2243 HKT)
It's the elephant in the room of Formula One. What's the prognosis legendary driver Michael Schumacher?
May 23, 2014 -- Updated 2310 GMT (0710 HKT)
It stimulates all five senses, creating an unparalleled experience for drivers and fans alike. Take a tour of Monaco with Mark Webber.
May 22, 2014 -- Updated 1233 GMT (2033 HKT)
To be a champion you must win a title -- but to become an F1 legend you must win races at Monaco, the calendar's most testing circuit.
May 5, 2014 -- Updated 1238 GMT (2038 HKT)
The Formula One driver transcended his sport and even 20 years after his death, Ayrton Senna commands the adoration of fans worldwide.
May 1, 2014 -- Updated 1500 GMT (2300 HKT)
F1's greatest racer was killed during the San Marino Grand Prix on May 1 1994. The sport hasn't been the same since.
Today's five most popular stories