- The U.S. State Department says an American was stopped by authorities in Benghazi
- The identity of the American has not been released
The U.S. State Department has been in contact with an American who was stopped by Libyan authorities in Benghazi, an official said Thursday, the same day a report surfaced that two U.S. citizens had been detained.
The comment by State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf follows a state-run LANA news agency report that two Americans had been detained by Libyan authorities.
The report, citing unnamed security sources, alleges the two were found scouting at the University of Benghazi.
They claimed to be athletes from a Benghazi sports team, state media reported.
"The State Department has been in contact with a private U.S. citizen who was stopped by Libyan authorities in Benghazi," State Department spokeswoman Marie Harf said. "Due to privacy considerations, we are unable to comment further."