FIFA: Human rights records to get 'greater status' in future World Cup bids

FIFA senior official Theo Zwanziger gave evidence to a committee of the European Parliament about the situation in Qatar.

Story highlights

  • FIFA: Human rights situation in Qatar 'appalling'
  • World Cup 2022 can improve the situation world governing body claims
  • Human rights to be given greater prominence in future choice of hosts
  • Qatar organizers announced 'Workers' Charter' earlier this week

FIFA will give greater prominence to the human rights record of countries bidding to host future World Cups, a senior official told the European Parliament Thursday.

Theo Zwanziger, an executive committee member of football's world governing body, was giving evidence on the welfare conditions of migrant workers involved in construction projects for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

"The Qatar authorities realize they cannot continue with business as usual," he told the human rights panel of the parliament in Brussels.

"The country needs to think in general about the welfare of workers," he said.

"Everyone should do something to improve the appalling situation, not just FIFA," he added.

The impact of changing World Cup dates
LUSAIL CITY, QATAR: In this handout illustration provided by Qatar 2022, the Qatar 2022 Bid Committee today unveiled detailed plans for the iconic Lusail Stadium. With a capacity in excess of 86,000 and surrounded by water, the stadium would host the World Cup Opening Match and Final if Qatar wins the rights to stage the 2022 FIFA World Cup. If Qatar is awarded the honour of staging the 2022 FIFA World Cup, construction of the Lusail Stadium will start in 2015 and be completed in 2019. It will retain its full capacity after 2022.

    JUST WATCHED

    The impact of changing World Cup dates

MUST WATCH

The impact of changing World Cup dates 04:22
PLAY VIDEO
Belounis backs Qatar as World Cup hosts
Belounis backs Qatar as World Cup hosts

    JUST WATCHED

    Belounis backs Qatar as World Cup hosts

MUST WATCH

Belounis backs Qatar as World Cup hosts 03:02
PLAY VIDEO
Qatar accused of exploiting workers
Qatar accused of exploiting workers

    JUST WATCHED

    Qatar accused of exploiting workers

MUST WATCH

Qatar accused of exploiting workers 04:00
PLAY VIDEO
Qatar's World Cup conundrum
Qatar's World Cup conundrum

    JUST WATCHED

    Qatar's World Cup conundrum

MUST WATCH

Qatar's World Cup conundrum 04:02
PLAY VIDEO

Read: Qatar organizers unveil charter to protect workers

On Tuesday, World Cup organizers in Dubai, who had been set a deadline by FIFA, unveiled an updated 'workers' charter' -- which pledged to address concerns over wages and accommodation for overseas workers and pledged regular inspections of construction sites.

Critics claimed it did not go far enough, but FIFA told CNN Thursday that it was an important first step.

"We welcome the concrete steps taken which were announced by the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy to ensure the welfare of workers for the 2022 FIFA World Cup," said a spokesperson.

"FIFA is pleased with the commitment of the local organizers to use the hosting of the FIFA World Cup to accelerate adequate uniform working standards in Qatar," it added.

In his evidence to the parliament, Zwanziger also acknowledged that with the global spotlight falling on the Gulf state there was "a risk and a chance... it can help improve the human rights situation."

Read: FIFA set Qatar deadline over migrant workers

But Zwanziger conceded that when the decision was made to award Qatar the 2022 competition its record on human rights had not sufficiently been taken into account.

"We need to rethink this and give human rights a much higher status," he said.

Other speakers addressing the parliament highlighted Qatar's kafala system -- which allows employers to withhold pay and prevent overseas workers from leaving the country by withholding their passport.

Sharan Burrow, head of the International Trade Union Confederation wanted kafala to be ended immediately.

"Qatar is a slave state for 1.4 million migrant workers," she said.

"Workers live in squalor, and are forced to work under extreme conditions, in extraordinary heat; they don't have enough drinking water. They don't have a normal weekend, are kept apart from other workers, and there's no proper health care."

Read: Stranded footballer back in France after Qatar 'nightmare'

Zahir Belounis, the French-Algerian footballer, who was unable to leave Qatar for several months last year after a contractual wrangle with his club, also gave an emotional testimony before the parliament about his experiences.

Last November, European MEPs passed a resolution which called on the "Qatari authorities to stop detaining individuals for 'running away' from their employers," and demanded "working conditions that are in line with international human rights standards."

It followed a hard-hitting report from Amnesty International on conditions for migrant construction workers, who are involved in the estimated $200B infrastructure projects associated with the World Cup.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter responded to the report by saying the situation was "unacceptable" before giving Zwanziger responsibility for heading up an investigation.

Read: Blatter: Qatar conditions 'unacceptable'

        Football Focus

      • French football great bids adieu

        After 20 years, more than 300 goals and a host of major honors, Thierry Henry has called time on his glittering football career.
      • Mario's 'Queen' tweet tops 2014 list

        He might be struggling to score goals for Liverpool, but Mario Balotelli's cheeky tweet about the British monarch hit the spot during the World Cup.
      • bpr south african soccor senzo meyiwa death _00000402.jpg

        Loss of a South African 'icon'

        Football world mourns South African captain Senzo Meyiwa who was shot and killed during a botched robbery in a township near Johannesburg.
      • German alleged jihadist Kreshnik B (R) listens to his lawyer Mutlu Guenal (L) as he arrives at the higher regional court in Frankfurt. His face is pixelated for legal reasons.

        From Jewish football to ISIS suspect

        Once part of Germany's largest Jewish sports club, now he's the first ISIS suspect to stand trial in a country left shocked by his alleged radicalization.
      • Where has 'Super' Mario gone?

        One goal in eight matches for new club Liverpool, and dumped by the Italian national team -- Mario Balotelli has yet to shine on his English return.
      • Ched Evans smiles during the Wales training session ahead of their UEFA EURO 2012 qualifier against England on March 25, 2011 in Cardiff, Wales.

        Should rapist return to work?

        Should a convicted rapist, who has served their time in prison, be allowed to resume their old job? What if that job was as a high-profile football player?
      • Teen, 15, makes Euro history

        Norwegian 15-year-old Martin Odegaard is the youngest player ever to feature in a European Championships qualifying match.