Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: Days pass, no word of loved ones

Wife of passenger: 'He's my best friend'
Wife of passenger: 'He's my best friend'

    JUST WATCHED

    Wife of passenger: 'He's my best friend'

MUST WATCH

Wife of passenger: 'He's my best friend' 03:08

Story highlights

  • Relatives of MH370 passengers are anxious to hear news of loved ones
  • Martial arts star Ju Kun was among those on board the flight
  • Tributes and messages of support are being shared online
  • Communities hold vigils to pray for the missing

New Zealanders Danica and Paul Weeks are no strangers to disaster. The couple's eldest son, Lincoln, was born in the midst of an earthquake in Christchurch in 2010. Just over three years later, in December 2013, they were in a car accident after moving to Australia.

So when Paul left for a mining job in Mongolia earlier this month, the couple took precautions, Danica says. Paul couldn't wear his wedding ring on the mine site so he left it, and his watch, at home with instructions to pass them on to his two sons, "should anything happen" to him.

On his way to Mongolia, Paul traveled on Malaysia Airlines Flight 370.

As she speaks to CNN's Piers Morgan on Thursday, Danica grips her husband's wedding ring while fighting back tears. It's been five days since MH370 vanished, but with little information about the plane's whereabouts the wait feels like an eternity.

The passengers of flight 370
The passengers of flight 370

    JUST WATCHED

    The passengers of flight 370

MUST WATCH

The passengers of flight 370 02:28
PLAY VIDEO
Remembering victims amid flight confusion
Remembering victims amid flight confusion

    JUST WATCHED

    Remembering victims amid flight confusion

MUST WATCH

Remembering victims amid flight confusion 02:02
PLAY VIDEO

"That's the toughest part every day -- waking up and looking on the news and seeing that there's nothing; and there are no calls from Malaysia to say 'we've found something,'" Weeks says.

"He was the most amazing husband and the most amazing father. He spent so much time with his kids," she says.

Approximately 5,000 miles away, at a hotel near the Beijing Capital International Airport, Hu Xianquan waits anxiously for news of her husband, Mao Tugui. The couple last spoke on March 2 when Mao, a painter, was about to board a flight to Malaysia to attend an exhibition of his work.

For Hu, like many families of those on board Flight 370, grief is quickly turning to frustration. There has been no word of her husband for days and confusing reports about the search and rescue mission are only making the wait more agonizing.

"No one really updates us," she says.

Questions and answers

While many Chinese relatives of passengers on board Flight 370 began traveling to Kuala Lumpur on Tuesday, Hu and her daughter decided to stay in Beijing, concerned that the language barrier would only make it more difficult to understand what was happening.

Malaysia Airlines offered to transfer Chinese and Indian relatives of missing passengers to Kuala Lumpur for "better care and comfort," but some have declined.

"I don't see the point in going to Kuala Lumpur and seeing the same information," K. S. Narendran tells CNN from India. His wife Chandrika Sharma was on the flight. "It's better to stay in Chennai where I'm surrounded by family and friends."

Missing 370 passenger Huang Yi and her 5-year-old daughter

Sharma, the executive secretary of the International Collective in Support of Fishworkers, had been on her way to Mongolia for a conference of the UN's Food and Agriculture Organization. Her husband says he's received little direct assistance or information from authorities about the search operation and relies on press conferences and news reports, but "that has thus far amounted to nothing."

See more of our coverage on missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

Malaysia's Prime Minister Najib Razak has appealed to relatives to be patient. "The families involved have to understand that this is something unexpected. The families must understand more efforts have been made with all our capabilities," he said Wednesday.

More than half the passengers on board Flight 370 were Chinese. Martial arts expert and stunt man Ju Kun was among them. The 35-year-old, whose film credits include "The Grandmaster" and "The Forbidden Kingdom," was set to begin filming a new Netflix series "Marco Polo" in the coming weeks.

Netflix and its production partner The Weinstein Company said in a statement that they were deeply saddened by the news.

"Ju Kun, who was on board, was an integral part of our production team and a tremendous talent. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this difficult time," the statement said.

Chinese actress Zhang Ziyi posted a tribute to Ju on her Weibo account: "He is a sincere, kind and hardworking man."

Like many of those on board Flight 370, Ju's social media account has been flooded with comments from strangers, many praying for his safe return.

Around the world, communities have gathered to pray for the missing and offer comfort to their loved ones. On Monday, Malaysians sang songs and lit paper lanterns at a candlelight vigil in Kuala Lumpur.

Crowdsourcing the search

In nearby Petaling Jaya, members of the St. Francis Xavier Church have been holding special prayer sessions for Patrick Francis Gomes, an in-flight supervisor who was on board the flight.

"It's still difficult for us to come to terms with what has happen. I can only say that my father is a quiet person but also can be a joker," his daughter Nikki Gomes told CNN.

Families' agonizing wait for news
Families' agonizing wait for news

    JUST WATCHED

    Families' agonizing wait for news

MUST WATCH

Families' agonizing wait for news 01:26
PLAY VIDEO
Malaysia Airlines' new 'family zone'
Malaysia Airlines' new 'family zone'

    JUST WATCHED

    Malaysia Airlines' new 'family zone'

MUST WATCH

Malaysia Airlines' new 'family zone' 02:43
PLAY VIDEO
 Flight 370 victim family holds out hope
 Flight 370 victim family holds out hope

    JUST WATCHED

    Flight 370 victim family holds out hope

MUST WATCH

Flight 370 victim family holds out hope 05:05
PLAY VIDEO

"He is very dedicated to his job and took his responsibilities very seriously as all crew members would."

Malaysia Airlines will retire flight codes MH370 and MH371 as a mark of respect to the passengers and crew, the company said in a statement Thursday.

Many have turned to digital platforms to offer comforting words, and tribute sites have been created for the flight's captain and crew.

A Facebook profile thought to be that of Pouria Nour Mohammadi, an 18-year-old Iranian who used a stolen passport to board the plane, has scores of messages of support from strangers.

"I don't know you but I pray that you are safe somewhere in this world," writes one user. "May you and the other passengers and crew on Malaysian flight 370, be found safe and may your journey continue to find yourself safe in your mothers [sic] arms again."

Back in China, Huang Lu, a teacher at an elementary school in Guizhou province, waits for word of her friend, Huang Yi. The 30-year-old works for the technology firm Freescale in the company's Tianjin office. She was on the plane with 19 other colleagues when it disappeared.

The women have been friends since they were teenagers. "She's kind, lively and a good person to talk with," Huang Lu said.

The pair kept in touch online. Yi, who has a five-year old daughter named Yuanyuan, would often talk to Huang Lu about family and raising children.

"I've been waiting, worried since I heard the news. I hope to see a miracle. Yi, please come back, Yuanyuan needs you," she said.

READ: Officials dispute report that Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 kept flying for hours

INTERACTIVE: What happened to Malaysia Airlines Flight 370?

READ: Transponder's fate may prove key to solving Malaysia Airlines puzzle

READ: Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: Days pass, no word of loved ones

      Malaysia Airlines Flight 370

    • nr intv moni basu husbands quiet suffering flight 370_00020822.jpg

      An empty space on earth

      His wife never came home from her flight on MH370, and now K.S. Narendran is left to imagine the worst of possible truths without knowing.
    • This handout photo taken on April 7, 2014 and released on April 9, 2014 by Australian Defence shows Maritime Warfare Officer, Sub Lieutenant Ryan Penrose watching HMAS Success as HMAS Perth approaches for a replenishment at sea while searching for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in the southern Indian Ocean. Two fresh signals have been picked up Australian ship Ocean Shield in the search for missing Malaysian flight MH370, raising hopes that wreckage will be found within days even as black box batteries start to expire.

      Is this the sound of the crash?

      Was the sound of Malaysian Airlines Flight MH370 striking the water captured by ocean devices used to listen for signs of nuclear blasts?
    •  A crew member of a Royal New Zealand Airforce (RNZAF) P-3K2-Orion aircraft helps to look for objects during the search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 in flight over the Indian Ocean on April 13, 2014 off the coast of Perth, Australia. S

      Search back to square one

      What was believed to be the best hope of finding the missing plane is now being called a false hope. Rene Marsh explains.
    • Caption:A Chinese relative of passengers on the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 uses a lighter as she prays at the Metro Park Hotel in Beijing on April 8, 2014. The hunt for physical evidence that the Malaysia Airlines jet crashed in the Indian Ocean more than three weeks ago has turned up nothing, despite a massive operation involving seven countries and repeated sightings of suspected debris. AFP PHOTO/WANG ZHAO (Photo credit should read WANG ZHAO/AFP/Getty Images)

      Bring in the lawyers

      Involved parties, including the manufacturer Boeing, are bracing for a long public relations siege.
    • The painstaking search for Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 got a vote of confidence Friday that the effort is headed in the right direction, but officials noted that much work remains.
Credit: 	CNN

      Pings likely not from Flight 370

      Official: The four acoustic pings at the center of the search for Flight 370 are no longer believed to have come from the plane's black boxes.
    • INDIAN OCEAN (April 14, 2014) -- Operators aboard ADF Ocean Shield move U.S. Navy's Bluefin-21 into position for deployment, April 14. Using side scan sonar, the Bluefin will descend to a depth of between 4,000 and 4,500 meters, approximately 35 meters above the ocean floor. It will spend up to 16 hours at this depth collecting data, before potentially moving to other likely search areas. Joint Task Force 658 is currently supporting Operation Southern Indian Ocean, searching for the missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370. (U.S. Navy video by Mass Communication Specialist 1st Class Peter D. Blair/RELEASED)

      Underwater search on hold

      The underwater search for the missing Malaysia Airlines plane will effectively be put on hold this week, and may not resume until August at the earliest.
    • Movie-makers say they have recruited leading Hollywood technicians to bring their experience to mid-air flight sequences.

      An MH370 movie already?

      Movie-makers in Cannes have announced they're making a thriller based on the disappearance of Malaysian flight MH370.
    • The story of the search

      The search for the missing Boeing 777 has gone on for eight weeks now. CNN's David Molko looks back at this difficult, emotional assignment.