Chat with us in Facebook Messenger. Find out what's happening in the world as it unfolds.

    Tiger Woods a doubt for the U.S. Masters?

    Tiger Woods will not play at this week's Arnold Palmer Invitational.

    Story highlights

    • Tiger Woods could miss the U.S. Masters
    • Woods has withdrawn from the Arnold Palmer Invitational
    • Back problems have been troubling 38-year-old
    • Says it is too early to make decision about Augusta
    Tiger Woods has raised fears he may be forced to miss the U.S. Masters at Augusta after withdrawing from the Arnold Palmer Invitational.
    Woods announced Tuesday that he will not play at the event because of a persistent back problem which has troubled him since last year.
    The 14-time major winner has struggled over the past month and failed to finish the Honda Classic at Palm Beach Gardens where he quit after 13 holes of his final round.
    Woods, 38, tweaked his back at the WGC-Cadillac Championship in Miami a week later and is facing a race against time to be ready for the U.S. Masters, which starts on April 10.
    Patrick Reed becomes youngest WGC winner
    Patrick Reed becomes youngest WGC winner

      JUST WATCHED

      Patrick Reed becomes youngest WGC winner

    MUST WATCH

    Patrick Reed becomes youngest WGC winner 03:10
    Golf mythbusters: Spinning with the wedge
    Golf mythbusters: Spinning with the wedge

      JUST WATCHED

      Golf mythbusters: Spinning with the wedge

    MUST WATCH

    Golf mythbusters: Spinning with the wedge 02:22
    See amazing trick golf shot
    See amazing trick golf shot

      JUST WATCHED

      See amazing trick golf shot

    MUST WATCH

    See amazing trick golf shot 00:49
    "It's too early to know about the Masters, and I will continue to be evaluated and work closely with my doctors," said Woods, who has won at Augusta on four occasions.
    "I feel badly that I won't be able to play in this great tournament this week."
    Woods has won the Arnold Palmer invitational eight times, including the past two tournaments.
    In a statement on his website, Woods revealed he telephoned Palmer directly to tell him he would be unable to defend his title in Orlando.
    "I personally called Arnold today to tell him that, sadly, I won't be able to play in his tournament this year," Woods said.
    "I would like to express my regrets to the Orlando fans, the volunteers, the tournament staff and the sponsors for having to miss the event.
    "Unfortunately, my back spasms and the pain haven't subsided."