TripAdvisor picks: World's best beaches
March 18, 2014 -- Updated 0941 GMT (1741 HKT)
Baia do Sancho in remote Fernando de Noronha, Brazil, takes the top spot in TripAdvisor's 2014 Travelers' Choice best beaches list. Located on a volcanic archipelago, the beach jumped to the top spot from No. 4 last year.
1. Baia do Sancho, Brazil
2. Grace Bay, Providenciales
3. Flamenco Beach, Culebra, Puerto Rico
4. Rabbit Beach, Lampedusa, Italy
5. Whitehaven Beach, Australia
6. Playa de ses Illetes, Formentera, Spain
7. Anse Lazio, Praslin Island, Seychelles
8. Lanikai Beach, Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii
9. Rhossili Bay, Swansea, Wales
10. Playa Norte, Isla Mujeres, Mexico
- TripAdvisor announces its second annual best beaches awards
- A remote Brazilian beach ranks No. 1
- Rankings are based on TripAdvisor user reviews over 12 months
(CNN) -- Flip-flop weather must be right around the corner. While nearly any sun-soaked stretch of sand sounds perfect just now, some beaches clearly take the sand and surf prerequisites to a higher level.
The pinnacle for beach-goers? Baia do Sancho in Fernando de Noronha, a volcanic archipelago off the coast of Brazil.
This pristine Brazilian beach takes top honors on TripAdvisor's Travelers' Choice best beaches list, released Tuesday.
The beach rankings, in their second year, are determined by analyzing the quality and quantity of a year's worth of TripAdvisor user reviews of beaches across the globe. Baia do Sancho moved up from a No. 4 ranking last year.
Click through the gallery above to see the top 10 beaches around the world.
Overall, the best beaches awards include 322 beaches and lists of the most highly ranked beaches for Africa, Asia, the Caribbean, Europe, South America, the South Pacific and the United States.
Here's how TripAdvisor ranks U.S. beaches:
1. Lanikai Beach, Kailua, Oahu, Hawaii
2. Ka'anapali Beach, Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii
3. Siesta Key Public Beach, Siesta Key, Florida
4. Hanalei Beach, Hanalei, Kauai, Hawaii
5. Wai'anapanapa State Park, Hana, Maui, Hawaii
6. Wailea Beach, Wailea, Maui, Hawaii
7. Hunting Island State Park, Beaufort, South Carolina
8. Manini'owali Beach (Kua Bay), Kailua-Kona, Island of Hawaii, Hawaii
9. Saint Pete Beach, Saint Pete Beach, Florida
10. Hanauma Bay Nature Preserve, Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii
MORE: 11 best ways to experience Hawaii
MORE: 29 beach photos that will make you drool
MORE: World's 100 best beaches
Part of complete coverage on
You don't have to be an adrenaline junkie to take a dare.
April 23, 2014 -- Updated 1723 GMT (0123 HKT)
Fireworks are fantastic and human endeavor has its place, but sometimes Mother Nature outshines any performance we can produce.
February 22, 2014 -- Updated 1909 GMT (0309 HKT)
They're almost unbelievable. Impossible blues, electric greens, depths as clear as glass -- all bathed in blinding sunshine.
July 28, 2014 -- Updated 1521 GMT (2321 HKT)
Each day, CNN producers select a user-submitted photo to be our Travel Photo of the Day. Click through the gallery above to see stunning shots from around the world, and be sure to come back every day for a new image.
February 12, 2014 -- Updated 1653 GMT (0053 HKT)
Are abandoned buildings urban blight or historic relics? Photographers love them, in either case.
March 14, 2014 -- Updated 1600 GMT (0000 HKT)
The lush Emerald Isle is easy on the eyes.
January 17, 2014 -- Updated 2225 GMT (0625 HKT)
Earth never stops surprising us. Every corner of the planet offers some sort of natural peculiarity.
For 24 hours, we made the world's busiest airport our destination and found a world unto its own. Join us on our journey. What you see will surprise you.
August 13, 2013 -- Updated 1934 GMT (0334 HKT)
Beaches along the coasts of the United States call to shoreline explorers year-round.
July 28, 2012 -- Updated 0101 GMT (0901 HKT)
When five teenagers sat down and posed for a picture at Copco Lake in 1982, they didn't plan on making it a tradition. But that's what it became.
Today's five most popular stories