Skip to main content

Barcelona hit with transfer ban by FIFA

April 2, 2014 -- Updated 2206 GMT (0606 HKT)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Barcelona has been banned from signing players for the next two transfer windows
  • FIFA has punished Barca for breaking rules relating to the "international transfer of minors"
  • Barca had been found to have broken the rules with regards to 10 young players
  • Football's global governing body has also fined the Spanish Football Federation

Follow us at @WorldSportCNN and like us on Facebook

(CNN) -- It's a club that has built its reputation on developing some of the world's best players, but leading European club Barcelona has been hit by a transfer ban imposed by FIFA after breaking the world governing body's rules relating to the "international transfer of minors."

Barca's youth players are drawn not just from Catalonia and Spain, but also from around the globe and trying to recruit the world's best is a competitive business -- Argentine Lionel Messi joined Barca at the age of 11.

If you get the development of young players right it can be a hugely lucrative business. In June Barcelona said of the 25 players in its first team, 17 came its youth academy -- the highest percentage of recent years.

Unless it manages to successfully appeal the FIFA ban, Barca will be prevented from signing players -- both youth and senior players -- in the next two transfer windows.

FIFA banned Barcelona in April from making new signings during the next two transfer windows. The punishment came after FIFA found Barca had broken rules regarding the "international transfer of minors." FIFA banned Barcelona in April from making new signings during the next two transfer windows. The punishment came after FIFA found Barca had broken rules regarding the "international transfer of minors."
Barca's ban
HIDE CAPTION
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
>
>>
Barcelona\'s transfer ban Barcelona's transfer ban
Real Madrid and Barcelona line up ahead of "El Clasico", one of the most fiercely-contested matches in world football. Real Madrid and Barcelona line up ahead of "El Clasico", one of the most fiercely-contested matches in world football.
El Clasico
HIDE CAPTION
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
>
>>
Real Madrid 3-4 Barcelona Real Madrid 3-4 Barcelona
Capello backs Brazil to win the World Cup
Sturridge's World Cup dream

That could have severe consequences for the Spanish champions.

Transfer windows are important for all clubs as they allow them to refresh their squads.

That's important not just for maintaining on-field competitiveness but also for marketing purposes, such as selling shirts. Last summer, for example, Barca invested nearly $120 million on just one player -- Brazilian international Neymar.

Later Wednesday on its website, Barcelona said it would appeal the ruling, citing 14 reasons, and take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sport if necessary.

"FCB will also demand the relevant interim measures needed to preserve the Club's rights, amongst which are those allowing it to sign players in transfer windows," it said in a statement.

Read: Nouveau riche vs. nouveau riche

The FIFA ruling comes after an investigation found the Spanish champions had broken regulations regarding the transfer of young players from outside Spain.

FIFA's investigation focused on several players aged under 18 who were registered and played for the club between 2009 and 2013.

Under FIFA laws, clubs are not allowed to sign international players under the age of 18 unless the player is moving within the European Union, is aged between 16 and 18 and moving with their parents or the club and the player both live within 50 kilometers of a shared national border.

"The Disciplinary Committee regarded the infringements as serious and decided to sanction the club with a transfer ban at both national and international level for two complete and consecutive transfer periods, together with a fine of CHF 450,000 ($508,000)," read a FIFA statement.

"Additionally, the club was granted a period of 90 days in which to regularize the situation of all minor players concerned.

"The investigations concerned several minor players who were registered and participated in competitions with the club over various periods between 2009 and 2013."

The Spanish Football Federation has also been hit with a CHF 500,000 ($565,000) fine by FIFA. The Spanish Federation was not immediately available for comment.

The ban on Barcelona means the club will be unable to buy players during the "summer" transfer window which runs between June and August, and the January 2015 window.

"In this respect, the Disciplinary Committee emphasized that the protection of minors in the context of international transfers is an important social and legal issue that concerns all stakeholders in football," continued the statement.

"The Disciplinary Committee underlined that FIFA takes the protection of minors in football very seriously."

It is unclear whether the ban will affect transfers Barca have in the pipeline.

German goalkeeper Andre Ter Stegen has reportedly been linked with a move to Barca from Borussia Monchengladbach this summer, while highly-rated 17-year-old Alen Halilovic is set to arrive at the Camp Nou from Dinamo Zagreb.

This is not the first negative story that has threatened to derail Barca's season.

President Sandro Rosell resigned in January after a judge ordered a hearing to investigate the misappropriation of funds during the signing of Brazil star Neymar in 2013.

Neymar was on the scoresheet as Barca drew 1-1 with Atletico Madrid in Tuesday's European Champions League quarterfinal first leg.

Pictures: 34 amazing sport photos

Read: Brazil tackles child prostitution

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
The U.S. government recognizes Kosovo, as do most European states, but getting football's ruling bodies to play ball has proved harder.
June 4, 2014 -- Updated 1504 GMT (2304 HKT)
National heroes don't always belong to one country. Ask France's World Cup hero Patrick Vieira, who is rediscovering his roots.
CNN's John Sinnott on the quiet Cambridge graduate behind Liverpool's resurgent campaign.
May 30, 2014 -- Updated 1519 GMT (2319 HKT)
They are the dispossessed -- stateless, and unrecognized by football's ruling body. But these teams will still play at their own World Cup.
Louis van Gaal will be a perfect fit for Manchester United the club, business and brand, says CNN's Patrick Snell.
May 19, 2014 -- Updated 1924 GMT (0324 HKT)
There's a new force in Spanish football -- and Atletico Madrid's ascendance is sharply contrasted by the fall from power of Barcelona.
May 13, 2014 -- Updated 1206 GMT (2006 HKT)
Rubber bullets, drones and FBI-trained riot police. Welcome to Brazil's 2014 World Cup -- will protests overshadow football's showpiece event?
May 9, 2014 -- Updated 1318 GMT (2118 HKT)
The former England international, who famously kicked a banana off the pitch 27 years ago, says education is the key to tackling racism.
May 7, 2014 -- Updated 1200 GMT (2000 HKT)
Of course not. But former Fulham owner Mohamed Al Fayed seems to think the removal of Michael Jackson's statue was a very "bad" idea.
May 7, 2014 -- Updated 1603 GMT (0003 HKT)
BARCELONA, SPAIN - APRIL 01: Neymar of Barcelona celebrates his goal during the UEFA Champions League Quarter Final first leg match between FC Barcelona and Club Atletico de Madrid at Camp Nou on April 1, 2014 in Barcelona, Spain. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images)
The Brazilian star's first season in Spain may have spluttered along, but the 22-year-old says he'll be firing on all cylinders at the World Cup.
April 30, 2014 -- Updated 1715 GMT (0115 HKT)
Former Soviet footballer Sergei Baltacha traveled from the land of the hammer and sickle to join The Tractor Boys and in doing so broke new ground.
April 29, 2014 -- Updated 0931 GMT (1731 HKT)
Brazil's Dani Alves arrived at Barcelona from Sevilla in 2008 and he has gone on to make over 180 appearances for the club.
Villarreal football supporter who threw a banana at Barcelona's Dani Alves during league match handed a life ban by the La Liga club.
ADVERTISEMENT