Skip to main content

Handcuffed captain defends delay in evacuating sinking South Korean ferry

By Chelsea J. Carter, Stella Kim and Paula Hancocks, CNN
April 19, 2014 -- Updated 0216 GMT (1016 HKT)
  • NEW: The coast guard says 40 dives are planned for Saturday
  • Divers have found three bodies on the third deck, the coast guard says
  • Capt. Lee Joon Seok has been charged in connection with the ferry's sinking
  • Lee says he left the helm briefly "to tend to something'' in his cabin

Are you there and safe? Show us what's happening.

Jindo, South Korea (CNN) -- A South Korean captain, standing in handcuffs before reporters, defended his order to delay the evacuation of his sinking ferry, CNN affiliate YTN reported early Saturday.

The news of Lee Joon Seok's arrest in connection with the sinking that left at least 29 people dead and more than 270 missing came as divers made their way to the third deck inside the wreckage where they found three bodies, according to the South Korean coast guard.

The divers weren't able to recover the three bodies from a compartment, the coast guard said. Another 40 dives are planned for Saturday in an attempt to get inside the ferry, the coast guards' Koh Myung Seok told reporters.

Lee has been charged with abandoning his boat, negligence, causing bodily injury, not seeking rescue from other ships, and violating "seamen's law," state media reported, citing prosecutors and police

The charges against Lee appear to shed some light on what authorities have focused on in their efforts to find out what happened to the ferry making its way Wednesday from Incheon to the resort island of Jeju. It sank in frigid waters 20 kilometers (roughly 12 miles) off the coast of South Korea's southern peninsula.

Ferry Captain charged with negligence
Navy SEAL: 'You gotta maintain hope'
Outrage grows after ferry sinks

"Mr. Lee is charged with causing the Sewol ship to sink by failing to slow down while sailing the narrow route and making (a) turn excessively," prosecutor Lee Bong-chang told the semi-official Yonhap news agency.

"Lee is also charged with failing to do the right thing to guide the passengers to escape and thereby leading to their death or injury."

If convicted, Lee faces from five years to life in prison.

A South Korean prosecutor said Lee wasn't at the helm of the Sewol when it started to sink; a third mate was at the helm.

Where was captain?

"It is not clear where he was when the accident occurred, although it is clear that he was not in the steering room before the actual accident happened," state prosecutor Jae-Eok Park said.

A crew member, described as the third mate, appeared with Lee and, like the captain, the third mate was in handcuffs. The man was identified only as Park.

It was unclear if he was one of two other crew members who authorities have said also faced arrest in connection with the sinking.

A spokesman for the joint prosecutor and police investigators declined to provide further details.

As the captain left a court hearing early Saturday, police led him to reporters, where he answered questions.

"The tidal current was strong and water temperature was cold, and there was no rescue boat," Lee told reporters, according to CNN affiliate YTN. "So I had everyone stand by and wait for the rescue boat to arrive."

Lee acknowledged that he plotted the ship's course, and then went to his cabin briefly "to tend to something."

It was then, he said, the accident happened.

The third mate, who was at the helm of the ship when Lee left, said he did not make a sharp turn. Rather, he said, "the steering turned much more than usual."

Air pockets may in survival
Sewol ferry captain Lee Joon-Seok was acquitted of murder, avoiding a death sentence, but was sentenced to 36 years in jail on November 11 for his role in the maritime disaster that killed more than 300. Sewol ferry captain Lee Joon-Seok was acquitted of murder, avoiding a death sentence, but was sentenced to 36 years in jail on November 11 for his role in the maritime disaster that killed more than 300.
South Korean ferry sinks
Photos: South Korean ferry sinks Photos: South Korean ferry sinks

The captain was one of at least 174 people rescued soon after the Sewol began to sink, violating an "age-old rule and internationally recognized rule that a captain must stay on the vessel," maritime law attorney Jack Hickey said.

"Pretty much every law, rule, regulation and standard throughout the world says that yes, the captain must stay with the ship until all personnel are safely off of the ship, certainly passengers."

Scores of ships on water, divers plunge below it

Hopes of finding the missing alive dimmed further when the entire boat became submerged Friday. Until then, part of the ship's blue-and-white hull was still poking out of the frigid waters of the Yellow Sea.

The coast guard said workers continued to pump air into the hull of the submerged ship but could not stop its descent.

Still, divers breached the hull of the sunken ferry, and two managed to enter the second deck -- the cargo deck, the South Korean coast guard said. But rough waters forced them out. They didn't find any bodies in their brief search.

The effort was still underway in earnest Saturday morning featuring helicopters circling above the water and about 120 vessels -- from large warships to fishing ships to dinghies -- in the water, in addition to the divers under it.

Four cranes also sit about 500 yards from the focal point, ready to lift the ferry if and when the order comes in.

That hasn't happened yet, though, with authorities not yet giving up on finding survivors.

Compounding the tragedy, one of those rescued -- a high school vice principal who was on board the ferry along with more than 300 students -- was found hanging from a tree, police said.

Kang Min Kyu, 52, vice principal of Ansan Danwon High School, was among the first survivors to be rescued.

Police said he apparently hanged himself, using a belt, from a tree near a gymnasium in Jindo, where distraught relatives of missing passengers have been camping.

Police confirmed a suicide note was found, but declined to release its contents.

Anger and disgust

South Korean ferry rescue operation  South Korean ferry rescue operation
South Korean ferry rescue operationSouth Korean ferry rescue operation
Scenario shows what sinking feels like
Weather hampering ferry rescue operation
Ferry tragedy: Mother haunted by decision

Relatives of passengers expressed increasing disgust and anger about the lack of explanation from the captain and the pace of the rescue effort.

Some have waited for days in the cold rain at a harbor in Jindo.

Others camped at a nearby gymnasium and auditorium, desperate to hear any news of their loved ones. Relatives overcome with emotion howled and screamed, but to no avail.

"Hurry up, find it faster!" one woman wailed.

Any hope for survival largely hinges on whether passengers may be in air pockets within the ship, which isn't unheard of in such cases.

In May 2013, a tugboat capsized off West Africa. Rescuers pulled out a man from 100 feet below the surface who survived 2½ days inside a 4-square-foot air pocket.

That's one reason family members aren't ready to give up hope.

Part of the frustration stems from the conflicting information reported by officials.

In the hours after the sinking, some analysts speculated the ferry may have veered off course and struck an object. But the South Korean Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries said Thursday that it had approved the boat's intended route, and the actual course did not deviate significantly.

But Kim Soo Hyeon, chief of South Korea's Yellow Sea Maritime Police Agency, later said the ship apparently deviated from its planned route but did not appear to have hit a rock.

'Ship is tilted'

The Ministry of Ocean and Fisheries released a transcript of the conversation between the ferry and center that monitors vessel traffic.

After alerting the center that the ferry was rolling, the Sewol stated that "the body of the ship is tilted to the left. Containers fell over, too."

The control center then asked if people were hurt. Impossible to confirm because it was impossible to move, the ferry responded.

The center told the ferry crew to get people ready for evacuation, and the ferry once again described how hard it was for people to move.

Adding to the pain for families, police said texts and social media messages claiming to be from missing passengers turned out to be fake.

Media outlets, including CNN, shared the texts with a wide audience.

"We will investigate people sending out these messages," said Lee Sung Yoon, head of the combined police and prosecution team.

He said authorities will go after those behind the hoaxes and will "punish them severely."

Read: Woman, 71, survives because stranger wouldn't give up on her

Read: Anguish over South Korean ferry sinking amplified by misinformation

Read: How likely is it there are still survivors?

CNN's Paula Hancocks reported from Jindo, Stella Kim reported from Seoul, and Chelsea J Carter reported and wrote from Atlanta. CNN's Holly Yan, Frances Cha, Kyung Lah, Madison Park and Mariano Castillo also contributed to this report.

Part of complete coverage on
July 25, 2014 -- Updated 0402 GMT (1202 HKT)
South Korean forensics officials say they are sure the body found in a field last month is Yoo Byung Eun.
June 11, 2014 -- Updated 0939 GMT (1739 HKT)
The trial of the captain and crew began, with the accused facing the families of the victims.
May 29, 2014 -- Updated 0252 GMT (1052 HKT)
South Korea's most wanted man, who is believed to have ties to the company that operated the ill-fated Sewol ferry, has eluded arrest for weeks.
May 19, 2014 -- Updated 1909 GMT (0309 HKT)
South Korea's President apologized for a ferry disaster that killed close to 300 people and said she would dismantle the country's coast guard.
May 16, 2014 -- Updated 0323 GMT (1123 HKT)
Here are 7 major factors that contributed to the ship's sinking.
April 30, 2014 -- Updated 1721 GMT (0121 HKT)
The words and images from the cell phone of a girl who perished on the South Korean ferry convey the rising panic aboard.
May 14, 2014 -- Updated 0556 GMT (1356 HKT)
In one video, the captain of the sinking South Korean ferry scrambles to safety. In another, stranded passengers panic.
April 27, 2014 -- Updated 1456 GMT (2256 HKT)
As the death toll from the ferry disaster continues to rise, yellow ribbons have evolved into a national sign of grief.
April 27, 2014 -- Updated 1452 GMT (2252 HKT)
Choi Duk-Ha, 17, is credited for saving the lives of many on the ferry. He later died and is now hailed as a hero.
April 28, 2014 -- Updated 1931 GMT (0331 HKT)
CNN's Nic Robertson reports on the rising anger as South Koreans learn more about the final moments of the doomed vessel.
April 24, 2014 -- Updated 0314 GMT (1114 HKT)
CNN's Erin Burnett talks to Ship stability expert Paul Roden about whether the cargo lead to the ferry disaster.
April 25, 2014 -- Updated 1606 GMT (0006 HKT)
South Korea is not only a nation in mourning, but also a country overwhelmed with guilt. CNN's Paula Hancocks reports.
April 23, 2014 -- Updated 1915 GMT (0315 HKT)
Park Jee Young, 22, helped passengers escape and distributed life jackets as the stricken ferry began to sink, refusing to wear one herself. It cost her life.
April 23, 2014 -- Updated 1104 GMT (1904 HKT)
Such bravery has been conspicuously absent from two major maritime disasters in recent times.
April 21, 2014 -- Updated 1148 GMT (1948 HKT)
South Korean students remember their vice principal, who took his own life after the ferry sinking.
April 19, 2014 -- Updated 1930 GMT (0330 HKT)
The captain of the sunken South Korean ferry is defending his actions as rescuers continue the search for survivors.
April 20, 2014 -- Updated 0201 GMT (1001 HKT)
CNN's Kyung Lah reports on suicide in South Korea following news of a capsized ferry.