Skip to main content

Amnesty: Nigeria warned of Boko Haram raid at girls school, failed to act

By Vladimir Duthiers, Isha Sesay and Chelsea J. Carter, CNN
May 11, 2014 -- Updated 0031 GMT (0831 HKT)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • "We must investigate" the claims, Nigeria's minister of state for defense says
  • Jonathan believes the girls are still in the Nigeria, despite U.S. assessment
  • Nigerian forces had warning of Boko Haram attack on school, Amnesty says
  • U.S. and British teams arrived to help Nigeria plan the fight against Boko Haram

Abuja, Nigeria (CNN) -- What did the Nigerian government know about the mass abduction of schoolgirls by Boko Haram militants, and when did it know it?

Those are the tough questions being asked after an explosive report made public Friday accused Nigerian military commanders of knowing the terror group was on its way to raid a boarding school in the town of Chibok at least four hours before 276 girls were abducted.

The findings by human rights group Amnesty International echo accounts of a number of the parents and villagers, who have described to CNN an ineffective military response in the days and weeks after the girls were abducted.

President Goodluck Jonathan's government vowed to investigate the allegations even as it defended its military response and questioned the motive behind the accounts.

"This is really outrageous, unbelievable," Minister of Information Labaran Maku told CNN.

New fears for kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls
Weeks after the April 14 kidnapping of 276 Nigerian girls, worried families and supporters have blamed the government for not doing enough to find them. Their cries have spread worldwide on social media under the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls. From regular people to celebrities, here are some of the people participating in the movement. Weeks after the April 14 kidnapping of 276 Nigerian girls, worried families and supporters have blamed the government for not doing enough to find them. Their cries have spread worldwide on social media under the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls. From regular people to celebrities, here are some of the people participating in the movement.
'Bring Back Our Girls!'
HIDE CAPTION
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
>
>>
Bring Back Our Girls Bring Back Our Girls
How do we track down abducted girls?
Map: Where the girls were kidnapped  Map: Where the girls were kidnapped
Map: Where the girls were kidnappedMap: Where the girls were kidnapped

The moment the Nigerian government heard of the abduction, "we went in to action," Maku said. "...We shouldn't turn this into a trial of the Nigerian government."

Even as he vowed an investigation into the claims, Maku said it was "inconceivable" that soldiers on duty would not respond to a potential attack on a school.

Hours after Nigeria's defense ministry dismissed the report's findings as "unfortunate and untrue," the country's minister of state for defense vowed to get to the bottom of the allegation.

"We must investigate and ensure we get to the root of it," Musiliu Olatunde Obanikoro told CNN. "And any necessary actions will be taken to ensure such a thing doesn't reoccur."

'No reinforcements'

Scrutiny of the government's response has escalated amid international outrage over the mass abduction, with many asking why Nigeria did not mount a larger response or ask for international help.

The Amnesty International report alleges that after Nigerian commanders were informed of the pending attack, they were unable to raise enough troops to respond.

The commanders left a contingent of between 15 and 17 soldiers and a handful of police officers in Chibok to fend off the militants, the group reported.

"When it was clear these girls had been abducted, no reinforcements were sent to the town," Makmid Kamara, a researcher with Amnesty International, told CNN.

The report was based on the reports of more than a dozen people, including two senior Nigerian military officials, who gave varying, but consistent accounts, Kamara said.

But Nigeria's defense ministry disputed the findings, saying the first word received was of an ongoing attack at Chibok.

The troops "did not receive four hours forewarning about the attacks," according to a statement released by Maj. Gen. Chris Olukolade, a ministry spokesman. "Rather, they received information of an ongoing attack on Chibok from troops on patrol" who saw the attack and took on the militants.

Borno state Sen. Ahmed Zannah said Friday that the military sent reinforcements, but not until the militants were already in Chibok.

'The soldiers were not there'

As many as 200 Boko Haram fighters carried out the Chibok school raid, Amnesty reported, herding the girls out of bed under the cover of darkness after a firefight with the handful of security forces in the town.

The Nigerian government has claimed it responded, with troops, helicopters and airplanes in the immediate aftermath of the mass abduction.

But the father of two of the girls taken told CNN there has been little sign of military help.

He said first learned of the attack in a telephone call from a friend in Chibok, who told him the town was under attack by Boko Haram.

"Pray for us," the friend told the father, whose identity is being withheld out of a fear of possible reprisal by Boko Haram and the government.

The next day, the father learned his daughters and three nieces had been snatched.

He and his family sought out the help of the military in the area. But, he says, "the soldiers were not there."

Days later, a meeting was called by the elders of Chibok. "They said the army will be there and a civilian detail will be there -- to accompany us into the bush" to search for the girls, he said.

But no military or government officials showed up, he said.

"Nothing. Nothing. Up to 21 days, nothing has been done," he said.

'Unfair' criticism

Nigerian officials have frequently been criticized for failing to prevent Boko Haram's deadly attacks, particularly in the terror group's stronghold of northeastern Nigeria.

Obanikoro, the minister of state for defense, called the criticism "grossly unfair."

Former Boko Haram hostage speaks out
Freed Nigerian girls speak about attack
Women in Abuja, Nigeria, hold a candlelight vigil on Wednesday, May 14, one month after nearly 300 schoolgirls were kidnapped by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram. The abductions have attracted national and international outrage. Women in Abuja, Nigeria, hold a candlelight vigil on Wednesday, May 14, one month after nearly 300 schoolgirls were kidnapped by the Islamist militant group Boko Haram. The abductions have attracted national and international outrage.
Nigerians protest over kidnapped schoolgirls
HIDE CAPTION
<<
<
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
>
>>
Photos: Nigerians protest over kidnapped girls Photos: Nigerians protest over kidnapped girls

At least 2,000 people have died in violence in northern Nigeria this year alone, Amnesty said. The most recent Boko Haram attack killed at least 310 people in a town that had been used as a staging ground for troops searching for the missing girls.

U.S. and British officials have arrived in Abuja to supplement a U.S. team already on the ground there, according to officials.

They will help Nigeria's government look for the missing girls, plan rescue missions and advise on ways to subdue Boko Haram.

"This isn't time for a blame game. We are happy help is coming," Obanikoro said.

U.S. officials, at least, say they are unlikely to commit troops to combat operations.

And it's unclear if Nigeria would allow U.S. or U.K. troops on the ground. "We know the experiences the two nations are bringing to the table, and we intend to ensure that that wealth of experience is" used to bring about an end to the situation, Obanikoro said.

'Many soldiers are afraid'

According to Amnesty, civilian officials in a nearby town and leaders of an armed vigilante group organized by the military informed nearby military posts that armed militants had passed through on their way to Chibok hours before the April 14 assault on the boarding school.

The human rights group said an official in the village of Gagilam told its investigators that residents had spoken of strangers who passed through on motorcycles, saying they were on their way to Chibok. The group cited another official as saying the men had asked herders for directions to the school.

The group also cited unnamed senior Nigerian commanders as saying they were aware of the attack even before the calls from the civilian leaders and vigilante groups. But they weren't able to muster enough troops to respond, Amnesty cited the commanders as saying.

"There's a lot of frustration, exhaustion and fatigue among officers and (troops) based in the hotspots," Amnesty quoted one of the unnamed commanders as saying. "Many soldiers are afraid to go to the battle fronts."

Where are the girls?

Boko Haram's leader, Abubakar Shekau, took credit for the mass kidnappings in a video that surfaced this week. He said he planned to sell the girls into slavery.

A few escapees shared harrowing tales of escaping into a nearby forest.

U.S. Navy Rear Adm. John Kirby, who serves as Pentagon press secretary, said officials believe the girls "have been broken up into smaller groups" but declined to detail how they came to the conclusion. His sentiment has been echoed by others.

"The search must be in Niger, Cameroon and Chad, to see if we can find information," said Gordon Brown, a former UK prime minister and the U.N.'s special envoy for global education.

But Jonathan believes the girls are still in Nigeria, somewhere in the Sambisa forest.

"If they move that number of girls into Cameroon, people will see. So I believe they are still in Nigeria," he said.

International outrage has escalated over the nation's largely ineffective effort to subdue Boko Haram.

Amnesty is not the first to accuse Nigeria of failing to take enough action to stop the Chibok raid or other attacks, or to stage a forceful enough response in the aftermath.

Jonathan waited three weeks before speaking to the nation on the matter. He said that rescue efforts were under way at the time but that they could not be disclosed publicly.

"In a hostage situation, time is of the essence," Kirby said. "We lost some time."

International response

The international effort to buttress that fight ratcheted up Friday with the arrival of U.S. and British advisers.

Six U.S. military advisers arrived Friday, a U.S. official told CNN. They will join a team of U.S. and British officials already in Nigeria, helping find the girls, planning rescue efforts and devising strategies to help subdue Boko Haram.

A British team drawn from the country's Department for International Development, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office and the Ministry of Defence also arrived in Abuja on Friday, the British foreign office said.

France also said it is sending a team but didn't provide specifics on what expertise it will bring.

British satellites and advanced tracking capabilities also will be used, and China has promised to provide any intelligence gathered by its satellite network, Nigeria said.

There are no plans to send U.S. combat troops, Kirby said.

CNN's Isha Sesay and Vladimir Duthiers reported from Abuja, and Chelsea J. Carter reported and wrote from Atlanta. CNN's Erin Burnett, Wolf Blitzer, Faith Karimi, Elise Labott and Michael Pearson also contributed to this report.

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
June 10, 2014 -- Updated 1041 GMT (1841 HKT)
Arwa Damon meets two young orphans, now in Niger, whose mother died years ago -- and whose father was killed in a Boko Haram attack in Nigeria.
June 10, 2014 -- Updated 1041 GMT (1841 HKT)
A small river marks the border between Niger and Nigeria -- a shallow divide between security and the horrors of Boko Haram.
June 10, 2014 -- Updated 0959 GMT (1759 HKT)
CNN's Arwa Damon reports that U.S. sources now believe Boko Haram insurgents may be hiding on the islands of Lake Chad.
June 5, 2014 -- Updated 1915 GMT (0315 HKT)
Isha Sesay talks to journalist Aminu Abubakar who says approximately 500 people have been killed in northeastern Nigeria.
June 4, 2014 -- Updated 1007 GMT (1807 HKT)
A policeman stand beside children holding as members of Lagos based civil society groups hold rally calling for the release of missing Chibok school girls at the state government house, in Lagos, Nigeria, on May 5, 2014. Boko Haram on Monday claimed the abduction of hundreds of schoolgirls in northern Nigeria that has triggered international outrage, threatening to sell them as
Police in Nigeria's capital Tuesday made a U-turn, saying a ban on protests in support of the more than 200 girls kidnapped in April does not exist.
May 27, 2014 -- Updated 0636 GMT (1436 HKT)
A top Nigerian official claims to know where the missing schoolgirls are located, as Arwa Damon reports.
May 26, 2014 -- Updated 2100 GMT (0500 HKT)
Arwa Damon reports on Nigerian schools sitting empty as residents live in fear of Boko Haram.
May 21, 2014 -- Updated 2311 GMT (0711 HKT)
A large part of northern and central Nigeria is now at the mercy of intensified attacks by Boko Haram, and the group seems to be embarking on a new phase of its campaign.
May 21, 2014 -- Updated 1402 GMT (2202 HKT)
Half of a yellow sun poster
It's one of the most important Nigerian stories to hit the big screen -- yet the director says Nigeria's bureaucracy is purposely preventing its release.
May 19, 2014 -- Updated 1151 GMT (1951 HKT)
Opinion: The media turns Boko Haram into 'superstar monsters' -- which is exactly what they want.
May 13, 2014 -- Updated 1224 GMT (2024 HKT)
CNN's Nima Elbagir speaks with the mothers of two missing Nigerian schoolgirls.
May 12, 2014 -- Updated 1318 GMT (2118 HKT)
With fear in her eyes, a young woman tells CNN's Nima Elbagir, the first journalist to visit Chibok, how she fled gun-toting Islamic extremists.
April 11, 2014 -- Updated 1039 GMT (1839 HKT)
Over the last 20 years, the narrative on the African continent has shifted from Afro-pessimism to Afro-optimism.
May 8, 2014 -- Updated 1125 GMT (1925 HKT)
Women in repressive countries are fighting back against injustice, writes Frida Ghitis.
March 4, 2014 -- Updated 1346 GMT (2146 HKT)
Biyi Bandele, who recently directed Oscar nominated Chiwetel Ejiofor in "Half of a Yellow Sun," discusses his remarkable journey.
May 11, 2014 -- Updated 0231 GMT (1031 HKT)
From regular people to celebrities, here are some of the people participating in the movement.
April 11, 2014 -- Updated 0933 GMT (1733 HKT)
Nigeria woke up to a brand new economy, apparently. But the country are suffering and its people responded with a hiss.
April 7, 2014 -- Updated 0900 GMT (1700 HKT)
At 23, many people around the world are still at university -- at that age, Gossy Ukanwoke had already started one.
April 18, 2014 -- Updated 1623 GMT (0023 HKT)
Oprah, if you're reading this, for goodness sake return this woman's calls.
Are you in Nigeria? Share your thoughts on the schoolgirls' kidnapping, but please stay safe.
ADVERTISEMENT