World's top 20 museums
June 17, 2014 -- Updated 1331 GMT (2131 HKT)
Leading the world's museums in decorative arts and design, the V&A in London attracted just under 3.3 million visitors in 2013.
20. Victoria and Albert Museum, London
19. Science Museum, London
18. National Museum of Natural Science, Taiwan
17. Musee d'Orsay, Paris
16. Shanghai Science & Technology Museum
15. Centre Pompidou, Paris
14. National Gallery of Art, Washington
13. National Palace Museum, Taiwan
12. Tate Modern, London
11. National Museum of American History
10. American Museum of Natural History
9. Natural History Museum, London
8. Vatican Museums
7. National Gallery, London
6. Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
5. British Museum, London
4. National Air and Space Museum
3. National Museum of China, Beijing
2. National Museum of Natural History
1. Louvre, Paris
- Six of the most visited museums of 2013 are in London
- The world's most visited museum is home to Leonardo da Vinci's "Mona Lisa"
- Overall, 2013 attendance at the top 20 museums was up by more than 7% from 2012
(CNN) -- A woman with a mysterious smile is one of the most magnetic draws at the world's most popular museum.
Not familiar with her? Here's another hint: This centuries-old museum took a breathtaking modern leap in 1989 with the introduction of a glass pyramid outside.
The art of copying at the Louvre
Behind the scenes of the Louvre
CNN goes inside Paris' Louvre Museum
Not surprisingly, the Louvre in Paris is the world's most visited museum, with 9.3 million visitors last year, according to the 2013 Museum Index.
The index, released this month as part of the TEA/AECOM Global Attractions Attendance Report, is in its second year of tracking museum attendance.
The report tracks top museums in Europe, the United States, Canada and the Asia-Pacific region. Next year, Mexico and Latin America will be included in the museum category, according to engineering design firm AECOM, one of the organizations behind the index.
The top 20 museums for 2013 include six museums in London, thanks in part to the heavily promoted 2012 Olympic Games, which brought a boost in visitor interest in the city. Four museums in Washington, three in Paris, two in New York, two in China, two in Taiwan and one in Vatican City round out the rest of the list.
Click through the gallery above to see all the world's most visited museums.
World's top 25 amusement parks
And the top spot in Europe is ...
Today's five most popular stories