- Definition of heavy drinking varies slightly and is different for men and women
- Heavy drinking is defined as 8 or more drinks a week for women, 15 or more for men
- Heavy drinking is the third leading cause of preventable death
(CNN)Sheldon Shiraki sits at the bar in the trendy Fritti restaurant in Atlanta, happily sipping an ice cold cocktail.
Too much -- or not enough?
How to cut back
Keep your drinking at a moderate level with these suggestions:
1) Think about what it does to your waistline. On a typical night out, women in one study consumed 1,000 calories in alcohol alone.
2) Don't rely on willpower -- control your environment to limit your exposure to alcohol.
3) Replace drinking with another activity, like playing tennis or watching a movie with friends.