Skip to main content
Part of complete coverage on

F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone walks free after $100M settlement

August 5, 2014 -- Updated 2059 GMT (0459 HKT)
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • German court orders Bernie Ecclestone to pay $100 million
  • Sum is a settlement to end F1 supremo's trial on bribery charges
  • Ecclestone has been given a week to pay the fine
  • The 83-year-old had been facing up to 10 years in jail if found guiltuy

Follow us at @WorldSportCNN and like us on Facebook

(CNN) -- The head of Formula One has avoided possible conviction on bribery charges after agreeing to pay $100 million.

A German court ruled Tuesday that it would accept an offer from Bernie Ecclestone to bring an early end to proceedings, which had already lasted three months.

Presiding judge Peter Noll gave the 83-year-old British businessman a week to make payments of $99 million to the Bavarian state treasury and $1 million to a local charity which looks after terminally ill children.

F1's Ecclestone to stand trial for bribery
Ecclestone: American races good for F1

Ecclestone, who has always denied any wrongdoing, was accused of bribing a German banker eight years go over the sale of a controlling interest in the company that runs the elite division of motorsport.

Under German law there is a provision to halt criminal proceedings to avoid long and costly court cases where a conviction might be difficult to achieve and after a negotiation between prosecutors and the defense.

"While charges could have been pursued against the accused, the court took into consideration the age of the accused, his health and the considerable burden of attending court in a foreign country with all the language difficulties that entails and the public attention," Noll said in his summing up.

Ecclestone, whose fortune is valued by Forbes at over $4 billion, was asked by Noll if he could make the payment. "Yes" came the reply.

Ecclestone's defense lawyer Sven Thomas added: "That's do-able."

It brought down the curtain on proceedings in Munich that could have ended in a jail sentence of up to 10 years and the loss of his position at the helm of F1.

Outside the court, Thomas told reporters: "This is not about a conviction, but a cessation of the trial with no admission of guilt.

Ecclestone reveals Concorde Agreement
F1 chief: Sport, politics should not mix

"There will be no guilty verdict whatsoever and that clearly changes the situation in terms of the evidence and legal position, otherwise the talks between the prosecution and defense would not have been possible."

The controversy dates back to 2006, when the German regional bank BayernLB sold its 47.2% stake in F1 to the current majority shareholder, CVC Capital Partners -- a private equity firm.

The prosecution claimed Ecclestone paid Gerhard Gribkowsky, formerly the chief risk officer of BayernLB, a sweetener of $44 million to steer the sale to CVC, so he could remain in charge of F1.

Ecclestone admitted the payment to Gribhowsky, but only after the banker threatened to make damaging claims about his tax status to Britain's HM Revenue and Customs.

The case revealed that he had avoided a £1.2 billion ($2 billion) bill through a legal tax avoidance scheme, and had settled with British tax authorities by paying £10 million.

He has been attending court, mostly accompanied by his wife Fabiana Flos, for two days per week while still running F1 -- a job he has held for over 40 years.

Ecclestone had been warned by CVC that a guilty verdict would have resulted him being losing that coveted role, having won a civil case in Britain in February after being accused of undervaluing F1 in the sale.

Read: Ferrari 'has veto over Ecclestone successor'

ADVERTISEMENT
Part of complete coverage on
Track the buzz of the 2014 Formula One season, race by race, with all the latest social reaction from motorsport experts.
He's the best of the rest -- Daniel Ricciardo has been Formula One's surprise package in the first half of the 2014 season.
July 24, 2014 -- Updated 1135 GMT (1935 HKT)
Formula One is not likely to go hungry in Hungary as master chefs cater in volume for drivers, teams and VIP guests.
July 3, 2014 -- Updated 1443 GMT (2243 HKT)
It's the elephant in the room of Formula One. What's the prognosis legendary driver Michael Schumacher?
May 23, 2014 -- Updated 2310 GMT (0710 HKT)
It stimulates all five senses, creating an unparalleled experience for drivers and fans alike. Take a tour of Monaco with Mark Webber.
May 22, 2014 -- Updated 1233 GMT (2033 HKT)
To be a champion you must win a title -- but to become an F1 legend you must win races at Monaco, the calendar's most testing circuit.
May 21, 2014 -- Updated 1459 GMT (2259 HKT)
Caterham F1 reserve driver Alexander Rossi takes you on a tour of the Monaco racing circuit.
May 5, 2014 -- Updated 1238 GMT (2038 HKT)
The Formula One driver transcended his sport and even 20 years after his death, Ayrton Senna commands the adoration of fans worldwide.
May 1, 2014 -- Updated 1500 GMT (2300 HKT)
TO GO WITH AFP STORY IN ARABIC BY SUHEIL HOWAYEK: (FILES) Brazilian F1 driver Ayrton Senna adjusts his rear view mirror in the pits 01 May 1994 before the start of the San Marino Grand Prix. Senna died after crashing in the seventh lap. Some 45 drivers, including Senna and Canadian Gilles Villeneuve, have been killed during Formula One races whose tracks are dubbed by some as the 'circuits of death.' AFP PHOTO/JEAN-LOUP GAUTREAU (Photo credit should read JEAN-LOUP GAUTREAU/AFP/Getty Images)
F1's greatest racer was killed during the San Marino Grand Prix on May 1 1994. The sport hasn't been the same since.
April 30, 2014 -- Updated 1516 GMT (2316 HKT)
Just four F1 drivers turned up to Roland Ratzenberger's funeral after his death during qualifying for the San Marino Grand Prix on April 30 1994.
April 25, 2014 -- Updated 1156 GMT (1956 HKT)
For a championship with a distinctly Iberian streak, it is no surprise that South America should be high on MotoGP's list of territories to conquer.
April 18, 2014 -- Updated 1113 GMT (1913 HKT)
Susie Wolff, pictured, will become the Formula One's first female competitor in 20 years when she takes part in the first practice sessions at the British and German grands prix in July.
Too weak. Can't handle the pressure. Susie Wolff has heard it all -- but she is determined to become the first female F1 driver in 20 years.
ADVERTISEMENT