ISIS claims responsibility for terror attacks that killed more than 120 people in Paris Friday
Here's the latest on what we know about the massacre and the aftermath
Investigations into the series of terrorist attacks that killed more than 120 people in Paris are moving forward, with people taken into custody and two of the gun-wielding suicide bombers identified.
ISIS claimed responsibility for the massacres in a statement. In response, France has carried out air strikes on targets in the militant organization’s stronghold in Raqqa, Syria.
Here is what we know so far:
– State of Emergency remains – 1,500 troops deployed to secure “particularly strategic” locations.
– More than 150 police anti-terror raids conducted in cities across France.
– A fourth attacker has been identified from the Bataclan massacre as Samy Amimour, aged 28, the Paris prosecutors office announced.
– A worldwide manhunt is underway for Belgian-born French national Salah Abdeslam, who is suspected of being involved in the attacks. French police released his photo and warned that he is “dangerous.” Sources told CNN that he was stopped and questioned by French police shortly after the attacks.
– The French Air Force carried out bombing missions over Raqqa early Monday. Targets included a command center, recruitment center, ammunition storage base and a training camp. There’s been no information on casualties or any damage assessments.
– Prior to Friday’s attacks, Iraq shared intelligence that ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi had ordered an attack on countries fighting against ISIS, though there were no specifics about when or where the attack would take place, a senior Iraqi official has said.
– Paris attacks left 129 people dead and 352 wounded, including 99 who are in a very serious condition. Two of seven terrorists have been named.
What happened in Paris?
– Three teams of terrorists staged coordinated attacks at six locations throughout Paris late Friday, including a concert hall, the Stade de France and at least two restaurants, Paris prosecutor Francois Molins said Saturday.
– Molins said that at least 129 people were killed and 352 wounded in the attacks. Ninety-nine of the wounded are reported to be in a very serious condition, he said.
– Molins said seven terrorists were killed, one fewer than the number ISIS claimed were involved.
– Two of the dead attackers have been identified – one is Ismael Omar Mostefai, 29, according to Jean-Pierre Gorges, the mayor of the French town of Chartres. The other, according to several sources, is Bilal Hafdi, 19 or 20. Mostefai lived in Chartres at least until 2012, said Gorges via Facebook.
– Six people, all relatives of Mostefai, have been detained, the Paris prosecutor’s office said Sunday. It is common practice in criminal cases in France to place family members in custody. Mostefai’s relatives have been neither charged nor arrested.
– Eyewitness accounts and videos showed a black Seat and a black Volkswagen Polo, which is registered in Belgium, as two cars used in the Paris attacks, Molins said Saturday. The Polo was rented by a French national living in Belgium, according to Molins. The individual was intercepted at the Belgian border during a control carried out by authorities Saturday morning as he was inside another vehicle, which was neither the black Polo nor the black Seat. There were also two other people on board that vehicle, who live in the Brussels area, Molins said. The three individuals were not previously known by French authorities, Molins stressed.
– The black Seat was found in the eastern Paris suburb of Montreuil, a spokeswoman for the Paris prosecutor’s office said Sunday. CNN affiliate BFMTV reported that authorities found three Kalashnikov automatic rifles in the car.
– The discovery raises the possibility that at least one attacker drove the car to the Montreuil and remains at large.
– European officials believe there is “a very professional new squad of terrorists inserting themselves into some of these migrant voyages,” according to a French senator briefed by the Interior Ministry. Citing fingerprint evidence, the senator said that one of the suicide bombers at the Stade de France was carrying a fake Syrian passport and arrived among the refugees on the Greek island of Leros on October 3. The senator also said that two other suicide bombers at the Stade de France carried fake Turkish passports.
– U.S. intelligence and law enforcement officials are concerned the Paris attackers “went dark,” i.e., used encrypted communications to avoid surveillance.
Where were the attacks?
Bataclan concert hall
– This was the deadliest site, with at least 89 people killed, Molins said.
– Three attackers with assault rifles arrived in a car, entered the concert venue and opened fire. They took audience members hostage and regrouped them in front of the stage, which is why most of the victims were found there, Molins said. The attackers talked about Syria and Iraq during a brief address.
– Police stormed the theater in a rescue operation. Two of the attackers killed themselves by detonating suicide belts and one was killed by police gunfire and his suicide belt.
– Eagles of Death Metal, a blues rock band from Palm Desert, California, had been performing.
– A witness told Radio France that the attackers entered firing pump rifles and shouting “Allahu akbar.”
Stade de France
– Four people were killed outside the sports stadium in Saint-Denis, a suburb north of Paris: three suicide bombers and a man who had been walking by, Molins said.
– France was playing Germany in a soccer match at the time.
– A witness, Gabriel Haddad, said two explosions could be heard in the background during the game. Molins said three explosions occurred over 32 minutes outside the stadium: two immediately outside the stadium and one 400 meters away.
– President Francois Hollande was at the stadium and among those who were evacuated following the attacks.
Restaurants, cafes, bars
– Fifteen people were killed as attackers opened fire at the intersection of rue Alibert and rue Bichat, in the 10th district of Paris near the Canal Saint Martin. Many of the victims were gathered at Le Petit Cambodge, a restaurant, and Le Carillon, a bar, that are situated on either side of rue Bichat.
– About seven minutes later, five people were killed in another shooting outside Cafe Bonne Biere on the corner of rue de la Fontaine au Roi and rue Faubourg du Temple in the 11th district of Paris.
– Around four minutes after that, attackers opened fire with assault weapons on the restaurant La Belle Equipe on rue de Charonne, also in the 11th district. Nineteen people were killed in that shooting.
– After four minutes more, a suicide bomber blew himself up at the cafe Comptoir Voltaire on boulevard Voltaire. Other than the attacker, nobody else was killed, but one person was critically wounded.
The scene in Paris
– Hollande declared a state of emergency across France, which lets authorities limit people’s movements and impose zones of security and protection.
– The French government says its has also tightened border controls to prevent potential attackers from entering and to capture anyone involved in the attacks.
– French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said the gendarmerie paramilitary police are on heightened alert and security forces have been increased across France.
– Hollande ordered 1,500 military troops to join the security forces currently deployed. The troops will secure locations that are “particularly strategic” and will patrol in the heart of Paris, Cazeneuve said.
Reactions around the globe
– U.S. President Barack Obama pledged solidarity with France, saying, “We’ve seen an outrageous attempt to terrorize innocent civilians.”
– A U.S. government official said that at the moment, there is no credible or specific threat to the United States.
– Pope Francis condemned the killings, saying they were a part of the “piecemeal Third World War.” “There is no religious or human justification for it,” he said in a telephone interview with TV2000, the television network of the Italian Bishops’ Conference.
– British Prime Minister David Cameron convened a meeting of the emergency response committee. The threat level in the United Kingdom is at “severe,” meaning a militant attack is considered highly likely.
– Russian leader Vladimir Putin sent condolences to Hollande and the people of France.
– The Netherlands is increasing border security, especially on roads to and from France, according to a spokesman for the Dutch Ministry of Security and Justice. Jean Fransman said extra personnel have been deployed and security at airports has been reinforced.
– Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel “stands shoulder to shoulder to France in this common battle against radical Islamic terrorism.” He has offered his nation’s security and intelligence forces to France and other European nations, should they need assistance.
– As the G20 summit began in Turkey on Sunday, its focus turned to terrorism.
– “The skies have been darkened by the horrific attacks that took place in Paris just a day and a half ago,” U.S. President Barack Obama, in Turkey for the G20 meeting, said Sunday.
– “We here at the G20 summit are sending a resolute signal that we are stronger than any form of terrorism,” German Chancellor Angela Merkel said.
– Monuments around the world were lit up in blue, white and red in solidarity with Paris. In London, the monuments included the London Eye, Tower Bridge and Wembley Stadium. The French flag, lowered to half-staff, is flying at Cameron’s Downing Street office alongside the Union Flag, the office said.
CNN’s Evan Perez, Pat St. Claire and Ralph Ellis contributed to this report.