- Every 19 minutes someone dies from an opioid overdose
- Rate of opioid overdose rose 14% from 2013 to 2014
- Obama administration wants to expand access to addiction treatment services
(CNN)The Obama administration is making it easier for doctors to use anti-addiction drugs in the fight against an exploding epidemic of prescription drug and heroin abuse.
Additional efforts to fight epidemic
- providing an additional $11 million to increase access to naloxone, the opioid overdose reversal drug.
- establishing a Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Parity Task Force.
- ensuring that mental health and substance use benefits are offered as medical and surgical benefits are for those enrolled in Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program.
- a $7 million initiative by the Department of Justice toward policing and investigating heroin distribution.
- guidance from the Department of Health and Human Services for federally funded needle exchange programs.